aberdeen-music

X Factor Winner's Song

Jeanette

It would be that one.

But seriously, there's just some songs that should be left alone. Which poses the question...

What songs should never be covered?

But its never been left alone though, has it?

Its been covered by loads of people already.

There's no point in getting uptight or precious over it - the x factor version will be hated by Buckley fans who are possibly already hated by cale fans who are hated by by Cohen fans.....

Let's face it - you're getting upset over someone covering a cover version you like!

leonard cohen will be laughing all the way to the bank! was it not the reason he toured last year cos he was strapped for cash???

of course the contestants will hate it, they'd rather be doing kareoke versions of songs by mariah carey!

oh well at least a repeat of the peter kay x factor piss take is on this sunday with a follow up show next friday!

I seriously hope that this is a pisstake.

Not particularly. Ok... I admit Hallelujah isn't a good example as... well... there hundreds of versions of it.

People must have songs that they love, for whatever the reasons, that they feel shouldn't be covered - let alone by the X Factor finalists.

I don't really see what the big deal is about that question.

:up:

i think cowell should stretch the limits and get the winner to record a version of a punk classic like 'god save the queen' or 'no more heroes'!!! it'd be an interesting experiment wonder if the masses would buy it!

thing is cowell has ruined the excitement of the christmas number one in his quest to make even more money on top of what he already has! surely its time to ban the x factor song being christmas no 1???

Not particularly. Ok... I admit Hallelujah isn't a good example as... well... there hundreds of versions of it.

People must have songs that they love, for whatever the reasons, that they feel shouldn't be covered - let alone by the X Factor finalists.

I don't really see what the big deal is about that question.

:up:

So... you don't see anything strange in moaning about a cover version of a song that you would have never heard of if somebody hadn't already covered it? :rolleyes:

Guest treader.
It would be that one.

But seriously, there's just some songs that should be left alone. Which poses the question...

What songs should never be covered?

Sorry...surely you're completely contradicting yourself!?

It hadn't been "left alone" when Jeff Buckley released it.

EDIT: I responded without reading the whole thread. Bigsby has that shit down to a tee.

Actually, JLS's version wasn't too bad.

I thought they were both OK, it's one of these songs that is so good it's pretty hard to make a bad version of it.

And Jeanette, the good news is that the exposure for the song via the X Factor's cover will almost certainly cause people to seek out Jeff Buckley's original that you prize so much, so you should be pleased.

You could also support this almost-certainly-doomed-to-fail campaign.

http://www.nme.com/news/jeff-buckley/41533

Ok... I admit Hallelujah isn't a good example as... well... there hundreds of versions of it.
Sorry...surely you're completely contradicting yourself!?

It hadn't been "left alone" when Jeff Buckley released it.

I admitted that Hallelujah wasn't a particularly good example of a song that shouldn't be covered, when the version I prefer is indeed a cover.

I thought they were both OK, it's one of these songs that is so good it's pretty hard to make a bad version of it.

And Jeanette, the good news is that the exposure for the song via the X Factor's cover will almost certainly cause people to seek out Jeff Buckley's original that you prize so much, so you should be pleased.

You could also support this almost-certainly-doomed-to-fail campaign.

Jeff Buckley's 'Hallelujah' in chart battle with 'X Factor' version | News | NME.COM

Both versions were fine, they didn't cruicify it. But neither of them lit the heather on fire so to speak. If anything JLS were more pleasing on the ear.

Yeah, I've already seen the campaign to get Jeff Buckley to Christmas number 1. You'd hope that the exposure of the X Factor cover would get people to seek out whichever other version they want, but I have a feeling that that won't be happening... Perhaps I'm just putting the X Factor single buying public into one huge box...