aberdeen-music

Woolies goes tits up

Lemonade

I wonder how the Hat Shop on Mount Street is being affected by the financial downturn.

The owner trilby worried, no doubt. Things have beanie bad in the hat market for some time now. There are loads of cowboys around. Although I normally like to give my business to smaller traders, I have to con-fez that I've bought my last few hats at Tesco.

I spoke to the owner and he told me that last year he made a good bon-net profit, but I suspect he told me a porkpie.

So all in all, not beret good.

• Upvote 1

Yup. Mind you, its developer's skill at getting councils to pick-up its debts in other places (eg Leeds, Huddersfield) probably mean they will be OK.

I can see this one being subsumed into our uber-mall sooner rather than later.

I was laso looking at he hoardings for the new fashion extension yesterday - Think five of the six firms spearheading the renovation are now doddering badly.

Union Square is still under construction & growing like topsy.

I have heard disquiet from the inside the council about just how few units are actually going to be let when it opens.

Adams here was not on the list of 111 shops closing first, so I presume it is still trading.

Noticed the CLC (Christian Literature Crusade) shop has shut or merged with another outlet too.

Hawkins Bazaar is gone too! (Although I'm more concerned about Toy Bazaar, sniff.)

Really?

It was there just before christmas. I'd imagine the festive period is that places biggest time of year.

Shame if true, that place had some great toys (and a lot of crap).

Disney Store is closing down as well.

What?!

All the centres are going to look pretty empty. I guess it'll hit the Glasgow high street soon enough.

There's a list of the Zavvi stores that are closing down on the BBC website. So far the Union St shop is not on that list and neither are the Glasgow stores - both of which are huge, but there is a up to 50% off sale due to start (BBC NEWS | Business | Zavvi announces 22 store closures).

Seen various toy/gadget shops take-on short lets for just the festive season here before.

Maybe this was another one?

Nah this is a bigger chain I thought. Also it had been in the Bon Accord centre for a good while before Christmas, my leaving present from my old work came from it at the start of October.

Maybe it's just being refurbished or they're moving those shops around cause of the massive extension the centre's building out the back there.