aberdeen-music

Woolies goes tits up

Lemonade

Guest treader.

Amazing. Britain are fucking brilliant really. They've just recently dusted off that "biggest mall in britain" or whatever dahn saaf and we're getting Union Square...and there are only gonna be the HUGE unaffected companies that already exist in Aberdeen in there.

Starbucks anybody!?

Yup. :(

Interesting - I see Hogshead's parent company was restructured last year:

R20, Mr Tchenguiz's investment vehicle, acquired Laurel in November 2004 for 151 million, then in May 2005 purchased Yates Group for 202 million. A month later he added 98 SFI Group pubs for an estimated 80 million and in April last year he spent 123 million on La Tasca, the tapas bar operator.

The resultant business, which has a turnover of about 350 million, has been split into two divisions - casual dining and pubs and bars - each with about 230 outlets. The loss-making outlets include more than 40 branded as Yates's, about 10 Hog's Heads, 10 Litten Tree units and an assortment of other brands such as Bar Med, Casa and Mojama. By contrast, the casual dining division, in common with some of its restaurant peers, continues to deliver strong trading and, until the credit crunch, had been earmarked by Mr Tchenguiz as a candidate for a flotation some time this year.

Laurel Pub Company to call in administrators - Times Online

McLeish goes tits-up now:

Scores of jobs face axe as cash crisis hits deli chain - Press & Journal

So it looks like the Union St store is closing but Schoolhill remains open FTM.

Pity, I'd become quite fond of their baked gammon & the chicken pakora was a nice treat occasionally. Much of their other stock was very overpriced tho. :(

Bit harsh that the only reason they're closing is because HBOS withdrew their loan offer. If they hadn't expanded so much based on that loan then they'd be able to keep trading.

Liked the shop but it could've been a lot better than it was. A lot of the stuff it was selling was just mainstream brands (Thorntons!) you can get elsewhere. Had some good whisky deals though.

Liked the shop but it could've been a lot better than it was. A lot of the stuff it was selling was just mainstream brands (Thorntons!) you can get elsewhere. Had some good whisky deals though.

I agree there - However it had a few other good points. The staff at both stores were also exceptionally attentive & helpful to my mother whenever she went in, which was a breath of fresh air when so many other shops barely tolerate elderly customers.

I agree there - However it had a few other good points. The staff at both stores were also exceptionally attentive & helpful to my mother whenever she went in, which was a breath of fresh air when so many other shops barely tolerate elderly customers.

Got to feel sorry for the staff in the Schoolhill shop, I think some of them were offered jobs there when Toymaster shut. Specially the woman with the long face and immoveable hair, that worked for the Toy bazaar for thirty years or whatever. She served me in Mcleish's just before Christmas - it took me a while to remember where I'd seen her before, until I realised it was standing in exactly the same spot, but in a totally different shop. Not been a good year for her...

Got to feel sorry for the staff in the Schoolhill shop, I think some of them were offered jobs there when Toymaster shut. Specially the woman with the long face and immoveable hair, that worked for the Toy bazaar for thirty years or whatever. She served me in Mcleish's just before Christmas - it took me a while to remember where I'd seen her before, until I realised it was standing in exactly the same spot, but in a totally different shop. Not been a good year for her...

The Schoolhill shop's staying open, it's the Union Street one that's closing.