aberdeen-music

Bettie Page died :(

Metarie

from IMBD:

Legendary pin-up Bettie Page died on Thursday. She was 85.

Page suffered a heart attack last week in Los Angeles and never regained consciousness. She had been hospitalised for three weeks with pneumonia before the heart attack, according to her agent Mark Roesler.

Roesler said in a statement: "With deep personal sadness I must announce that my dear friend and client Bettie Page passed away at 6.41pm Pst this evening in a Los Angeles hospital.

"She died peacefully but had never regained consciousness after suffering a heart attack nine days ago."

Page's trademark curvy figure and raven hair made her a fixture in men's magazines in the 1950s, and the icon found a cult following that lasted long after her modelling days.

The star also landed parts in dozens of silent fetish films in which she often played a dominatrix, but the aspiring actress only had one small speaking role in the 1953 movie Striporama.

American actress Gretchen Mol played Page in the 2005 biopic of her eventful life, The Notorious Bettie Page.

Playboy founder Hugh Hefner, who hand-picked Page to be the Playmate of the Month in January 1955, has paid tribute to the star, saying: "I think that she was a remarkable lady, an iconic figure in pop culture who influenced sexuality, taste in fashion, someone who had a tremendous impact on our society. She was a very dear person."

---------

Say what you want about the hoards of wannabes who have cropped up over the last few years, she set the bar when it came to pin up girls and it's still hard to find a model who could beat her when she was in her prime. Damned shame :(

Never even heard of her.

You'd recognise her. I tried to find a photo but I don't know how suitable they'd be seeing as she's rather naked in most of them. But all those burlesque dancers or 'alt' pin ups on Suicide Girls who have black hair and a blunt fringe took their look from her. She was involved in photoshoots which brought fetish themed photography (spanking, bondage, foot fetish) into the spotlight. Pretty much paved the way for all manner of rudeness!

Guest Giles Walker
I had a quick look on Google images, and I recognise the style of pin-up, but not the woman herself.

That is fascinating, never heard of Bettie Page hey?

I think we need to start a separate thread where we talk about things and you tell us the ones you haven't heard of, then follow up after you have checked on google and see if you actually do know them and had just forgotten or if you infact were right the first time round and don't know them.

But seriously the women was a pioneer of sorts and had a rough life, only finding out about her fame after coming out of a mental institute in the 90s.

I have a tape of some of her reels at my parents house, although i doubt it has survived since i got it in the mid 90s and haven't really thought about since this morning when i saw her obituary.

Sad

Guest Giles Walker
You should stop thinking. :up:

You're probably right because i was thinking of heading down to this cemetery that i like to hang around in and leaving a note on one of your relatives graves just to let people know that i have never heard of them.

I thought it was fair enough since i hang around there alot, letting people know my opinion about things.

I recognise the style of pin-up, but not the woman herself.

This is probably one of the main reasons she's not hugely known, her look has been appropriated by a lot of mainstream media outlets and she never really got any credit or recognition and as Giles said, wasn't even aware of her new lease of fame until her likeness had been already used all over the place.

It's very sad indeed, hugely influential, interesting and very humble woman :(

That is fascinating, never heard of Bettie Page hey?

I think we need to start a separate thread where we talk about things and you tell us the ones you haven't heard of, then follow up after you have checked on google and see if you actually do know them and had just forgotten or if you infact were right the first time round and don't know them.

That was an unusually sarcastic and aggressive dig at someone who didnt really do anything that bad.

I would use stronger language but last time I did I got deducted some rep points.

:up:

My Mum and Dad knew the name of the actress that played Nora Batty that has just died but bizarrely they didn't know who Bettie Page was until i explained to them what she was known for. Sad Times. :down:

To be fair, the wifie who played Nora Batty was on prime time Sunday night BBC TV for about a gazillion years while Bettie Page got her kit off in the 50's.....you can kinda forgive Mater and Pater for that...

To be fair, the wifie who played Nora Batty was on prime time Sunday night BBC TV for about a gazillion years while Bettie Page got her kit off in the 50's.....you can kinda forgive Mater and Pater for that...

My dad would have been a teenager when she was getting her kit off. I would be shocked if it slipped past him ;) My mum maybe can be forgiven for it.

I know who Bettie Page is.

She wasn't mainstream back in the day though, fetish photography and such like was all very hush hush and illegal.

Anyways, sad times indeed, 2008 seems to be the year of celebrity death :(

I'm sure my dad was as fanny-mental as i am, i'd be naive to think that he wasn't looking at random stuff here and there.

As far as i'm aware there haven't been much more in the way of high-profile celebrity deaths this year than there have been any other year *shrugs*.

I'm still not convinced she would've been known over here.....I've only become aware of her in the last few years, through American biopics etc

in the 50s over here it would've been Sabrina, or somesuch,

Think I first saw her name when Jeff Kelly (of Green Pajamas) had a song about her on his 'Ash Wednesday rain' album a few years ago.

Guest Giles Walker
I'm still not convinced she would've been known over here.....I've only become aware of her in the last few years, through American biopics etc

in the 50s over here it would've been Sabrina, or somesuch,

Think I first saw her name when Jeff Kelly (of Green Pajamas) had a song about her on his 'Ash Wednesday rain' album a few years ago.

Well i wasn't lying when i said i had a video of her (and Tempest Storm called Teasarama) in the 90s. There was a rise in interest in her due to a rise in the style she was synonymous with.

There were movies and comics with the same style released in the 90s as well as more artists like Marilyn Manson who used the S&M imagery (Dita Von Teese anyone?) in music videos.

I'm sure that she wasn't that well known in the 50s or 60s though, but i don't buy that this is the first instance that everyone has heard of her. Jesus, i was deeply uncool as a 14/15 year old and i knew who she was.

I'm still deeply uncool infact, just a bit more moody and precious nowadays.

I'm sure my dad was as fanny-mental as i am, i'd be naive to think that he wasn't looking at random stuff here and there.

In your dad's day (hell even in my day in the early 90s) you had to take what you could get your hands on, you couldn't just go onto the internet and download whatever tickled your fancy, you had to make do with a well-worn copy of Razzle that was kicking about down at the railway line.

Anyhoo, maybe your dad was just feigning ignorance in front of your mum, I'll bet if you check the back of his garden shed there's a stack of Betty Page "memorabilia". ;)