aberdeen-music

Molineux - New tracks up!

Guest treader.

Guest treader.

Hey guys,

So...for those of you who saw us perform as 'Kestrels' with Debutant, Iname and Katerwaul in the Tunnels, we're going under a new name now. 'Molineux' is what it is, and we just uploaded two demos from our forthcoming CD.

The mixes are still a bit murky in the low end and of course the myspace player compression doesnt help matters!

But anyway, here they are for your feedback:

MySpace.com - MOLINEUX - UK - Rock - www.myspace.com/molineuxband

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what is it about the vocals? the pitch?

Kind of an Emarosa/Dance Gavin Dance idea.

The recordings sound really good. Instruments sound tight.

About the vocals, I don't think they are as bad as mentioned above. However I do have an opinion on them!

I would say that my favourite bits of vocal are in Altar during the guitar playing harmonics, and right a the very start of Kizuki, its when they go into that sort of Block Party feel that I think they loose out. They just seem a little on the high side and kind of stretching too much. They'd probably benefit with saving the higher sections until right at the end of the song... more Eddie Vedder style. Don't give it all up straight away as it can end up sounding a little monotonous. Hope that is constructive rather than offensive!

Colin

Recording is pretty good quality considering i was listening to it through laptop speakers on myspace. It's not the sort of thing i would buy or go and see unless they happened to be on the same bill as someone else i wanted to see. However, the tunes are well written and it will fill another gap in the Aberdeen scene.

I actually don't mind the vocals. The lad has a good voice.

Guest idol_wild

I really like the voice. Lots. In fact, it could be used as quite a weapon in this band dynamic, given a bit of time.

I think some people may have a problem with the fact that the vocals aren't as aggressive as the music sometimes gets? This isn't a problem for me personally, but I think some people like tenacious instrumentation to be augmented by a tenacious vocal style. I've never appreciated an overly aggressive vocal style, which is why I often swerve away from music with screamy/grunty vocals. Which means most metal.

I could, of course, be very wrong.

I really appreciate the use of the delay pedals to give the sound a bit of atmosphere. But then, I fucking would like that, eh? :)

I'm not keen on the vocals or the breakdown/chug guitar parts. The first track reminds me a bit of fall of troy?

Oh ok, the second track i like more. I tots dig the combo shouting at the beginning.The vocals work a bit better on this track though i think.

Whatever. It's really well recorded (where did you do it?) and sounds really realllly tight. A million times better than the bulk of 'this' kind of stuff kicking around the 'deen. I can see it being pretty mega live if there's lots of movement and fist pumping? I'd quite like to see that.

Similar to lots of Aberdeen bands, but done a lot better!

I don't really see the problem with the vocals, but I'm a shit singer so...

Pretty tight.

Though on aesthetic value, Kestrels was a much better name in my opinion. I really liked that name. If you're gonna change it, change it to another bird related moniker. Penguins, or the Byrds, Wings, the Eagles, McFly...

Guest treader.
I'm not keen on the vocals or the breakdown/chug guitar parts. The first track reminds me a bit of fall of troy?

Oh ok, the second track i like more. I tots dig the combo shouting at the beginning.The vocals work a bit better on this track though i think.

Whatever. It's really well recorded (where did you do it?) and sounds really realllly tight. A million times better than the bulk of 'this' kind of stuff kicking around the 'deen. I can see it being pretty mega live if there's lots of movement and fist pumping? I'd quite like to see that.

The songs were done at Exile, but like I say, we're still working on final mixes etc.

The Fall of Troy comparison is really nice, as I'm a big fan.

Thanks for the kind words mateyyyyy.

Guest treader.
Similar to lots of Aberdeen bands, but done a lot better!

Just out of genuine interest, which bands is it similar to?!

Though on aesthetic value, Kestrels was a much better name in my opinion. I really liked that name. If you're gonna change it, change it to another bird related moniker. Penguins, or the Byrds, Wings, the Eagles, McFly...

Yeah, I really liked the name Kestrels. But almost as soon as we registered myspace.com/kestrelsband a band from Nova Scotia emailed us and told us basically "WE'VE HAD THAT NAME 4 YEARS. CHANGE IT OR WE WILL SUE YOU"

and I mean, it may have been a hollow threat, but we thought to be on the safe side...change the name.

So we named ourselves after my Business Studies teacher in 1st year.