aberdeen-music

Bus strikes called off

framheim

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About a month ago I also witnessed something quite amazing. I got on the 21 (which was running 15 minutes late) and the bus driver pulled over and stopped for 10 minutes to wait for it have a ciggie on the bus!

Seen that so often.

When I worked for RGU I used to have to get the number 9 between campuses a lot. Should've taken 10 minutes but never did, usually because when it got to Schoolhill the driver would usually get out for a smoke, then it would stop at Broad Street for another 5 minute break and a read of the paper.

I complained in writing to First after the driver of the 18 apparently ignored the timetable and would only go as far as Broad Street when the timetable said it should have gone all the way and was the last bus to do so. Broad Street wasn't much good for me as I was going to a friend's house near the Haudagan, so it was taxi to another friend's to get a lift out the road. Their eventual explanation was that traffic had backed the timetable up by half an hour, if the driver had just said that at the time instead of grunting that he was only going to fucking Broad Street I'd have saved myself a 5 quid taxi fare.

They also have a nice trick (the 18 or 19 usually) where if one bus is already at the stop they won't stop behind it. Particuarly useful when the bus that's at the fucking stop isn't going where you need to go but the one that drives straight past, that should also stop, is. That one almost prompted another written complaint but the driver of the bus that had actually stopped let me on for free as close as he could get me then told where I needed to walk from the stop.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I actually had a really nice driver a few months back. I was coming back from BoD into town and asked how far a 1.50 fare would get me. He let me ride all the way home on it insisting that "First could afford it".

Ace driver indeed!

Think I know who you mean. There is at least one driver who is always ridiculously cheerful and I wish more were like him. Chubby guy, always got a big smile. Don't know his name but I decided a while ago he looked like an "Eddie".

:up:

Its so nice to get onto a bus and have a pleasant and courteous driver. Doesn't happen that often though. I have complained a number of times about the simple things like the driver forgetting there is a back end to a bendy bus and driving me to the next stop. Where I get a look of contempt for raising awareness of his stupidity. Also had a driver all but get out of his seat and square up to me because I shouted at him for his shit breaking almost causing my son to land flat on his face. He asked angrily if had 'a problem with his driving'. I responded in an appropriate manner for a busy bus full of terrified old folk and kids!

Majority of them are fuckwits that see the user as an interfering pest! Fuck em all and their problems! I walk as much as I can thus staying happy and fit and saving cash!

I was amazed when I first took the bus here that everyone has to move to the door before the bus even stops. I always feel sorry for the old folk that have to struggle through the (driving bus to get from and to their seat. Is it so much to ask to just wait for them? Or anyone else for that matter.

Oh I forgot I'm moving away from here. :up:

I wish I earned the pennies they do for sitting on their posteriors and driving for 9 hours a day.

Must be pretty sweet.

Thats why they are all 40 stone (Not literally of course). The next 100mtr hurdle champion for team GB certainly won't be a bus driver!

And I'm not surprised they are pissed off they are making buttons, but they chose the job knowing the money was shite!

I try to walk whenever I can. I get a chartered bus to work and only get a bus home on a Friday (because the chartered bus doesn't come until 5pm and I finish before that) or if I have to go to the BoD office.

I used to get a 16 from outside Berryden then the number 1 to Garthdee to go to an old job a few years back. That was the worst. Every morning I'd get the 16 without too much issue - sometimes it was only 15 minutes late! - before I'd be stranded on Union Street from anywhere between 10 minutes to 45 minutes. It was averaging out that it took me an hour and a half to get to work (sometimes longer). It took 10 minutes by car and I actually walked it one day and it took the same time as the bus!

And they wonder why Aberdonian's don't want to part with their cars... what other option do they have?

They could buy my scooter, check it out on the trading posts, it's a bargain! And seriously, this was no attempt at a plug! he he :finger:

Hear, hear!

Bus Driver = Fat, Thick, Ignorant Cunt,

There's was one wankstain who'd either park his bus in the slip road out of Laird's Park in Fintray or if he was worried about getting rumbled, he'd park it next to the recycling bins (ensuring that noone could using them)

I confronted him a few weeks ago...

"Hey cuntybaws, get that heap of shite tae fuck, yer causing an obstruction and don't even think about fuckin parking it next to the fuckin bins or I'll pull yer fuckin lard arse out of that cab and bitch-slap yer fat moobs to they bleed. Ya Cunt"

You should have heard the mouthful I got back. The language.

You've got to love the Laird's Park community spirit.....happy memories.

I was amazed when I first took the bus here that everyone has to move to the door before the bus even stops. I always feel sorry for the old folk that have to struggle through the (driving bus to get from and to their seat. Is it so much to ask to just wait for them? Or anyone else for that matter.

