aberdeen-music

Aberdeen "super" gig?

kingofdeon

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

Totally agree with Milner here.

That T in the Park gig was awesome - it was unbelievable to be bouncing in a packed tent at T in the Park to a band full of guys you know and like, and for want of a better word I was "proud" of the Little Kicks..... which sounds a little gay, but its true. I've been good mates with Steven for years, and have followed the kicks pretty closely, and for me as a fan, that was the highlight. I've not actually been to any of the gigs where you've supported some great bands (apart from Maccabees at Tunnels, which was ace) for one reason or another, but have been to many an empty gig, as well as the sold out Lemon Tree gigs etc. T in the Park was just simply brilliant - highlight of my weekend last year. :up:

As for the whole "success" argument - I'll come from a personal point of view. The Underkills were formed as a drunken discussion (funnily enough at a Little Kicks/Rescue Party Lemon Tree gig....). I had never even touched a bass guitar before our first practice session (a little over 3 years ago now). We practised as a band for a year before doing anything in public, so we've been gigging for just over a couple of years. In that time, we've supported some great acts, played at the Wizard Festival twice, including headlining the unsigned stage, and packing our tent out despite clashing with the Damned and Roddy Woomble. As well as some great gigs out of Aberdeen etc. I class that as a "success" from a personal point of view. We're moving on from that now and to achieve more "success" we have to go away and write better music, and hopefully come back with a rejuvinated set and get some proper recordings done, possibly an album, who knows. But I go back to the word "proud". I'm proud of what we've achieved, from what started out as 3 drunk mates pissing about at our mates' gig :up:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sit here bored on a friday night - a bity worse for wear but however .....

anyway was thinking why don't some of the promoters on here promote an "aberdeen Super Gig" and get the best Local bands on the same bill on the same night? Have it at Moshulu or the Forum or somewhere substantial so everyone gets to see the finest the town has to offer. No doubt i will get snide remarks for this but hey i'm really not bothered.

Have a quick vote on here who the towns finest are and get a gig organized for the start(ish) of next year. Little Kicks, Copy Haho etc etc on the same night? Everyone moans how bad things are here but i think this would be a great idea....

I would be willing to help out any way poss....

I have been toying with the idea of putting on an event at the Beach Ball Room for sometime now. I have organized some decent size gigs all over Scotland and quite enjoy it. Although I have to admit they have always been for my bands, but I really fancied trying to pull off an extravaganza.

The problem was I wanted to put it on covering loads of different styles of bands, Original, Covers, Tributes etc. My idea was to put on some of the most popular bands in the town on one bill. But the problem I found that there was so much bitching between folk that it would cause me to much stress and hassle trying to confirm a line up, that would not only get people in, but that wouldnt cause a mass of arguments.

I have been toying with the idea of putting on an event at the Beach Ball Room for sometime now. I have organized some decent size gigs all over Scotland and quite enjoy it. Although I have to admit they have always been for my bands, but I really fancied trying to pull off an extravaganza.

The problem was I wanted to put it on covering loads of different styles of bands, Original, Covers, Tributes etc. My idea was to put on some of the most popular bands in the town on one bill. But the problem I found that there was so much bitching between folk that it would cause me to much stress and hassle trying to confirm a line up, that would not only get people in, but that wouldnt cause a mass of arguments.

I think many people have the idea but its just getting the organiztion spot on...i think the Beach Ballroom would be a great venue for it. If it was funded properly i think it would be a great success.

I think many people have the idea but its just getting the organiztion spot on...i think the Beach Ballroom would be a great venue for it. If it was funded properly i think it would be a great success.

Financially I could have funded it initially. I have contacts where I could have got hold of PA's and stuff at discounted prices and put on a proper show. I even looked at the idea of getting involved with a couple of local charity's to pass on any profits, so I wasn't accused of doing it to make a wad of cash.

But after I spoke to a few people, it seemed to me to be more hassle than it was worth. Not because of the time etc it would take to organize, but because of the attitudes of a lot of the people I would have liked to have had involved.

Financially I could have funded it initially. I have contacts where I could have got hold of PA's and stuff at discounted prices and put on a proper show. I even looked at the idea of getting involved with a couple of local charity's to pass on any profits, so I wasn't accused of doing it to make a wad of cash.

But after I spoke to a few people, it seemed to me to be more hassle than it was worth. Not because of the time etc it would take to organize, but because of the attitudes of a lot of the people I would have liked to have had involved.

Sucks cause i think it would do nothing but benefit not all involved but also the music in the town.

Dudes, depending on when you're planning this to be and if you'd like us to be involved, give me a shout and The Underkills may be interested in both playing and helping out.

MySpace.com - The Underkills - UK - Rock / Alternative / Indie - www.myspace.com/theunderkills

It would need to be at least 6 months away before we will play at it though because we're doing no gigs for a good while!

But give me a shout if you need help organising etc. I've a busy 2009 ahead of me, but will lend a hand if and when I can.

Cheers,

Calum

:up:

If we dont become any more known than the small amount we are already, im sure ill still keep writing music as i enjoy it so much.

As long as you enjoy it - when your in a band who are trying to hard to "succeed" (whatever that may be in a mind) its easy to forget to have fun! (that makes me sound old but i reckon bands split up because they forget this)

Totally agree with this.

People assign too much disappointment with not reaching their imagined goals, satisfaction comes when these goals become realistic. Not to say that aspiring to great heights is a bad thing or wrong but make some realistic achievable goals to have fun along the way. My latest one was to learn how to use my sampler so that I could do a gig with it... which I have achieved. The next goal will be a little more adventurous.

