aberdeen-music

Darts

RossP

As is the type of person on here who follows it, they all seem to be of the same ilk. It's an interesting clique-type thing.

God forbid that a few folk on a message board like darts.

Anyway, like I said, I've been playing since I was 12. With the darts being prominent in the winter time, it's a good way to pass the time when there's nothing to do outside.

Just wondering why there was the need to further comment on the weight and skill of the players, as you made your feelings clear earlier in the thread on that matter.

Since you are starting to do my nut in and take my attention away from an exciting game, here's my 2 cents:

Darts is just like any sport, in that it requires years of practice, training and hardwork in order for success to be had. For the complete novice, hitting the board is hard enough... these guys can get three darts in a tiny piece of board from almost 8 feet away, and do it regularly. That deserves a lot more respect than you are givining it.

The reason darts has become increasingly popular is because more events are televised and greater prize money/sponsorship/news coverage has built it up.

Sky have been affa canny with their new tournament formats as well, making games shorter and more exciting; as well as introducing great commentators/eye candy/walk on music/sing a longs into the adverts etc etc. Much like how Sky have marketed the once 'boring' Ryder cup in golf, into an exciting 'battle' of the continents.

If it doesn't float your boat, don't watch it, don't moan about it. Simple as that.

Ahh, now you see you've missed my point completely. I did say that there is an element skill involved in it (at no point had i said it didn't). As for the weight of Darts players, I was commenting on a widely held public opinion that until recently i hadn't realised had changed enough to warrant an upsurge in popularity of a sport that had never been at the forefront of athletic endeavors. If you walked out onto a high street 10 years ago and asked the general public what they thought people who played darts were like and then asked the general public 10 years later would their perception have changed so radically?

I also think its a bit strange how the only people who follow it on here are into the same types of music, whereas football has a total cross-section.

It comes across on Sky, to me, as a similar marketing ploy to Wrestling. People take the piss out of it but a distinctly niche-market sport has suddenly become a lot more popular.

The sport must also have changed considerably itself to have as high a focus on female darts players these days where womens darts was very much hush hush 10 years ago.

I really can't be bothered with you anymore Phil. Nae wonder you are struggling with the women if you are as argumentative as this.

What was argumentative about that post? I'm asking a reasonable question, it was neither aggressive or out of order. Why the personal dig? I'm genuinely interested as i was watching it on the telly and wondered why it had suddenly become more popular than i remembered it being.

What's your problem with that?

*sigh*

In other news, the Wade v. Nicholson match has been pretty terrible. I'd fancy the winner of Barney v. Klaasen to hammer tonight's winner in the Semi-Final.

Going to watch a bit of the Spurs v. Wigan game for a change of pace, as I have 5 on Wigan at DNB 3.2 (returning 16)

The Wade vs. Nicholson match is terrible. I've given up and gone on a 24 binge. :)

I couldn't really tell you why I like darts...I take a casual (very, very casual) interest in boxing and I'll watch the snooker and rugby union if it's on, I guess darts is the same. It's a sport (although, I can see where you're coming from Phil), and you do get into after a wee while.

I can see the wrestling comparison, what with the intros, the women (who give me the creeps with their permanent grins) etc, but for the most part that stuff just amuses me. I don't know if I'd ever go and see it...maybe. I just don't know what I'd get out of it, really.

• Upvote 1

The Wade vs. Nicholson match is terrible. I've given up and gone on a 24 binge. :)

I couldn't really tell you why I like darts...I take a casual (very, very casual) interest in boxing and I'll watch the snooker and rugby union if it's on, I guess darts is the same. It's a sport (although, I can see where you're coming from Phil), and you do get into after a wee while.

I can see the wrestling comparison, what with the intros, the women (who give me the creeps with their permanent grins) etc, but for the most part that stuff just amuses me. I don't know if I'd ever go and see it...maybe. I just don't know what I'd get out of it, really.

Cheers for the sensible answer.

Not a problem, Phil! :up:

It's quite tough going into why you really, really like a sport. I guess there's just stuff you can watch and stuff you can't. I cannot, for the life of me, enjoy or even put on women's football. I couldn't tell you why and I have nothing against it or that, just, no.

i think darts is exciting to watch. and with the PDC really ramping up on the commercial potential of darts, we could be moving towards an explosion in popularity similar to that of the BDO in the early 80s

I have always loved watching it on the telly but never really started playing until a year or so ago when scan had a dartboard at his place, kinda went from there.

as for the clique bollocks; I am nae sure what tree you are barking up but I can't be arsed tryingto analyse and take bait. It something I like doing whether I am up at scans for band practice, on football away days/home days, at my folks place (dart board in garage) etc

anyways, Im off to the lakeside tomorrow, keep an eye out on the telly!

It would appear not. 7-1.

Barney had lots of chances to win the first 3 or 4 sets and if he won a few of them I really think it could've been a different story. It wasn't as one sided as the scoreline suggests...

Martin Adams (Wolfie) nearly gave my accumulator a scare with a very ordinary performance in the BDO. As did Blackburn Rovers for that matter.

Aye, even Irvine Welsh is intae it

I used to play darts all over England , and when I broke my wrist I simply changed hands - I am ambidextrous and love showing off by finishing on a double 10 with my left hand .

Darts and lager and music and hip Scottish writers writing funny stuff wi a great cast - AYE - this is too good to be true and will be on TV in a few weeks .

Colin MacIntyre You're A Star Video by Colin MacIntyre (aka Mull Historical Society) - MySpace Video

Guest Jake Wifebeater

John Boy was awesome last night, haven't seen him play like that in years. Delighted to see Webster beat and therefore his girning Doric bint will now be off the telly.

If Walton gets past Hankey he's a good shout for the title...