aberdeen-music

Aberdeen "super" gig?

kingofdeon

I sit here bored on a friday night - a bity worse for wear but however .....

anyway was thinking why don't some of the promoters on here promote an "aberdeen Super Gig" and get the best Local bands on the same bill on the same night? Have it at Moshulu or the Forum or somewhere substantial so everyone gets to see the finest the town has to offer. No doubt i will get snide remarks for this but hey i'm really not bothered.

Have a quick vote on here who the towns finest are and get a gig organized for the start(ish) of next year. Little Kicks, Copy Haho etc etc on the same night? Everyone moans how bad things are here but i think this would be a great idea....

I would be willing to help out any way poss....

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who decides who the best local bands are? In terms of a 'super gig', are the best bands the ones that pull the biggest crowd, as filling the Forum or Moshulu is no easy task.

Well as i said we could kinda put it a vote on here....not a vote but suggestions and then i would appraoach the bands. It could be any genre just to showcase some of the talent. We often bring pretty mediocore bands up here i feel and overlook the talent we have so i feel a night showcasing Aberdeen's finest would be really good.

Its just an idea and any suggestions are welcome.

PS - if o have spelt anything wrong - my bad x

Guest Tam o' Shantie

yup it's a nice idea but it's been done a million times before...this was also when there was a real bond between local bands as well so these days I very much doubt it could work. Some of the old AUBL lineups were probably the 'best' bands of the time, and often they were fairly different. Just seemed to work though.

O'Shantie's right enough, a few years ago this was a reasonably common occurrence. AUBL ran Poll:ution and their annual AUBLooza every new year. Ben (at the time Quik, now Weapon) did a few of the Reckoning Day gigs at Lava. Mark "Pickle" Nicholl ran the Nemis nights at the Loft on Justice Mill Lane. All of these were back in about 01-03 and I'm sure they extended a bit beyond.

If you get a group of like-minded bands, it's really not a tough thing to put together. When we were still kicking about regularly, there were probably ten bands we could call on to get or cover support slots when we had things going and it was a lot of fun. None of us made any money out of it, but there were some fantastic nights put on and some really good crowds too. It's amazing the crossover we used to get between crowds too.

There was even, at one stage, a committee put together to look at the viability of an Aberdeen all day mega-gig at the Beach Ballroom, with local bands all day and a big headliner at the end. Unfortunately it never took off because of a lot of issues with security, etc. but the meetings were a good laugh! :D I wonder if anyone else remembers being on that committee....

yup it's a nice idea but it's been done a million times before...this was also when there was a real bond between local bands as well so these days I very much doubt it could work. Some of the old AUBL lineups were probably the 'best' bands of the time, and often they were fairly different. Just seemed to work though.

My sentiments entirely. Also, a lot of the good bands in Aberdeen are touring pretty regularly/have relocated elsewhere, so it could be a bit of a headache to organise. Would still be nice though.

I'm gonna piss a lot of peeps off here.Aberdeen has never produced a successful band only individual musicians.....but successful musicians never the lesslI think bands in this town are too much up their own arse........oops!:gringo:

I'm gonna piss a lot of peeps off here.Aberdeen has never produced a successful band only individual musicians.....but successful musicians never the lesslI think bands in this town are too much up their own arse........oops!:gringo:

I think that local bands aren't far enough up their own arses.

O'Shantie's right enough, a few years ago this was a reasonably common occurrence. AUBL ran Poll:ution and their annual AUBLooza every new year. Ben (at the time Quik, now Weapon) did a few of the Reckoning Day gigs at Lava. Mark "Pickle" Nicholl ran the Nemis nights at the Loft on Justice Mill Lane. All of these were back in about 01-03 and I'm sure they extended a bit beyond.

If you get a group of like-minded bands, it's really not a tough thing to put together. When we were still kicking about regularly, there were probably ten bands we could call on to get or cover support slots when we had things going and it was a lot of fun. None of us made any money out of it, but there were some fantastic nights put on and some really good crowds too. It's amazing the crossover we used to get between crowds too.

There was even, at one stage, a committee put together to look at the viability of an Aberdeen all day mega-gig at the Beach Ballroom, with local bands all day and a big headliner at the end. Unfortunately it never took off because of a lot of issues with security, etc. but the meetings were a good laugh! :D I wonder if anyone else remembers being on that committee....

i do indeed :)

good times, good idea, total lack of support from aberdeen media. bah.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
Depends on how you classify "success".