So who are the Aberdeen super groups then? And what order do you put them on in ha ha?

Totally agree with this.

People assign too much disappointment with not reaching their imagined goals, satisfaction comes when these goals become realistic. Not to say that aspiring to great heights is a bad thing or wrong but make some realistic achievable goals to have fun along the way. My latest one was to learn how to use my sampler so that I could do a gig with it... which I have achieved. The next goal will be a little more adventurous.

So who are the Aberdeen super groups then? And what order do you put them on in ha ha?

Certainly never meant to indicate i wanted to put on a gig of what i thought were "Super groups", although I know that is what the thread is hinting at blah blah.

I just want to put on a night of bands I think a lot of people would enjoy. I certainly don't want to be drawn into an argument on who are super groups

Totally agree with this.

Would be a "super" (cringe everytime i use that word now) gig opposed to super groups. Suggestions of Aberdeen's finest would be appreciated! I have a few bands i would like to ask

All Genres welcome...! However saying that i'm pretty sure the "best local bands" issue has been touched on here more than once...

However saying that i'm pretty sure the "best local bands" issue has been touched on here more than once...

Yes, a sickening amount

There are definitely a few bands that pop up in the majority those threads. Go for it though, this is one of those achievable goals and you will feel very satisfied with yourself if you can get it to work! Make it as grand an event as you can. Plenty of people I'm sure would be willing to help and if you can tie it in to some charitable cause then all the better. Planning is the key to this one.

Good luck, I'll happily spread the word should you get something sorted.

Yes, a sickening amount

There are definitely a few bands that pop up in the majority those threads. Go for it though, this is one of those achievable goals and you will feel very satisfied with yourself if you can get it to work! Make it as grand an event as you can. Plenty of people I'm sure would be willing to help and if you can tie it in to some charitable cause then all the better. Planning is the key to this one.

Good luck, I'll happily spread the word should you get something sorted.

cheers mate.

Such a thing has been done before, in the dim and distant past - "The Big Bang at Bonkers" (horrible name, I know), happened in May 1992 at Bonkers nightclub (between the two times it was called Ritzys, and now known as Liquid), and featured 9 Aberdeen local bands of a variety of musical styles. It was organised by members of one of the nine bands who played, and was completely sold out. (IIRC about 1200 punters) Northsound recorded and broadcast 2 tracks from each band on a special show which went out live.

The whole point behind the gig was to get A&R scouts up to Aberdeen to check out what was going on - because only 9 bands were playing, 2 other similar events happened on the same night at Drummonds and the Pelican club, meaning approximately 20 Aberdeen bands were playing on the same evening.

It was held on the Sunday night before the May day public holiday - no worries about work the next day.

In those days however, there were a lot fewer venues for bands to play in - The Lemon Tree hadn't even opened - it was really Drummonds, and occasionally Student Unions - nowadays ,there's a lot more possible venues. There were also a lot fewer bands - there's heaps more in Aberdeen nowadays.

Hope that's useful

Regards

Flossie

Such a thing has been done before, in the dim and distant past - "The Big Bang at Bonkers" (horrible name, I know), happened in May 1992 at Bonkers nightclub (between the two times it was called Ritzys, and now known as Liquid), and featured 9 Aberdeen local bands of a variety of musical styles. It was organised by members of one of the nine bands who played, and was completely sold out. (IIRC about 1200 punters) Northsound recorded and broadcast 2 tracks from each band on a special show which went out live.

The whole point behind the gig was to get A&R scouts up to Aberdeen to check out what was going on - because only 9 bands were playing, 2 other similar events happened on the same night at Drummonds and the Pelican club, meaning approximately 20 Aberdeen bands were playing on the same evening.

It was held on the Sunday night before the May day public holiday - no worries about work the next day.

In those days however, there were a lot fewer venues for bands to play in - The Lemon Tree hadn't even opened - it was really Drummonds, and occasionally Student Unions - nowadays ,there's a lot more possible venues. There were also a lot fewer bands - there's heaps more in Aberdeen nowadays.

Hope that's useful

Regards

Flossie

Tell you what - that sounds amazing.

Getting like 20 odd bands together to play across various venues in Aberdeen on the same night. Logistical nightmare, but if pulled off it would be absolutely incredible... :up:

(In 1992, I was 10...)

Flossie

That was a great night, the first time I ever took acid.*

*To the point that Cherry 2000 sounded just like the Stones.

What are the respective capacities of the Beach Ballroom and the Forum?

I've came up with an amazing idea inspired by this thread........

I think the Forum is 350 and the Beach ball room is over the 1000 mark, but not exactly sure. The problem is that you can't have live music in the Forum till after 10pm, as the Stage Door restaurant is above it.

Have already made enquiries into the Beach Ball room and it's not cheap. But am certainly going to give it a go, certainly with all the interest this thread has attracted.

I think the Forum is 350 and the Beach ball room is over the 1000 mark, but not exactly sure. The problem is that you can't have live music in the Forum till after 10pm, as the Stage Door restaurant is above it.

Have already made enquiries into the Beach Ball room and it's not cheap. But am certainly going to give it a go, certainly with all the interest this thread has attracted.

Surely if it was for a charitable cause, the ballroom would either heavily the reduce the fee or make it free? I mean, they wouldn't want to look like a bunch of arseholes and taking money meant for charity, would they?