aberdeen-music

Woolies goes tits up

Lemonade

A massive next, odeon and a nandos apparently.

Cheers! Hmmm, but these seem to be things we will need less of in future, unfortunately. I was also under the impression that there's a big Next going up where the old Union dance club used to be.

It's mad. I know Aberdeen is wealthy and all but how are the chains going to survive? Half of Union Street could be in danger of being boarded up.

I was also under the impression that there's a big Next going up where the old Union dance club used to be.

There is, but as that's going to be in the Bon Accord Centre I imagine the one in St Nicholas will close.

Maybe even the one in Berryden will close, can't see Aberdeen needing 3 massive Nexts.

Apparently Currys have just opened a new store where PC World used to be, fuck knows how they can afford that when DSG are losing shitloads of money apparently.

JJB are apparently walking a tight rope just now. The reason for their massive sale is that they can't afford to insure their stock.

Fingers crossed that at least one of the "bargain" electronics retailers goes belly up. Curry's in particular sail very close to the wind profit/loss wise and i know they aren't handling the economic downturn particularly well.

Fingers crossed we survive the storm as well of course.

'Death to the corporate chains and all hail the rise of the independent and local businesses':up:

Well, sort of. Don't want to see anyone out of a job and unemployment going up. Interestingly, at the Cultural Enterprise Office we have seen a rise in the amount of people looking to step out on their own (seek advice) and work for themselves due to all this instability. 'Nothing to lose by trying' mentality is having positive effects on the cultural sector. Weird huh:up:

J

I thought somebody had bought Currys from DSG hence how they could afford the move. Currys was making more money within DSG than PC World was anyway.

Nope, Curry's is totally buckling. They, and PC World are really struggling. The new shop is going to be their only one in Aberdeen pretty soon...

Guest treader.
even little business's are struggling, me and another guy got laid off waitoring because the hotel had already lost business and they just didn't need the staff.

maybe you were just a shit waiter?!

Next had to chuck out all their christmas temp staff a week early cos they couldnt afford to pay them any more! In Edinburgh anyway. I hear its PC world and curry's next on the list. not surprised. No one can afford to buy new TV's right now anyway and if they are going to, more and more people are realising they can get it cheaper off the internet...

x

There is, but as that's going to be in the Bon Accord Centre I imagine the one in St Nicholas will close.

Maybe even the one in Berryden will close, can't see Aberdeen needing 3 massive Nexts.

Apparently Currys have just opened a new store where PC World used to be, fuck knows how they can afford that when DSG are losing shitloads of money apparently.

s

Currys have recently shut their Kittybrewster store, so maybe that's how they can afford the new one,

As long as you can walk into Asda, Tesco etc etc and buy ANYTHING that you need... then this will continue to happen. Why trail around shop after shop when you can get a good deal on a TV or whatever from a supermarket?! There's nothing anyone can do about it except hope that sometime it picks up!

A work colleague was in Spain recently and she said it was 25 euros for breakfast, but that was basically 25 or more as the exchange rate was far worse than she had expected! 25 for breakfast for 3 is horrendous considering that used to be like 15ish.

25 euros for a breakfast sounds a bit bizarre if you ask me. I'd expect to pay about 10 euros in a little caf. Get your ass off the beaten trail and you'll pay what the locals pay. I cant say that it worries me too much.

It was 25 euroes for 3 people, so about 8 euros each. Which, depending on the breakfast isn't too bad.

The UKs had it good with holidays abroad and the exchange rates working in their favour that everyone's getting disgusted at having to pay normal prices now. We don't have any particular right to super cheap booze and food when we go abroad.

I imagine even with exchange rate parity most goods are still slightly less expensive or much the same as here. Hardly the end of the world.