aberdeen-music

Propaganda?

JaseyBoi

Can i ask is there a single person on this website who is currently being effected by this credit crunch......I work fulltime,I have my own proprty and i have my own vehicle.....This so called credit crunch has not effected me one single bit...So i decided to ask everyone at my work lol...33 people all in and not 1 of them has been effected by the credit crunch....Every single one of them moaned about petrol prices but i laugh at these people as CMON ffs its not that expensive.....

Has anyone on here been effected by said credit crunch or are we all being led astray as our banks are fubar?.......

I watch te news and the like and all i ever hear is that we are doomed lol yet ive seen nothing of this in my own real life........

Thanks for the informative opinion :p;) . . .

Your telling me just what the news is telling me,Yet ive seen nothing but reports....How comes scotland alone spent a reported 10million on credit cards this month so far alone....Its also been all over the news that this years chrsitmas shopping spend is well over last years...The evening express i think it was even went on to say this is aberdeens best spending spree in 'X' ammount of years....

I cant remeber how many years****

I got refused an extension to my overdraft facilty having previously been offered five times what it currently is. But not really otherwise.

It is propaganda in that they're presenting the credit crunch simplified as the actual root cause of our economic woes, not just a symptom, and scapegoating a bunch of rich bastards and slackers for borrowing/lending/scamming to the point where the whole credit rating system is completely fucked. Then they suggest your government must do something about it and polls show you're actually buying that load of horseshit.

So yeah, basically.

Not currently owning property, recently married and wanting to set up home somewhere but can't because we need a stupid amount of deposit to get started. Saving's hard - my ISA's interest rate has dropped to 3%, all the money seems to get used up by the end of the month, and although I have no debt other than my car loan (no balances on cards etc.) it seems like being careful and sensible just isn't enough. I'm getting tired of being sensible for little return.

Guest idol_wild
Jasey, isn't the fact you don't have a mortgage the foremost indicator of your 'not-feeling-it'; a mortgage being the substantial loan average people take out and therefore the most consequential market?

Regarding christmas spending - sales tax has been lowered for that very reason.

Kimy, I have genuinely missed you.

Come post more.

Yup, I'm a wannabe first time buyer, but I'm joining everyone else and playing the waiting game now. I think property prices still have a long way to fall.

In the mean time though I've lost a considerable amount in my share portfolio (although it is starting to slowly recover now), my savings are now pretty pointless with interest rates as they are and so I've trying to take my ISAs and things and move them into something more lucrative. Offshore savings accounts is my current thinking with the pound slowly becoming worthless. I'm really starting to resent savers like me with no debt being hit like this because of the stupidity of people and banks in consuming all this credit. Grrr.

Speaking of the pound, as this web site is hosted in the US then my web hosting bill has increased to the tune of around 75 a month due to the pound falling so much against the dollar.

I haven't been affected by the credit crunch, but then I don't rely much on credit for anything. However I have been affected by the horror show that is the ever decreasing value of the pound against the euro. I'm doing a TEFL course in Barcelona in January for which the fees were to be paid in euros. The cost to me had increased quite a bit from the time I booked the course and worked out how much I needed to save etc to when I actually paid the fees. At least I paid it when I did as to get by for the month I'm there wont go nearly as far it would have previously.

On a side note, I really wish people would stop using the term 'Credit Crunch' while referring to any problems with the economy. The media and politicians have moved on now though as it's all about "The Downturn". It's almost funny to see what lengths some will go to to avoid using the word recession!

I had to take severe steps to get my debts/outgoings under control a few years ago so by now, I've dealt with most of them & am looking at the last downhill slope to pay-off the mortgage I converted to a (much) shorter term bank loan. Thought I was mad to do that when I started - it was very hard to begin with & I really paid through the nose for the first few years but it was the only way I could manage to take-on my ex's share - That decision is paying dividends now! :)

I know a few folk who have run into problems but apart from the likes of the poster above who is saving, solvent & still struggling to get set-up, most are finding their problems due no longer being able to extend their credit & perpetuate a highly debt-driven lifestyle. In which case, I have to say hell-mend-em, to most of them - you can hardly say we didn't see this one coming IMO.

I also feel that a lot of the folk screaming loudest are the ones who have become used to outright profligacy as the norm & who are now rather miffed at the end of what has been a rather long & well sustained gravy train. So for them, maybe it is about time?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

i mortgaged an additional 15 grand at the end of october. rate is slightly higher than my existing mortgage.

petrol prices are going way down...86.9p? what the hell is anyone moaning about? they were up at 115p a litre within the last 3 months or so. Normally I hate people who moan about petrol prices, as the increase of 2p or whatever normally only equates to about 3 quid extra on a full tank. But saving nearly 30p on a litre...even on my lightweight 45l tank is 12 less every time.

aberdeen's house prices were rising gradually throughout 2008 while the rest of the country took a hit, but we've finally caught up and prices in the 3rd quarter were down 8% (source: http://www.aspc.co.uk/Documents/HousePrices-2008Q3.pdf)

this is probably how i'm going to be hit hardest, as i've been unable to sell my flat sooner because of pending refurbishment which is currently underway. I'm hoping that with rot fixed, a new roof & gutters, new doors & windows and the communal areas being fixed up and redecorated, i'll have improved my chances of getting a decent price (or at least selling it whatsoever :))I try to look on the positive side however, that it would still be virtually impossible not to make about 150% profit on what I paid for it, and that whatever i end up buying is going to be cheaper too than it was a year ago.

