aberdeen-music

Culturedeluxe's Top 50 Albums Of The Year

Richie

Guest Giles Walker

Looks alright to me, it's pretty hard to do a top 50 list of anything and cover all bases.

Nice to see Riton at the top of the list, he played a blinding set for us a few weeks ago.

You gonna do a top 50 singles? I didn't spot one on the sight at a glance.

Ah, now this was voted for by all our writers so there's bound to be a few cruddy ones that sneak in!

Must admit I didn't like Hadouken! being so high but it's the way it goes :D

Giles - probably won't do a Top 50 singles, mind you we have in the past. Top 10 remixes too I seem to recall that was pretty good.

Guest Giles Walker

My only gripe is that the Flying Lotus album isn't included yet the Q Tip and Portishead albums are.

But i'm sure Pitchfork/most hipster magazines will have it in the top 5 anyway.

His essential mix the other week was amazing, although if you are not familiar with his sound it would be quite difficult to get into.

For the best part it feels like someone sat down and went "Okay, what would indie art school poser kids enjoy?" then put it in a big shit list.

I enjoy maybe 4 of the records on there.

Not sure what you consider "indie art school poser". I don't think the likes of the Kaiser Chiefs, MGMT and Bloc Party, for example, would be consider "hipster"-ish enough for such a description. I'd say it appears to be a pretty honest and not overthought list given the great variation in popularity, credibility etc of the bands/artists on it.

Guest Giles Walker
I was pretty underwhelmed by Flying Lotus actually. A big shame as I was really looking forward to it at the time.

Yeah i missed all the hype as i was living in the country when it came out, but when i listened to it for the first time i was very underwhelmed as well.

It's a total grower of an album in my opinion as i adore it now.

Also i don't want to be a crazy pedant here, but, didn't the Bon Iver album originally come out in 2007?

That's certainly when i first heard about it.

Not sure what you consider "indie art school poser". I don't think the likes of the Kaiser Chiefs, MGMT and Bloc Party, for example, would be consider "hipster"-ish enough for such a description. I'd say it appears to be a pretty honest and not overthought list given the great variation in popularity, credibility etc of the bands/artists on it.

Bloc Party consist solely of those kind of people as does a sizeable chunk of their fanbase, from personal experience anyway...

The highly overrated Crystal Castles, Goldfrapp, Sons and Daughters...

nah, you are boring.

if you don't like their opinion on their favourite albums of the year; take the time to do a top 50 of your own and stick it on the web

Hardly. If the guy posts it up on a forum he has every right to comment on what he thinks of it, without having to do one of his own.

nah, you are boring.

if you don't like their opinion on their favourite albums of the year; take the time to do a top 50 of your own and stick it on the web

Calm it dear, my 'Borrrrrring' was to the Bon Iver comment, not the action of compiling the list.

I'm doing my favourite albums for the student paper in the new year. It's not the web, but does that still count?

Calm it dear, my 'Borrrrrring' was to the Bon Iver comment, not the action of compiling the list.

I'm doing my favourite albums for the student paper in the new year. It's not the web, but does that still count?

Even better. I'm genuinely embarrassed that none of us on the site got round to listening to Bon Iver. Also slightly miffed that 4AD chose that one not to send us!

Even better. I'm genuinely embarrassed that none of us on the site got round to listening to Bon Iver. Also slightly miffed that 4AD chose that one not to send us!

It's a lovely album! If i had to pick one from 'that' type this year though, i'd go for Samamidon - All is Well. It just pips Bon Iver to the post.

MySpace.com - Samamidon - Vermont/New York, New York - Folk / Experimental / Indie - www.myspace.com/samamidon

Reeeaal nice!

The highly overrated....Goldfrapp...

Wrongggggg.

Seventh Tree was one of the most genuinely original and exciting albums this year. After the fairly major success of Supernature they could have just kept peddling quirky disco-pop and cashing in off T4 on the Beach appearances and phone advert deals for at least another 2 albums. Instead they completely stopped the ship and released a really weird, chilling folk album with no dancefloor appeal whatsoever, that sounds like Kate Bush, Joanna Newsom and The Cocteau Twins all at the same time.