aberdeen-music

joe satriani sues coldplay for plagiarism

Guest Bob Double Jack

I just love the idea that Chris Martin listens to Joe Satriani.

I love the idea of Coldplay actually trying to learn a Satriani song o_O I love Satch, but I think this is another pretty ridiculous law suit and it's a shame to see him instigating it rather than some wannabe (as in the Hives case).

I love Satch, but I think this is another pretty ridiculous law suit and it's a shame to see him instigating it rather than some wannabe (as in the Hives case).

Aye, I think much the same. I remember it was my mum who told me about this first on the phone. When she said it was "some instrumental guy" I assumed it would be some no-name looking to make a fast buck, but I was pretty taken aback when I realised it was Satch. To go chasing things like this seems a bit below him / petty.

Also, I don't suppose this matters much, but in the comparison video that everyone's using for this on Youtube, Viva La Vida has been sped up a wee bit so it sounds like it's in the same key as If I Could Fly.

YouTube - Did Coldplay copy Joe Satriani?

over 10,000 comments on you tube including this classic -

xesnoteleks (8 minutes ago) Show Hide 0 Marked as spam Reply | Spam Shitty emo fag coldplay dares to steal from Satriani, one of greatest musicians of today?!

I don't know what's worse - the ascertian that Coldplay are "emo", the casual homophobia or the ludricous suggestion that Satriani is "one of the greatest musicians today".

I love the internet.

I hate Joe Satriani and coldplay.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
I concur. I've been a massive Coldplay cynic for a long time but went to this on the strength of the new album, which I really like. Was hit for six by how good they were to be honest.

It's been a long time since I've seen Coldplay live, but they've always been a very good live band IMO :up:

I'm the opposite, they seem like solid gold guys, with solid shit songs.

I think the rest of them seem ok. Think the Drummer looks a bit odd when he sings, just some of the shit Chris Martin comes out with annoys me and i ca stand his fucking Mrs.

That is one of the best gigs i have been too on sat night. Gutted they never played "Shiver" as it's my fav but don't hitnk they have played it for a while.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
I think the rest of them seem ok. Think the Drummer looks a bit odd when he sings, just some of the shit Chris Martin comes out with annoys me and i ca stand his fucking Mrs.

That is one of the best gigs i have been too on sat night. Gutted they never played "Shiver" as it's my fav but don't hitnk they have played it for a while.

Me and a couple of my mates saw them at Music Hall years and years ago - think I was 19, so 7 years ago. They played Shiver and it was awesome. We seemed to be the only 3 in the crowd that knew it though - the atmosphere at that gig was terrible until they played Trouble, which was the single at the time.

Funniest part of the gig was Chris Martin throwing stuff into the crowd - the star "prize" was his acoustic guitar which saw one hell of a ruckus break out as everyone wanted to take it home. Some massively tall guy caught it and should have been left to it fair and square, but the strap dangled down and a couple of folk started pulling it, and a 10 minute tug o' war ensued. In the end, the security just took it off them. Can't remember if anyone actually got to take the guitar home in the end.

Me and a couple of my mates saw them at Music Hall years and years ago - think I was 19, so 7 years ago. They played Shiver and it was awesome. We seemed to be the only 3 in the crowd that knew it though - the atmosphere at that gig was terrible until they played Trouble, which was the single at the time.

Funniest part of the gig was Chris Martin throwing stuff into the crowd - the star "prize" was his acoustic guitar which saw one hell of a ruckus break out as everyone wanted to take it home. Some massively tall guy caught it and should have been left to it fair and square, but the strap dangled down and a couple of folk started pulling it, and a 10 minute tug o' war ensued. In the end, the security just took it off them. Can't remember if anyone actually got to take the guitar home in the end.

Trouble, Shiver and Don't Panic were all dropped from the set on Saturday anyway. I can't stick Trouble or Don't Panic, but Shiver is a tune.

They actually took the liberty of siphoning out the tunes of theirs that I don't really like. Worked out pretty well for me, I must say.