I can't say I have been effected on the negative side of things, Have my own mortgage (to which i could afford) which was fixed term...up in Jan just in time to probably get one of the lowest rates to do me on another fixed term for a while, so looking like my payments will be dropping. My credit card bill is not much and I have savings...so cant say i am feeling it

It hasn't affected me worth a fuck, but then I don't have a mortgage, I don't have any savings, I don't have any debts (except a credit card) and I own fuck all. I come home with the same amount of money every month and the stuff I buy costs the same as it always did.

Pretty much the same for me, but cost of energy has affected me, I'm about 20-30 per week at the moment to keep my flat remotely warm (old building). Comics are going up in price too...

My mate (many of you will know him - Oggy) got made redundant though...

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Hasn't affected me hellish much, the mortgage has been steadily coming down these past few years due to the interest rate which is apples with me. Mind you, that's been cancelled out by my fuel bill going up. I've never had a credit card in my life, I'm one of those strange people who do without something if they can't afford it and I've no sympathy for anyone who gets themselves into shit with credit/store cards. Buy now, and you'll pay later alright...

The pound's rate against the Euro is a bit of a worry, though. Means I'll have to spend a bit extra on my giant noise orders but I need my noise.

Other than that, crisis? What crisis?

:up:

Kimy how would you know if i owned my own property or not ;) . . . . .

And i have now had my answers from else where lol.......British people are so ignorant to the worlds real poverty issues that if anything is raised in price we all freak out and act like spoilt brats......(pinch of salt mode)

My opinion on Mr G brown is changing by the day aswell...I was having a very one sided intelectual talk with a guy at work who studied politcs and shit in uni and some of the stuff he was saying was mental....I only remeber like 23% of what he was actually talking about and probably understood less than 13% lol.....Our population has been force fed how awsome gordon brown was at his job way before he barged in as PM....Now hes bloody PM our pound crumbles?......

I also accidently lied to you as i sposse i have KINDA been effected by said credit crunch as my company shares dropped $4k but tbh im in the shares for the long haul and know for a fact unless the world dies my shares will be perfectly fine...

As for people who moan about brief crap intersest rates on savings i say this....I have saving and my interest rate has dropped but to be honest with everything thats going who gives a fuck.....My savings are safe.....My money is safe......Big up if at randlom the interest rate goes down slightly........My bank phoned me other day and asked if i wanted my overdraft raised so again no worrys there.......

First time buyers and morgage seekers? ok you cant get a 100% morgage but the way i was raised is if you cant afford it you cant have it.........In this day in age if you want a house and you need the 1st 10grand how hard is it actually to raise...Not very is it....In no way am i saying that 10G isnt a lot of money but in this day in age its not unreachable....Britain is a country of spenders and maybe this little blip in our economy will make more people appreciate the value of savings......

Stick in at school kids.....I didnt like but i work like a mule and love earning money ;)

(Plz plz this once can we stick on topic and not start a 3 post Jaseyboi cant spell rant) :D

It's kinda working out OK for me at the moment, the halt on crazy house prices allowed me to buy a new house that is exactly what we wanted for an agreeable price.

I have a One Account so all my cash will be getting lumped in there at a reduced mortgage interest rate so lower savings account rates become null and void to me.

I binned all my credit cards a few years ago because I was just buying too much shite on ebay with them.

I can imagine it is a nightmare for the folk who bought houses at crazy prices and are facing re-mortgaging at shit rates while also having shit loads of credit card debt but it is hard to be sympathetic towards folk who got into huge debt just to buy material possessions to 'keep up with the Jones''.

And i have now had my answers from else where lol.......British people are so ignorant to the worlds real poverty issues that if anything is raised in price we all freak out and act like spoilt brats......(pinch of salt mode)

Holy generalisation, Batman!

First time buyers and morgage seekers? ok you cant get a 100% morgage but the way i was raised is if you cant afford it you cant have it.........In this day in age if you want a house and you need the 1st 10grand how hard is it actually to raise...Not very is it....In no way am i saying that 10G isnt a lot of money but in this day in age its not unreachable....Britain is a country of spenders and maybe this little blip in our economy will make more people appreciate the value of savings......

What a load of sanctimonious, condescending crap. Not hard to raise 10k, oh wait, I've just found 10k in my back pocket. You're in cloud cuckoo land. I take great exception to your generalisations, your complete lack of regard for people's circumstances and your holier-than-thou preaching.

Our population has been force fed how awsome gordon brown was at his job way before he barged in as PM....Now hes bloody PM our pound crumbles?......

I really hope you are joking with that comment.

You can't seriously think that GB coming into power has caused the recession? This has been building up for a long time, mainly due to the greedy idealism of capitalism. It's bound to happen eventually, but I lay blame to the Americans mostly. Bastards.

I'd love to own my own house instead of wasting money paying rent, but achieving that 10,000 is not going to happen for a long time yet as, well, I have to live and pay my bills. I'd rather do all that without any further debt than my student loan... which looks horrid on paper!

I think you need to perhaps take your head out the sand... It might not seem like the recession is affecting you but it will whether it's the price of bread or how many euros you'll get to take on your holidays!