aberdeen-music

Anyone got any old comics or graphic novels?

Kaizen

Really enjoy things like Preacher, Watchmen, V for Vendetta, 30 days of night, Kick Ass etc. but am litterally running out of money... Im a student and I'm poor. Can't afford to buy any more so hand me downs for cheap or free would be lovely to quench my thirst, ta!

P.S while I'm at it, I've recently finished the second book of 30 days of night and cant afford the next 1. If anyones read it, can they PLEASE tell me what happens to Stella after the end of the second book... It's doing my nut in...

Cheers!

Wheres the central library about (dont say central...)? I've not lived here long and i pretty much know the way from my flat to uni to union st... I'll check it out after I've finished 30 days of night. 7 more books... 12 each, 84 D=

acht... stupid money.

It's next door to His Majesty's Theatre, just up from Robert Gordons.

Plan 9 usually have some cheap back issues I find.

I had tons of back issues that I gave away a few months ago. I do wonder where comics disappear to because you hardly ever see them in charity shops (or when you do they are often overpriced, especially in Oxfam)/car boot sales and I'm not everyone holds on to their collections and you dont exactly get a good price for them on ebay

I had tons of back issues that I gave away a few months ago. I do wonder where comics disappear to because you hardly ever see them in charity shops (or when you do they are often overpriced, especially in Oxfam)/car boot sales and I'm not everyone holds on to their collections and you dont exactly get a good price for them on ebay

An unemployed friend of mine trawls the secondhand/charity shops every couple of days for comics, he's probably got 'em all....

TPB and the hardcovers can be quite expensive - investigate if hunting down the issues is cheaper ;) Especially if you get to some of the sales on back issues at Asylum. I've spent and saved stupid amounts of money in that place!

Asylum is good for back issues, but I wouldn't exactly say they were cheap.

Mike Carey is doing a signing there on Saturday though, get in!

Seriously?! How could something like that slip past my radar?! I should prob start reading the newsletter.

And I agree, but sometimes Mike does a back issue sale which can be up to 50% off, which is pretty badass! I think that's only like once or twice a year though.

Also, try eBay - sometimes you can get entire runs being sold for decent prices. I missed out on Ennis' Punisher Max for about 30. I was gutted - if I had more money at the time those babies would've be mine!

I mean the ongoing series, issues 1 - 48 I think it was. Might of been missing an issue or two here of there, but it was almost all there. I think Hurwitz is doing an alright job following up Ennis though - it's not ground-breaking or anything, but it's solid.

Aye, Warzone or something? That's going on my pull list, no doubts.

Sweet!

I've a few old comics that I'll sell off one of these days (stuff like Gorgo, Konga etc), and even some cheap wartime comics that I got for 6d each as a nipper from a second-hand comics shop that used to be in John Street many decades ago (I was looking at some of these a couple of nights ago, and noticed I'd defaced them by scrawling my 'autograph' on them in biro!). Wish I'd kept my Batman, Flash and Green Lantern ones :(

....and even some cheap wartime comics that I got for 6d each as a nipper from a second-hand comics shop that used to be in John Street many decades ago

Funnily enough, just finished Ennis' re-visitation of Battler Briton, his take on war comics. Wasn't expecting much, but it was awesome.

"Nothing improves improves morale like a crack at the Hun" Ace.

In a similiar vein, Warren Ellis' 'Ministry of Space' was excellent - an alternative reality story based on the premise that post-War Britain gets to the Nazi V2 Rocket scientists before the yanks, and hence get into space first; driven by a high-ranking pilot in charge of the Ministry, who is insane. Great stuff:

"...and I want the cabin reinforced and presurised! Iam am not going into space wrapped in tin foil, I'm an English Airman and I want to wear my bloody jacket and sit in a decent leather chair!"

Got both books outta the library. The library is the fucking bomb!

Ha...sounds good...might just investigate the library today. While I did used to very occasionally buy a Commando comic when I was a youngster, these that I've kept are like cheap UK & Canadian versions of Action Comics...one has a cover of a superhero swooping down on (very badly drawn) nazi trucks, but the actula story isn't inside the comic...just fairly cute (but anti-nazi) cartoons. Even as a primary school kid I realised they were 'different' enough to hang onto.

I've got an even sadder collection of old kids annuals, going back to the early years of last century.