aberdeen-music

Bit of a hand please...

Alkaline

I am looking for a bit of a hand from people who have experience in making their music available through online music stores for download (i am considering both pay and non-pay sites). Does anyone have any experiences of this sort of thing or any sites that they recommend for maximum exposure/impact and how to go about setting these things up.

Basically, Genevieve, are putting the finishing touches on a Christmas single (2 songs) and i want to make it available digitally online rather than on CD/Vinyl/Whatever. It has to be something that's quite easy to set up as i'm a complete novice at this sort of thing. I'm treating it as an experiment for future releases as well as we have another release in the pipeline that i wouldn't mind being available on both physical/download formats.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm not looking at getting into a debate about ethics or content of my bands music, just help on the above topic.

Thanks in advance. :up:

Can't help much but I have noticed that some of the online stores are very US biased.

One of my favourite artists recently released an online only album and I couldn't access all 4 sources...i.e. Amazon MP3, Napster.

All I can say is make sure it can be released worldwide (properly)

Good luck with the release Phil:up:

Guest Tam o' Shantie

emubands is good, one off fee of 20 quid or something for the distribution then you take absolutely every part of your share from all the pay sites that it is sold on. 10ew made a little bit of dough off this.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
I had a look at Emubands and they look like a good bet. Having said that we're experiencing a bit of a Belgian delay on the second christmas song.

I will keep you informed. Cheers to everyone for the help :up:

You'd better nip on - Xmas is nae far away....

If you want to be Xmas number 1 you'll have to release it this week ;)

Aye, well one will definitely be up on our myspace by the end of the week.

Nah, we can't compete with Alexandra Burke :down:

I say sack the Jeff Buckley campaign, lets get Genevieve to number 1....

Haha, whilst that would be absolutely hilarious, and possibly the best thing to ever happen to me, it's also the most unlikely thing in the world :D

X Factor has the xmas number 1 slot booked for the foreseeable future. :down:

Because I'm bored........

I just looked up the chart rules and stuff like that.

Alexandra Burke has currently sold about 150,000 copies (on download only). Leon Jackson's single sold about 260,000 copies last year, and I'm guessing this will outsell it, so to be safe we'll say you'll need to sell 300,000 copies to be number 1.

The chart rules state you must sell your digital download track for a minimum of 40p to be eligible for the UK charts.

I'm thinking it wouldn't be unreasonable for people to spend 2 each on this campaign, downloading the track 5 times.

All you need to do to get to number 1 is convince 60,000 people to spend 2 and you're laughing.

Can't see how this would pose a problem?

are you not a trainee lawyer supposed to be doing menial due dilligence type tasks on something that isnt a music forum?

Aye, but not much on at the moment, and can't be bothered. I'm sitting in a client's office, but only have 5 days to go before heading back to my own office, so they're not giving me any new work. Just boring admin type stuff to sort out before Tuesday.

Thanks for your concern though :)