aberdeen-music

Toxic distortion - Aberdeens most know HAIR METAL band

SiXXX

My mistake. So it's like a service masquerading as a label? Is it like one of those great management companies that only charges 600 quid to put together a really great press pack and burn some professionally mastered CDs then shop it around all of the big dogs of the music biz? You might think that it's an extortionate fee but consider the financial benefits you'll reap once you make it big sort of thing?

Hmmm... well it's similar I guess. But it's more a case of you pay the money, you get your album in the shops. Rather than due to any belief in the band. It's win win for Casket, because they don't really fund anything, but would only recoup money if any is made. Rising records are kinda similar as well - they have a bunch of small bands that pay a tonne of cash which ultimately funds a couple of bands that the label is actually interested in.

This is what I have greatly been led to believe anyway.

The songs on the page aren't completely horrific, fit for demo purposes at least. They sound more like Rock and Roll Star by oasis than Sabbath and G'N'R though...

This band are fuck-awful. I saw their myspace a while ago, and it seems that they care more about getting photoshoots than shows. I've never seen them on a poster for anything, ever, so I'm not sure where this 'Aberdeen's most know' talk is from.

Side-note: Why do people excuse bands being shit because they're young? If they're actively playing gigs and trying to make waves in a 'scene', why judge them by lower standards?

They sound like a poor man's Faster Pussycat.

Who were great at the Barrowlands in '89 it must be said, but that is an indictment, the great thing about the 1st album is that I heard it and thought, 'I can play as well, if not better than that'* which is pretty inspiring when you are 18, if not the basis for a career.

*except for the solo on Babylon which they got someone in for.

I heard of this band ages and ages ago.

I always mind hearing the story that they were asked to go on a Student Radio show and their parents went nuts at the guy who asked them to do it.

Overall

I still think their image messes everything up on this and the vocals are just pants.

IMO!

What a fucking idiotic thing to say. Apart from the fact that it means fuck all because it isn't a coherent sentence, the closest similar statement that I can think of in the English language implies that of all of the bands in Aberdeen's thriving 'HAIR METAL' scene, they are the best known. The only other one I can think of is Estrella, and they certainly have more presence (mostly through piss taking threads on this forum, of course). Casket Records has no presence on the internet, and discogs doesn't recognise it as a label. Have a look at their upcoming tour dates:

2 Aug 2009 20:00

*USA SHOWS 09* New York

3 Aug 2009 20:00

Venue TBC New York, New York

4 Aug 2009 20:00

Venue TBC New York, New York

6 Aug 2009 20:00

Venue TBC Los Angeles, California

7 Aug 2009 20:00

8 Aug 2009 20:00

9 Aug 2009 20:00

10 Aug 2009 20:00

This is a load of bullshit made up by rich, spotty tosser teenagers. This 'tour' looks like a posh family holiday to America that has been sabotaged by little RIKKI ROTTEN or whatever who refused to come unless daddy let the whole band come too (only if he promises to tidy his room though). What label would pay for a 3 night and 5 night tour respectively of two American cities, when not only has nobody ever heard of them in the UK, nobody outside of Cults academy has heard of them in Aberdeen either, in contrast to their bold claim to be the 'most know'.

Even more importantly, why would anyone try to market this abominable shit? Labels have to make money you know, and nobody with anything remotely resembling a good head for business would spend a penny on these brats. Guns N Roses themselves are a painful joke these days (not that I ever liked them to begin with) so who do these chubby imposters think they're kidding?

Just re-read this post. Fucking hilarious - largely due to it's accuracy.

as someone already said...they are only 15/16.

everybody used to say and do stupid things in bands when they were 15/16, its just that now with myspace et al and we hear about it more.

not really worth the bother

a lot of people still say and do stupid things in bands now that they are 25/26...

The person who should be getting the ear bashing is whatever members dad is the manager in my honest opinion. Having spoke to him briefly I could sense his unreal expectations of his son and its him that is paying for them to get to photoshoots in London, for frankly embarrassing appearences on radioSPORT and is no doubt the one touting them round the U.S.

Reminds me of the kind of dad who lives out his failed dream through his son and places unrealistic expectation on their kids at primary school football turning them into nervous wrecks.

The person who should be getting the ear bashing is whatever members dad is the manager in my honest opinion. Having spoke to him briefly I could sense his unreal expectations of his son and its him that is paying for them to get to photoshoots in London, for frankly embarrassing appearences on radioSPORT and is no doubt the one touting them round the U.S.

Reminds me of the kind of dad who lives out his failed dream through his son and places unrealistic expectation on their kids at primary school football turning them into nervous wrecks.

Penny Anderson: 'Dad! Stop trying to crowd-surf!' | Music | guardian.co.uk

the closest similar statement that I can think of in the English language implies that of all of the bands in Aberdeen's thriving 'HAIR METAL' scene, they are the best known. The only other one I can think of is Estrella, and they certainly have more presence (mostly through piss taking threads on this forum, of course).

We played with an alright hair / glam metal band in Drummonds recently.... can't remember for the fuck of me what they were called though...... it was desperately cheesy (three members spitting cider in the air in-sync with a big snare shot before the inevitable cock-rock key change), but they could play. Fuck, what the fuck were they called!?!? ?(

We played with an alright hair / glam metal band in Drummonds recently.... can't remember for the fuck of me what they were called though...... it was desperately cheesy (three members spitting cider in the air in-sync with a big snare shot before the inevitable cock-rock key change), but they could play. Fuck, what the fuck were they called!?!? ?(

Ah yes, Rise. here they are:

Rise <RISE-ABERDEEN>

I have heard of this band before and seen them live at Drummond before, to be fair....they do put on a great show for a bunch of kids at the age of 15/16. i have seen and heard alot worse in Aberdeen. i feel kind of sorry for the guys that they have seen this aswell, all they are trying to do is get out there like everyone else and make something of themselves, but because of the way they look they get held back by people(some of you which are on here). Alot of bands havn't came out of Aberdeen but in the space of a year this guys seem to have done quite alot for themselves, so in a few years i can actually see them being something worth looking into. some of this has been taken too far and theres no need for it.

im not saying they are the best but, they deserve some credit for what they are doing, the fact they have almost 6 pages of comments on here is pretty remarkable i don't think ive seen a more active forum on here before. well done Toxic Distortion!

im not saying they are the best but, they deserve some credit for what they are doing, the fact they have almost 6 pages of comments on here is pretty remarkable i don't think ive seen a more active forum on here before. well done Toxic Distortion!

Yes congratulations on having everyone think you are shite o_O

I guess I just can't handle those crazy kidz

Yes congratulations on having everyone think you are shite o_O

I guess I just can't handle those crazy kidz

well that makes sense, but having just checked out your band the marionettes, you don't look or sound much better than Toxic Distortion. You guys just seem to be another Aberdeen indie band that spend there days playing rubbish nights at the tunnels. sorry to tell you that but i really believe if bands want to make it, they need to kick up a big fuss. and this band seem to be doing it pretty damn well for a bunch of kids. I think everyone loves to hate them its brilliant:popcorn:

well i wasnt slagging off your band or anything, im just saying its slightly typical of an Aberdeen band, theres no need to post something like that which is clearly taking a dig at me because im sticking up for Toxic Distortion. the fact is i don't even like them as a band, i just find it rather amusing how they can kick up such a big fuss and make everyone speak about them, therefore i respect them for doing such a good job of it. what they said in that bulletin on myspace was nothing but the truth, most of you on here say you hate them and dont care but yet you keep coming back and coming back for more and more. you could make a movie out of this band its that hilarious.