aberdeen-music

Bands wanted for aberdeen "super-gig"

sexytunk

The plans for Aberdeen's "Super-gig" at the Beach Ballroom are very much underway, a date is booked, although I'm not going to release any information on dates etc as of yet.

Can anyone who may be interested in playing send a Myspace/web site link to Scott@rsdltd.co.uk

Or send a demo and band bio to Scott Reid (AKA Tunk), 34 Elmbank Terrace, Aberdeen, AB24 3PD.

Cheers

Tunker

I am working with Scott to try and pull this off.

He should of mentioned this is for a well known loacal charity and we good be looking at raising (in theory) over 10k from this event.

So really if you are interested, in playingin part of a all day event, a massive, excellent music venue, over 2 stages for a damn good cause, get you links up!

I'm not trying to put you boys down but 10k seems like a lot of money to raise from a gig.

Get a few corporate sponsors on board, charge a fairly high price and offer VIP packages and secure decent advertising (allegedly, you can buy a page in the EE for not much cash if it interests them enough) and they'd be well on the way.

Get a few corporate sponsors on board, charge a fairly high price and offer VIP packages and secure decent advertising (allegedly, you can buy a page in the EE for not much cash if it interests them enough) and they'd be well on the way.

Never in a million years....

Corporate sponsors.... not easy in the current financial climate, and like to support their own charities...

Even for a charity gig people wont pay more than a tenner for a ticket, and at that price for some local bands you,d sell 4-500 thats 5000 - pa, lights, venue hire, advertising, tickets,

lucky to break even..... I would honestly love to be proved wrong, I would also love to see where you are getting 10000 profit from....wow!!

Never in a million years....

Corporate sponsors.... not easy in the current financial climate, and like to support their own charities...

Even for a charity gig people wont pay more than a tenner for a ticket, and at that price for some local bands you,d sell 4-500 thats 5000 - pa, lights, venue hire, advertising, tickets,

lucky to break even..... I would honestly love to be proved wrong, I would also love to see where you are getting 10000 profit from....wow!!

Hey guys,

Well I totally understand everyones concerns. But before we took this idea forward we got support from the EE and still hope to get some help from Northsound. We realised this would be a major factor in attracting financial support, however it proved not to be the case.

Fortunately within my job i have contact with all the major oil fileld and energy suppliers, and have ALREADY recieved not only financial support from them but also helpful offers of free advertising tools, posters tickets etc.

The Ballroom have also been very helpful and we have come up with a package which is very affordable. Financially we are covered and there are no problems. All we now rely on is people coming to the gig. Do you not think people will pay 10 to see 30 bands on one day? The 10'000 is the figure we came to from selling all 1000 tickets @10, in mind that we have all costs covered.

I look forward to more feedback.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

Hey,

I'm sure Tunker has done his calculations, and the 10k profit raised for charity would be based on a selling the place out.

As an idea, I put on a charity do through my work at Moshulu earlier in the year - set up was just like a normal gig - 4 local bands, fiver a ticket. We raised 800 for charity, and the main pull of the event was The Underkills, which isn't the biggest pulling band in Aberdeen by any stretch of the imagination, so I'm guessing if you get 30 bands involved, it's reasonable to assume you'll sell 1000 tickets - that needs each band to just sell 33/34 tickets each. Bearing in mind the bigger pulling bands could sell 100 or so each, it's very achievable.

I realise 1000 tickets at 10 is gross 10,000, so costs would need to be taken into account, but I can see how 5000-8000 could be raised here.

Good luck guys :up:

Hey,

I'm sure Tunker has done his calculations, and the 10k profit raised for charity would be based on a selling the place out.

As an idea, I put on a charity do through my work at Moshulu earlier in the year - set up was just like a normal gig - 4 local bands, fiver a ticket. We raised 800 for charity, and the main pull of the event was The Underkills, which isn't the biggest pulling band in Aberdeen by any stretch of the imagination, so I'm guessing if you get 30 bands involved, it's reasonable to assume you'll sell 1000 tickets - that needs each band to just sell 33/34 tickets each. Bearing in mind the bigger pulling bands could sell 100 or so each, it's very achievable.

Good luck guys :up:

Again no costs will be taken from ticket sales, all money from tickets will go direct to Clan. All costs incurred to run the event will be covered by organization's who have agreed to donate to the gig, in one way or another. But in saying that, we are really relying on people coming to the gig for this to be worthwhile

Fortunately within my job i have contact with all the major oil fileld and energy suppliers, and have ALREADY recieved not only financial support from them but also helpful offers of free advertising tools, posters tickets etc.

