aberdeen-music

Sonic Youth Question

Monster Zero

Does anyone know why the song 'Expressway To Yr Skull' is called 'Madonna, Sean and Me' on the 'Evol' CD? It also comes up on I Tunes as that....

Just to confuse things, it's got a third title - "the crucifixion of sean penn".

it was basically at the height of their Madonna fixation (see also Ciccone Youth's The Whitey Album and Into The Groove(y) single) - they'd known her from New York when she was she was a hanger on to the scene (and was going out with Jim Sclavunous (Nick cave & the bad seeds / grinderman / ex-sonic youth drummer) if I remember correctly.

Basically, it's a band in joke.

If you've got the vinyl version of EVOL then I'm sure all three titles are used on the sleeve / inner sleeve / record but I'd have to double check.

• Upvote 1

Does anyone know why the song 'Expressway To Yr Skull' is called 'Madonna, Sean and Me' on the 'Evol' CD? It also comes up on I Tunes as that....

In fact, here's pictures of the sleeves, etc & a write up of the album - Sonic Youth Site Menu

Look at the pictures "vinyl back cover", "vinyl sleeve side 1" and "vinyl label side 2" for the three titles,