aberdeen-music

Bran New Aberdeen HIPHOP Music Video

shyguyanddrs

This video was funded by their new Canadian HipHop label they are signed to & filmed in Manchester.

This video didnt quite turn out what we expected but hope you's enjoy!!

They filmed a 2nd video for their follow up single in a location in Sheffield which is set for release in Febuary which turned out alot better.

The single is available to download anywhere including Napster, AmazonMp3, I-Tunes, ShockHound, EMusic & Many more.

Shy & DRS - 'After The Sun'

This single is being used to promote their album which official release date is JANUARY 5th 2009 entitled 'Behind Closed Doors.'

Watch the video HERE -

YouTube - Shy & DRS - After The Sun

I know Aberdeen HipHop doesnt really go down well here, but would like to see your feedback

Thank you for your time,

Mark

MySpace.com - Shy & DRS (NEW TRACKS UPLOADED) - The Granite City, UK - Hip Hop / Rap - www.myspace.com/shyguydrs

i thought that was really good. the first few lines I was thinking 'uh oh' but the flow picks up and that is a tune and a half you've got there. The Scottish accent is subtle and completely genuine which is refreshing and the production value, except the fake sky, is of a high standard. I will definitely be passing the link on to all my friends who are into Hip Hop.

On another note, I don't think it is true to say that Hip Hop doesn't go down well on this site, it's more that there isn't much in Aberdeen that's good and gets posted. (Im talking bout MCs, not DJs, there are loads of good hip hop djs in abdn) If something is good it will get the credit it deserves I reckon. There are allways gonna be dismissive close-minded numpties but there are more than enough people who will give things a chance whatever the genre.

Positives:

Good video

Good backing track

Negatives:

Sorry, I know you homies are "keeping it real", but rap in an Aberdonian accent just sounds "wrong" to me

Lyrics - the first guy's singing about getting dumped or something and then the second guy sings about something completely different?

Still, a good effort fo' sho'.

Aye aye, cheers for the feedback guys :D!!

What the whole song is about is how life is a cycle, so after the sun comes the rain etc

We both separately wrote a verse/story about this concept & mine was about being on an absolute high when Im on stage "I'm nearly filling up" (crying, haha) then being on a complete low when I hear folk didn't like the show etc

My bro killed me on that song coz his verse in my opinion is genius :D

He started off on a low and began to realise one day he'd get over it if you get me ...

We try to make music that people can follow instead of what we used to do & rap from a personal point of view about ourselves & concepts that nobody else can relate to.

Our whole album 'Behind Closed Doors' is all stories over beats & punchlines & the production is of an extremely high standard, we had only Aberdeen producers work on this LP believe it or not.

You should download the 'One Night Stand' track weve got :L haha

& theres two other remixes of popular, 'commercial' songs we used for promotion on my YouTube page, so have a listen to all the videos on my page please :D

YouTube - Shy0017's Channel

Cheeeeers for your comment "ca_gere"

Yeah I agree, if something is good it will get the credit it deserves. Its just a few years back b4 we got a label behind us, we got zero positive feedback and/or constructive :(

I think its "wrong" to say that rapping in an Aberderdonian accent is wrong :L

We started rapping together in 1999 & began with the whole fake american accent thing & just simply copying American HipHop. Doing this is just exactly what it is - fake!!!

I think people just need to get used to it :D!

But cheers, really appreciate it guys

Please have a listen again &

Spread the word ;)

Mark

Good article.

I may be in the minority, but i am fully in favour of singing/rapping in your own accent. I know it has been a bit of a fad recently with the artic monkeys/glasvegas/kooks, etc, etc and the whole mockney thing does seem a bit worn but regardless of the music's merit, as a concept I think it's a good thing.

British people tend to take for granted what a great linguistic nation we have. Not many other countries (if any at all) has as strong and varied regional differences of dialect, accent, venacular, intonation, etc.

You can travel a few miles down the road and meet someone who uses a completely different vocabulary and accent, and this is true wherever you go in the country. You just need to think of the amount of specific accents there are or the number of ways there are of saying how drunk you are depending on where you come from for proof of how rich and varied our language can be. In my opinion this is something that should be incorporated into music.

... I know this is of little relevance to giving feedback to the Rap video but i just thought I'd bring it up. As an ex linguistics student, it's something I have a lot of interest in and part of the reason I like Hip Hop from different parts of the world.

Its nothing ground breaking to be honest. In my humble opinion.

But I like the fact your not pretending to be something your not like 99.9% of the rest of UK hip hop. Banging on about Guns, Bitches & Bling ("never part of the 4 elements and never will be" - S. Pip).