Well if you have covered the costs of venue, pa, tickets, lights, advertising etc etc etc, then thats great. Im still very sceptical about you selling 1000 tickets (I thought the fire limit was 800 at the ballroom) there was a country and western charity (clan) gig there the other night which did 400, but honestly, best of luck.

Well if costs are covered, and capacity is 1,000, then you 10k is there to be made. If capacity is 800, then there's still 8k to be made.

Hope it all goes to plan mate, and aside from making a load of money for charity, that it's a cracking day for all the bands and music fans!

:up:

I totally understand your scepticism Graeme, but this is not something I have taken on lightly. I have looked at all avenues before taking this on, and I can't guanantee that we will sell every ticket, but the event certainly isn't going to put anyone out of pocket

I had a meeting last week with the Manager and area Manager for the Beach Ball room, and we discussed all eventualities, it was then that I was advised we could sell 1000 tickets.

I realise that people will have there doubts about whether or not this can be a success, but I am working my ass off to make this work, but as I say, I still need people to come to the event to make it worthwhile.

Tunker

o_O

You got Clark Kent in to do the changeovers have you?

My understanding is there will be 2 stages. 30 minute sets, I'm guessing. So if you run from 12noon till 11pm which gives you 11 hours.

30 minutes x 15 bands per stage is only 7 and half hours, leaving 3 and a half hours for changeovers. Divide that by 14 (number of changeovers) gives you 15 minute per changeover. You don't need Clark Kent to achieve that.

The event is maybe running till midnight is it? Which would allow for longer set times for the headline acts.

People need to stop being so pessimistic when someone tries to actually go out and do something. Do you really think the Beach Ballroom would agree to this if they didn't think it was seriously going to work. Okay, they'll get their knock down fee paid regardless of how much of a success it is, but at the same time, they will have worked through it like Tunker says.

It's not just chucking a gig on at 100 capacity venue - there's obviously a lot of thought gone into this, and he's not going to say "30 bands" if in reality they can only get 10 bands, and he's not going to say "10,000" if in reality they're going to be breaking even.

Again, good luck with it :up:

My understanding is there will be 2 stages. 30 minute sets, I'm guessing. So if you run from 12noon till 11pm which gives you 11 hours.

30 minutes x 15 bands per stage is only 7 and half hours, leaving 3 and a half hours for changeovers. Divide that by 14 (number of changeovers) gives you 15 minute per changeover. You don't need Clark Kent to achieve that.

The event is maybe running till midnight is it? Which would allow for longer set times for the headline acts.

People need to stop being so pessimistic when someone tries to actually go out and do something. Do you really think the Beach Ballroom would agree to this if they didn't think it was seriously going to work. Okay, they'll get their knock down fee paid regardless of how much of a success it is, but at the same time, they will have worked through it like Tunker says.

It's not just chucking a gig on at 100 capacity venue - there's obviously a lot of thought gone into this, and he's not going to say "30 bands" if in reality they can only get 10 bands, and he's not going to say "10,000" if in reality they're going to be breaking even.

Again, good luck with it :up:

Yeh at the moment we are looking at midnight, but we have been advised that we could extend the licence till 1am if need be!

I really don't mind people being sceptical about this. But Calum and I have sat down for hours and gone through most things with a fine tooth comb, we are trying not to look past any eventuality. And although people may look down on us for doing it, I am going to do my upmost to prove doubters wrong. And I say this with the upmost respect to those who do doubt.

And I'll stress again, I don't mind people questioning area's of our planning, and our financial claims etc for the event. But please don't have sarcastic pops at us for trying to do something that is not gonna give us any personal gain, apart from the fact that we will have achieved something we set out to do.

Tunker

Yeh at the moment we are looking at midnight, but we have been advised that we could extend the licence till 1am if need be!

I really don't mind people being sceptical about this. But Calum and I have sat down for hours and gone through most things with a fine tooth comb, we are trying not to look past any eventuality. And although people may look down on us for doing it, I am going to do my upmost to prove doubters wrong. And I say this with the upmost respect to those who do doubt.

And I'll stress again, I don't mind people questioning area's of our planning, and our financial claims etc for the event. But please don't have sarcastic pops at us for trying to do something that is gonna give us any personal gain, apart from the fact that we will have achieved something we set out to do.

Tunker

By the way, for anyone who might pick up on the fact that Tunker has sat down and discussed this with "Calum", and then I (Calum) have been defending him, I am not the "Calum" that he is organising the event with!!

