aberdeen-music

typing onto pdf files

Ollie

Adobe Acrobat I'm afraid or Photoshop/Illustrator, which are passable for single page files.

All the freeware alternatives I've tried have been unutterably shite & destroyed the formatting of the original document, or saved unopenable files. Still, if anyone knows a reliable one, I'd love to know as it would help a lot of other people. :)

If it is any help, before I got my full copy of Acrobat, we used to print & scan the PDF into photoshop/word, do the typing & save it back to PDF (from photoshop) or RTF/DOC from word.

If you're opening the PDF up in Adobe Acrobat Reader (which is free) and it won't let you type on the document (because you can type onto PDFs using Reader) then the PDF has been protected and made read-only by the author. So there is no way of being able to type on the document short of taking a screen capture of each page and then typing over the top of them or, as already suggested, printing it out and then scanning it back in.

You realise the whole point of PDFs is that they can't be easily edited? Chances are... if it's in PDF you maybe shouldn't be typing into it.

That may have been the original idea but in my line, many agencies/funders & the like are now insisting that all the paperwork is submitted online, on their forms, which are almost invariably supplied on PDF. Also, many of the publishers I deal with are now moving to PDF as a preferred format for anything that includes graphics.

Which is a bit of a bind, especially when the applicants have this habit of discovering they need some vital form or other completed yesterday & I'm one of the only two folk in the building with a full copy of Acrobat (& no, we don't lend-out copies!) :swearing:

Which is a bit of a bind, especially when the applicants have this habit of discovering they need some vital form or other completed yesterday & I'm one of the only two folk in the building with a full copy of Acrobat (& no, we don't lend-out copies!) :swearing:

You can type onto PDFs just fine using Adobe Acrobat Reader (which is completely free). Assuming the PDFs haven't been protected by their author(s).