The Needles had their music videos played on MTV, played SXSW, supported Muse at the SECC and basically became underground darlings of the Scottish scene (before calling it a day earlier this year).

The Little Kicks have played the T-Break stage twice (or is that three times?).

PVH had their frontman provide vocals to 'The beautiful new born children' at SXSW as well as playing T-Break.

Copy Haho are getting a fair buzz kicking about about them just now and have also feautured on a few of the bigger radio playlists.

That's all in fairly recent times. As I say, it depends how you classify "success".

Being in a band myself - I would call all that "success"

(Little Kicks have only played T-Break once I think - they've been to the heats three times though I think - playing once is pretty amazing in my eyes though!) Not to mention the unbelievable number of great support slots they've had, and even doing things like selling out the Lemon Tree is a "success" for a local band.

some bands are totally up their own arses in this town (but you'll find that anywhere)

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
I'm sure they've played it twice (I could be wrong) and went for it a third time but sadly didn't get all the way through. As i say, I might be wrong.

I forgot to mention MMW getting their video on the go as well as playing 'Taste of Chaos' a wee while.

There are loads of achievements that spring to mind - even after reeling off that lot. Considering the size of Aberdeen... the music scene really isn't all that bad.

I'm fairly certain they went for it in 2006 and didn't get past the heats, got to T-Break in 2007 and got the heats this year, but not the gig.

Doesn't really matter - the Little Kicks have done loads of great stuff! :up:

Steven will clear this up.....??

re - t break

We applied with our first demo - didnt get through to anything - three Ts ago

Then we applied with our EP3 (recorded with stanley) - got to heats then played tinthepark - two Ts ago - magic (played best show weve ever played / had fun)

Last year, we sent brand new stuff in on the premise that we thought we had no chance of getting through but that by default the panel would be listening to the demos and subsequently it was good to let them hear our new tunage for exposure - we were surprised to get through to the heats again but alas, didnt progress - which wasnt a surprise.

(i know some bands who would have (one who did) turn/turned down the heats that 2nd time but i think its fun to play tuts - especially rammed -and also we played a brand new set so it was good for us to do in front of those "people")

I would love to play T again - best fun ever - but would doubt wed be applying again as i think its safe to say we wouldnt get through again!

(funny though - people assume your getting signed when you play tinthepark, when you come back and dont theyre like, oh well, i guess you had your chance kind of thing - it really is just another gig unless you work the a/r and mgmt people in advance to come see you- we spent three days flyering the public instead and had an ace time, maybe we should have done the other way round but then again the crowd was amazing and maybe wouldnt have played so well!...)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i just wrote a whole spiel on this and deleted it coz im an idiot.....

basically, i think this coming together of bands would be a good thing and for more than a few gigs...

As for achieving success, I totally agree with lester burnham.

i think people mark their own successes differently,

Copy ha ho - I would bet if you asked them if playing with Sebadoh at Tryptich was better than a slot at TinthePark theyd say it was.

Little Kicks -

for us as an example, on paper tinthepark is probably our peak so far but personally my highlights do include that but little things like the first time we played london are probably more important to me in a big way. Or opening for Maximo Park @ Caird Hall, we were only opening up and it wasnt our crowd (admittedly 2000 people and i was shitting myself) but its stayed with me more than T and it would be probably 5-7 sentences down on a bio we gave out to a/r / mgmt or a label.

Were going to do a single and an album next year, i dont care if were not signed or anything, when it sounds good and im pleased with it ill feel like I succeeded in that.

I feel like labels and companies are a bit redundant now to an extent (but thats a side issue) so if we make it, put it out ourselves and people like that thats enough for me. Then ideally play some gigs, ideally further and further away and as far and wide as possible distrubute cds for a while and then make another one thats better / different!

If we dont become any more known than the small amount we are already, im sure ill still keep writing music as i enjoy it so much.

As long as you enjoy it - when your in a band who are trying to hard to "succeed" (whatever that may be in a mind) its easy to forget to have fun! (that makes me sound old but i reckon bands split up because they forget this)

(SIDE NOTE:

I think the needles album is awesome, if i was them id be happy with that alone let alone everything else they did. Theres not a bad track on it,)