aberdeen-music

Steve Coogan

Ian_Brown

That was horrible.

I don't think I can watch Coogan again. Was a huge fan but his live act left me totally disheartened, aside from a rather funny Partridge act.

But paying to see 25 minutes of quite funny Alan is not worth the 90 minutes of shite filler I had to deal with, or the 60 quid I shelled out for my mates birthday present.

I thought Pauline Calf was horrific, although I'm not a massive fan of the character.

Somewhat predictably, Partridge was the saving grace (although there were definitely a few great moments from some of the other characters). The musical numbers felt like they were only there because he couldn't raise a big final laugh for each character...

I thought Pauline Calf was horrific, although I'm not a massive fan of the character.

Somewhat predictably, Partridge was the saving grace (although there were definitely a few great moments from some of the other characters). The musical numbers felt like they were only there because he couldn't raise a big final laugh for each character...

I went to the gig last night and I must say that it was a bit disappointing. There was a lot of crap which had to be endured for only a few moments of real Coogan genius. Alan Partridge was the best part. The first half of the show was pretty unfunny.I did like the filler with the nervous guy from the arts council though.

I felt totally cheated when I left this last night.

Having watched - and pretty much memorised - the "Man Who Thinks He's It" (1998) video / DVD there were just so many similarities that it felt a bit like a half-hearted upgrade. Paula Calf was pretty crap until she read her story. Saxondale just felt like a watered down Partridge (with the presentation), Paul Calf was only alright and Duncan Thicket was literally just a few new lines. Partridge was alright, but didn't think much of the English history lesson and the last song seemed to serve no other purpose than to massage Coogan's ego.

On a side note; why the fuck does he insist on singing shitty songs, he's not a good singer and none of them are EVER that funny. Not worth 33 a ticket; especially when folk like Russel Howard, who was absolutely phenomenal on Friday, charged 16 and brought the house down.

I think it's a bit of a shame because Coogan is (or at least used to be) a decent enough comedian, it's just that +95% of his fans just can't see past partridge - which has become his bread and butter.

I did laugh a lot. Particularly at the PC World bit, where my friend and I were literally propping each other up.

But heckling ahas = plant, IMO.

There was one bloke absolutely hammered at the back who kept shouting it. I doubt he was a plant by the look of him :laughing:.

The 'ahas' part was obviously partly rehearsed though and he was looking for people to shout it repetitively.

I went to the gig last night and I must say that it was a bit disappointing. There was a lot of crap which had to be endured for only a few moments of real Coogan genius. Alan Partridge was the best part. The first half of the show was pretty unfunny.I did like the filler with the nervous guy from the arts council though.

I thought that was by far the worst part of the night by a mile and I was cringing. Different strokes for different folks I guess eh !

Well I thought the whole thing was great. It got better as it went on, but even the early stuff with Pauline Calf and Saxondale was damn funny I thought.

Surprised that there is so much negativity on here after hearing so much laughter last night.

Come on, you're surprised there's negativity on here? Please

There were a few laughs in the 1st half, Saxondale worked better than I expected, but still isn't a great character to try and move into a live setting. I think that's half the trouble, his characters work best interacting with others, which means Paul and Pauline Calf's Video Diaries, Saxondale and I'm Alan Partridge are much preferable to the live show.

Alan Partridge worked well because the concept of promoting himself as a life coach to an audience was a natural extension to the character.

Other than the Partridge medley (Under Pressure being a particular highlight), the songs were all pretty crap and obvious filler material. The last song started as an amusing send up of his public image but outstayed it's welcome and descended into shock value by overuse of the c-word.

Overall, not worth 30-odd quid and I wouldn't rush back to see him live again, i'll stick with the Saxondale and Partridge DVD's.