aberdeen-music

Bands wanted for aberdeen "super-gig"

sexytunk

I totally agree with all of this.

But I plan on having more of a crew than is probably needed. I plan on doing the stage management myself (and yes, i am a bastard), we'll have 2 sound engineers, drum, guitar, bass techs and a general dogs body doing the general crap of the day. I have spent a lot of time travelling with some pretty decent bands roadieing and teching, so I know how stressful a stage can be at turn overs, especially with a limited stage space. In the second stage it will just be a vocal PA i guess, so turn overs shouldn't be a major headache. Obviously to save time, within the exception of the headline acts we would look to use the same backine as much as possible, so not everything will need line checked at every turn over.

We'll also have someone back stage, with 30 bands roaming around with passes etc, it is gonna be important that we keep things in order and running smoothly.

Everything except drums will need to be line checked in my experience, e.g. if you go from a finger-playing passive bass to a pick-playing active bass without a quick line check you'll be picking shreds of bass speaker off the dancefloor for the rest of the night.

Sounds like you're planning on changing the entire backline at least once, maybe you should look to add 5 minutes to those changeovers.

Spare backline, guitars, cables, skins etc would be another good idea.

I'd also advise having a separate monitor engineer. The FOH position will be so far away from stage that communication will be difficult, problem solving will take longer if the engineer has to run back and fore from the stage and it puts an immense amount of pressure on the FOH engineer asking them to do 15 bands AND their monitors in those conditions.

Most importantly, make sure the crew/engineers who don't have time to go and eat are fed and watered.(OK, it's maybe not the most important thing but it seems pretty damn important when you're starving 10 bands into a 15 band gig).

Everything except drums will need to be line checked in my experience, e.g. if you go from a finger-playing passive bass to a pick-playing active bass without a quick line check you'll be picking shreds of bass speaker off the dancefloor for the rest of the night.

Sounds like you're planning on changing the entire backline at least once, maybe you should look to add 5 minutes to those changeovers.

Spare backline, guitars, cables, skins etc would be another good idea.

I'd also advise having a separate monitor engineer. The FOH position will be so far away from stage that communication will be difficult, problem solving will take longer if the engineer has to run back and fore from the stage and it puts an immense amount of pressure on the FOH engineer asking them to do 15 bands AND their monitors in those conditions.

Most importantly, make sure the crew/engineers who don't have time to go and eat are fed and watered.(OK, it's maybe not the most important thing but it seems pretty damn important when you're starving 10 bands into a 15 band gig).

Totally accept the point in regards to a Monitor engineer. To be honest the PA side is totally going to be left to Jimi Troup, whatever he says goes really. If he says we need 30 sound engineers thats what we'll have.:rockon: But in all seriousness Jimi will have done this a million times before, thats why it will be left to him,

We'll make sure there is plenty spare gear on hand if need be. I take your point in regards to line checks, but again this is something that will be left in the hands of Jimi. I in no way pretend to be an expert in sound engineering, I will listen and take the advise of those in the know, like yourself. (Remember, plenty Kick eh? ha ha)

As for food, we will have the middle floor bar reserved for food, there will be food on sale (basket suppers etc) and we'll have the music pumped in from the Ballroom in the inhouse system. All bands will get tokens as part of the rider, as will those helping out. Obviously if were having an all day event we need to be providing catering for not only the bands but for those who have come to the gig, otherwise the chances of anyone staying all day are very slim. Again we have a sponsor who is going to pay for the food for the bands and the drink rider.

Tunker

Ah, it's the Trouper doing the PA. It'll be a cold day in hell when he doesn't go into a gig like this fully prepared.

I'll need to go and buy a hat, just so I can take it off., you seems to pretty much have all the angles covered.

Well as i say the Ballroom have been really good in giving advice and idea's, and I have a lot of people around me who are very experienced in this sort of thing. This is not the sort of thing I would do at the drop of a hat, or without having taken advice first, i've been looking into trying this for months. Everyone involved wants this to be a success.

Bit of a different tack here, but just trying to offer some support and different ideas:

are there any other forms of entertainment being provided?

My experience from "all day gigs" is that VERY few people will want, or even be able to physically WATCH 15 bands in a row.

is there a place where people can sit down? - maybe near where the food and drink are being served?

are there any other games of events being played to keep the punters in the building?

I'd also echo Ian comments about needing a monitor engineer and strict adherance to stage times.

But other than that it sounds like you're well on the way to a good event.

I'll put Your Fears (my band) www.myspace.co.uk/yourfearsuk forward as able to play (subject to confirmation of dates as we have quite a few tours planned for next year). [edit: if you want! - of course!]

Cheers

Bit of a different tack here, but just trying to offer some support and different ideas:

are there any other forms of entertainment being provided?

My experience from "all day gigs" is that VERY few people will want, or even be able to physically WATCH 15 bands in a row.

is there a place where people can sit down? - maybe near where the food and drink are being served?

are there any other games of events being played to keep the punters in the building?

I'd also echo Ian comments about needing a monitor engineer and strict adherance to stage times.

But other than that it sounds like you're well on the way to a good event.

I'll put Your Fears (my band) www.myspace.co.uk/yourfearsuk forward as able to play (subject to confirmation of dates as we have quite a few tours planned for next year). [edit: if you want! - of course!]

Cheers

A few people have indicated the same of ideas, and we are currently looking at alternative options for entertainment. I think it could be possible to maybe take in some stalls etc for people to take in. This is something which still needs further investigation, but is something I certainy agree with.

There will a bar which is designated for food and drink away from live music. It will be possible to sit there for as long as needed, or is wanted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, This sounds awesome. I'll definately be there. I'm taking it this is pretty much just a mash up of all genres and stuff?

If you'd like, I can come down and help set up etc? Im no sound engineer, but its a free pair of hands to lift things from A to B? So long as I'm not at uni that day or away home for holidays.

Greg x

Hey, This sounds awesome. I'll definately be there. I'm taking it this is pretty much just a mash up of all genres and stuff?

If you'd like, I can come down and help set up etc? Im no sound engineer, but its a free pair of hands to lift things from A to B? So long as I'm not at uni that day or away home for holidays.

Greg x

Hey man. Yeh it is gonna be a total mix up of genre's etc, trying to offer as much as possible to get as many people down as possible. Gonna have a few surprises as well.

Thanks for the offer but things are pretty much all tidied up in regards to crew etc, but thanks for the offer, and I really appreciate your kind words.

Tunker

Hi,

Hope everyone had a good new year!

Thanks to everyone who has so far sent through links to play at this event! We have brought together a shortlist for the 'Main' Stage of this event. So we will be contacting bands shortly!!!

However, we are looking to put on a second stage, and are thinking we want to put on cover bands, accoustics acts and solo artists. So if you think you fit the bill, lets hear your interest too!

Thanks

Calum

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...