I'm just sticking up for him, because I think it's a good idea!!!

Cheers,

Calum (a different Calum)

By the way, for anyone who might pick up on the fact that Tunker has sat down and discussed this with "Calum", and then I (Calum) have been defending him, I am not the "Calum" that he is organising the event with!!

I'm just sticking up for him, because I think it's a good idea!!!

Cheers,

Calum (a different Calum)

Oh yeh sorry, i never thought of that one. (Here's where the sarcastic doubters can say, "We thought you had thought of everything!" he he)

To avoid any confusion we can now call the event organizer Calum either, Chucks, Tons or fat boy!

Again no costs will be taken from ticket sales, all money from tickets will go direct to Clan. All costs incurred to run the event will be covered by organization's who have agreed to donate to the gig, in one way or another. But in saying that, we are really relying on people coming to the gig for this to be worthwhile

I couldn't applaud you more for securing that - just shows what's possible with a bit of imagination :)

One tip though - make sure that you promote the hell out of the fact that 100% of the ticket sales are going to the charity.

Ah, 2 stages, then it all makes sense.

Some words of advice:

You don't have any real "fuck-up time" in there (unless you get a 1 am) so you're going to need a complete bastard of a stage manager (I'd offer but I'm pretty sure I won't be available).

Most bands if you tell them they have a 30 minute set will give you a 30-35 minute set. You need to make it clear to all bands before they sign up that they will be expected to play 30 mins maximum, i.e. aim for 25 minutes and if you run over a little bit then no one gets stressed. Since Calum Underkills seems to like arithmetic he can tell you how much you'll overrun if you give these bands even 3 minutes extra each and believe me, once you lose time at one of these sort of things it's very difficult to claw it back without having to cut sets down.

I'd also advise you to have 2 backline crew per stage, one for the drums and one for amps. These guys will help the last band strip their gear and help the next one set up. You've got to remember that it's not just 15 mins to change over, it's 15 mins to changeover and line check. In a pig of a room. With tired engineers.

Far form having a pop at you, I was trying to get more info so I could maybe give you the benefit of my experience.I could have just said "How are you planning to fit 30 bands on one stage in 12 hours?" but where's the fun in that. You've known me long enough and shouldn't really expect any less (more?).

Ah, 2 stages, then it all makes sense.

Some words of advice:

You don't have any real "fuck-up time" in there (unless you get a 1 am) so you're going to need a complete bastard of a stage manager (I'd offer but I'm pretty sure I won't be available).

Most bands if you tell them they have a 30 minute set will give you a 30-35 minute set. You need to make it clear to all bands before they sign up that they will be expected to play 30 mins maximum, i.e. aim for 25 minutes and if you run over a little bit then no one gets stressed. Since Calum Underkills seems to like arithmetic he can tell you how much you'll overrun if you give these bands even 3 minutes extra each and believe me, once you lose time at one of these sort of things it's very difficult to claw it back without having to cut sets down.

I'd also advise you to have 2 backline crew per stage, one for the drums and one for amps. These guys will help the last band strip their gear and help the next one set up. You've got to remember that it's not just 15 mins to change over, it's 15 mins to changeover and line check. In a pig of a room. With tired engineers.

Far form having a pop at you, I was trying to get more info so I could maybe give you the benefit of my experience.I could have just said "How are you planning to fit 30 bands on one stage in 12 hours?" but where's the fun in that. You've known me long enough and shouldn't really expect any less (more?).

I totally agree with all of this.

But I plan on having more of a crew than is probably needed. I plan on doing the stage management myself (and yes, i am a bastard), we'll have 2 sound engineers, drum, guitar, bass techs and a general dogs body doing the general crap of the day. I have spent a lot of time travelling with some pretty decent bands roadieing and teching, so I know how stressful a stage can be at turn overs, especially with a limited stage space. In the second stage it will just be a vocal PA i guess, so turn overs shouldn't be a major headache. Obviously to save time, within the exception of the headline acts we would look to use the same backine as much as possible, so not everything will need line checked at every turn over.

We'll also have someone back stage, with 30 bands roaming around with passes etc, it is gonna be important that we keep things in order and running smoothly.

Yup, I do love a bit of arithmetic....

Stage managers are a must really. That was my only negative feedback point for the Wizard Festival this year, for the Banshee Stage anyway, everything was over-run to the point that we ended up contending with Supergrass for fans. We were supposed to be finished 30 minutes before they started.

It does sound like Tunker has thought of most things..... even to the point he's made sure he's a bastard ;)