aberdeen-music

Dave Murdoch

Marillionboy

A well known cult around Aberdeen, and mentioned on this board a few times in the past, but I have just found out that Dave Murdoch committed suicide on 23rd November by jumping off the bridge in Union Street. Does anyone know any more details, ie what prompted him to do this? I knew Dave quite well for a while years back, and he was still fairly level-headed then, but within a year he had slid into heavy drinking and depression and every time I have bumped into him in Aberdeen ever since he just seemed to be more and more beyond reach.

Anyway, RIP Dave; I'll raise a glass to you.

A well known cult around Aberdeen, and mentioned on this board a few times in the past, but I have just found out that Dave Murdoch committed suicide on 23rd November by jumping off the bridge in Union Street. Does anyone know any more details, ie what prompted him to do this? I knew Dave quite well for a while years back, and he was still fairly level-headed then, but within a year he had slid into heavy drinking and depression and every time I have bumped into him in Aberdeen ever since he just seemed to be more and more beyond reach.

Anyway, RIP Dave; I'll raise a glass to you.

I don't know the details but it is rumored that the Doctors had recently changed his medication. This may or may not be correct.

Changes in psychiatric medication may occasionally precipitate a suicide. A depressed person is apathetic, the medicines act on the apathy very quickly, but take longer to treat the depression, the result being that you have a depressed person with lots of get up and go, not a good combination.

Dave and I were flat mates for a spell in early 1992. I look back fondly on that time as it was the only time in my life that I experienced true freedom. We had very little income, no television, only 2 LPs, had to scrounge the shops for food that was hitting it's sell by, could only afford electricity 4 days a week, and amused ourselves by playing the game where you write someone's name on a skin and stick it to the other persons forehead.

I learned a lot from Dave, he was 5 years older than me and taught me how to think deeply about things. He was a very interesting person and always had a weird story to keep you amused, he was also a great conversationalist.

Dave had fantastic insight into the workings of other people. This also had a darker side, and he knew exactly what to say to badly upset someone, even if he had only known the person a short time. Whilst I was never fully on the receiving end I did bear witness to this a couple of times. Once I was about 0.5 seconds from using my fists on someone, when Dave reduced him to a blubbering wreck with one seemingly innocuous sentence. Fortunately he didn't resort to this very often though.

RIP Dave, you were periodically mad, occasionally bad, and always dangerous to know. The world is a poorer place without you in it.

If anyone has details of the funeral then please let me know. I'd really like the opportunity to deliver a eulogy, and Dave was always reminding me that I owed him, so this would be my last chance to pay him back. Whatever, I know that he'll be watching the proceedings with great interest, taking note of which ex-girlfriends show up etc!

Brilliantly put Flash mate, it's absolutely spot on.

The funeral, according to the clipping in the P&J my dad sent me, is tomorrow at Ellon. Donations are to go to a mental health charity. I remember his mum lived in Udny; I'm up at Christmas (yes it's been ages) and when I am I'll drop in, and remind me to tell you the story about Dave and his pyjamas.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I'd like to know this as well because it isn't getting removed without justification.

It's not the kinda thing I'm going into on a public forum, but I have my reasons.

I have a dreadful memory for names but his is ringing alarm bels for me as well - I think I or someone once close may have known him on & off over the years.

:(

Yeah, it's bugging me where I know his name from... I get the sneaky feeling someone in my family knew him.

It's a shame when someone resorts to that.