You keep it "real" (how cliched haha). Rhyme in your own accent and reference stuff you know about. Good move.

Apart from the odd one or two... most UK Hip Hop is pretty terrible & cringe worthy stuff - this is not.

Its great you guys are out doing this. As Aberdeen has a real lack of diversity in its music scene and sufferers from too many run of the mill indie/rock/Oasis wannabes. So good work chaps.

-

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
If you guys haven't already read this, please do so:

California schemin': Meet Gavin Bain, the rapping superstar from Scotland | Music | The Guardian

(That goes for everybody else too, fantastic article.)

That is a great article. :)

Out of interest, is there much of a hip hop scene in Aberdeen? In terms of hip hop bands and/or fans? I can't remember hearing of many hip hop acts coming to town?

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
Get in touch with me, I'd love to have you guys play at my electro, hip hop and funk night.

Colin

Ha. For a crazy second, I thought that post was aimed at me (i.e. answering my question above). I was like "Why would The Underkills get invited to an electro, hip hop and funk night?"

:dunce:

:up:

Ha. For a crazy second, I thought that post was aimed at me (i.e. answering my question above). I was like "Why would The Underkills get invited to an electro, hip hop and funk night?"

:dunce:

:up:

yeah, sorry was meaning the original poster. Also forgot to say well done guys, not many people producing videos to compliment their music... great! Perhaps if we get you along to the night we could do some sort of projector type thing on stage while you play.

Aye aye,

Yeah, RockAustin we would be interested in performing at your night.

That sounds good man.

My E-Mails markscott17@hotmail.co.uk so gimme a shout with the details and ideas youve got on there, Cheers

Our albums out January 5th so Gigging anytime around that would be ideal

Also, yeah to 'Exposure @ The Lemon Tree' -

About 2 years ago we tryed real hard to get a scene going & gigged a lot in Aberdeen and performed as a collective called the Granite Emcees.

The collective split up but us 2 kept on going and got lucky enough to get siged right b4 we were gonna quit.

We played a shit load of gigs & supported Big Big Sound @Drummonds (drum n bass band) which was excellent! That was the only gig we did which had a good turnout!!

So supporting is the way to go up here like!

There was no point performing in front of just 30 of your m8s u know what I mean!?

Also, our label only promotes in London & Canada because of the lack of the scene up here. Any advice on any promoters who would do hip hop? Or advice on promoting in general!? :D

not clued up @this forum carry on :D

Anyway cheers 4 the feedback guys!!

Please try & spread the word

Its much appreciated

Mark

MySpace.com - Shy & DRS (NEW TRACKS UPLOADED) - The Granite City, UK - Hip Hop / Rap - www.myspace.com/shyguydrs

Aye aye,

Yeah, RockAustin we would be interested in performing at your night.

That sounds good man.

My E-Mails markscott17@hotmail.co.uk so gimme a shout with the details and ideas youve got on there, Cheers

Our albums out January 5th so Gigging anytime around that would be ideal

Also, yeah to 'Exposure @ The Lemon Tree' -

About 2 years ago we tryed real hard to get a scene going & gigged a lot in Aberdeen and performed as a collective called the Granite Emcees.

The collective split up but us 2 kept on going and got lucky enough to get siged right b4 we were gonna quit.

We played a shit load of gigs & supported Big Big Sound @Drummonds (drum n bass band) which was excellent! That was the only gig we did which had a good turnout!!

So supporting is the way to go up here like!

There was no point performing in front of just 30 of your m8s u know what I mean!?

Also, our label only promotes in London & Canada because of the lack of the scene up here. Any advice on any promoters who would do hip hop? Or advice on promoting in general!? :D

not clued up @this forum carry on :D

Anyway cheers 4 the feedback guys!!

Please try & spread the word

Its much appreciated

Mark

Emailed you.

Excellent, emailed you back man, looking forward to the gig would be good to do something different.

I'm actually shocked with the feedback weve been getting on this site & from everyone.

Cheers.

Does any else know of anything else I can do promotion wise in Aberdeen?!

Or anyone who could help me promote up here?

Thanks,

Mark

Dunno... Maybe try e-mailing venues... I'm sure there's someone registered on this site from Snafu.

the user named wax is a snafu representative. rusty deathnail is the soundman and can also put you in touch with snafu people i'm sure. bri fudge runs a night on mondays which is mainly rock but knowing fudge they'd stick you on(probably with a grindcore band just to see what happens). steven milne runs thursdays in snafu.

so that's 4 snafu related people registered on here :)