Oh I forgot I'm moving away from here. :up:

We are all coming with you John!

There is the numpty public to contend with. The ones that walk past an almost open back door to get off at the front door. Granted it used to be a lottery if the back door would even open at the stop but mostly they have corrected that yet still there are fatties that rudely squeeze through a crowded bus to get to the front rather than use the 'exit'. Fuckwits on both sides of the drivers door!

5 pages and no-one has mentioned one of the worst things about bus journeys...

The feral kids playing awful trance on their phones :swearing:

...the only time i've ever used my 'teacher voice' outside of work was to get them to STFU :up:

You have a teachers voice?! I just cant imagine you in wrath mode somehow. Worth seeing that! :up:

The number of times I have seen buses practically running the red light at the top of Market Street and almost wiping out a pedestrian who has started crossing is unbelievable. One guy almost took me out by the bus station one morning, i'd been crossing well in advance and he actually kept accelerating, swung the bus to the side I was on to cut his journey by about a metre to turn right and missed my back by about a foot. Some choice gestures were exchanged....I think bus drivers have actually overtaken taxi drivers for my most hated road user.

Guest idol_wild
Thats why they are all 40 stone (Not literally of course). The next 100mtr hurdle champion for team GB certainly won't be a bus driver!

And I'm not surprised they are pissed off they are making buttons, but they chose the job knowing the money was shite!

They don't earn buttons though. Not in relative terms. They earn fucking more than I do.

christ i could post a book about my problems with buses round here.

almost been knocked down a number of times crossing at king street/east north street or they decide to park right across the crossing blocking all traffic and people until the lights change at the castlegate.

waiting forever at culter for just anything to turn up from either bluebird or first. timetable means nothing out here.

my biggest gripe just now is the 5.45 202 bluebird service from banchory to aberdeen which always turns up at 6.15 instead without ever apologising or giving any explanation. last time i questioned where the bus was(on the 6.15 201 service which quite frequently turns up before the 202) i didn't even get a response.

my wife has had buses drive right past her in town when she's trying to get home from work sometimes. she once had to wait an hour for the culter bus to turn up as well.

i work out at overton at the back of dyce and don't drive and the only bus which gets me close (bout a mile from work) is the number 27, which is very infrequent, almost up to more than an hour between each bus, its always a bendy bus or a double decker and i seldom get a seat as i get on at logie, there are heaps of companies/employers in the kirkhill industrial estate and the bus is always mobbed. I start at 9am but because of the infrequent service i have to catch the bus at 7:39am which means im at work mega early and won't get paid for starting earlier... the bus at 8:40am gets me to work too late. sigh...

the bus has been late heaps of times almost as much as 50mins luckily i was never late, but it quite amusing watching 20+ people phone their work saying they are late

luckily i get a lift to work now

another thing that annoys me with the busses

the colour cor-ordinated "lines" e.g yellow line 23, so you can easily tell which bus it is without having to look the service number at the front

brilliant idea if they actually use them for the bus lines they are coloured to

I jumped one that was coloured but was being used as another line, got off the bus in B.O.D after arguing with the driver about it

he wasnt local so he didnt have an answer/explanation/apology when i confronted im about it.

The number 21 is pretty abysmal too. Last Friday, myself and what ended up being around 40 people stood at a bus stop in Altens for 50 minutes. 3 buses were suppose to have come. I ended up being crammed onto a number 3 just to get roughly back into town. Piss poor.

Last Friday, I missed the first 21 to Cove because it came 10 minutes early, went outside and stood around for 20 minutes when the 21 to Altens came, decided I'd jump on it and get off at Wellington Road because that was what it did the other week, no it went straight into Altens and I almost had a hairy fit at the driver, telling him to let me know the nearest stop to the Thistle was. I got off and as I was walking down the road a 3 and a 21 went past and when I was walking down towards the bus stop not long after another 21 came. Totally shocking!

On Monday, the 21 didn't run from 3 onwards, I was almost late for work because of it. Got fed up waiting and asked the driver of a 17 if the 21 was running, he just said "I've not seen any so I don't know". At that a granny came off the bus and told me she'd been waiting for 2 hours uptown for a 21. I went inside and by luck by brother gave me a lift out to work because my work have the attitude that it isn't their problem the buses aren't running and won't get off their backsides to come and pick you up and the next of it is you're getting verbal warnings. knobs.

So if the strike's called off, does that mean all the buses are back to normal now?, since they decided to work to rule a few days ago and only run buses when they felt like it. got a night out tomorrow and don't fancy freezing at the bus stop.