aberdeen-music

Boston (the city not the band)...anyone been?

saf-one

Im off to Boston for a few days soon but have no clue what to expect.

And there aint any decent guides on the place...well none that I can find.

Anyone on here been before?

Any advice on where and what to check oot?

Bar & Clubs etc?

Cheers

-

This is going to be completely un-helpful but i've been to Boston a couple of times on short trips. I absolutely love the city but it's quite weird because i don't think its touristy or anything. Just a really cool city.

Sorry for being no help whatsoever but i hope you have a good time. I'm well jealous.

PS. I think Alan Cynic might know a bit more about it. I'm sure he's played over there a couple of times.

Yep....played a couple of times...once at 'Axis' (used to be the Boston Tea Party, where the VU played), but I think it's mostly a club/disco place. I also played a wee bit out of Boston, in Somerville (it's not far) at a great wee place called PA's Lounge, which often has good bands on (despite me playing there). P.A.'s Lounge

I didn't get there, but I'm told that the Middle East (just over the river in Cambridge....you can walk it) is a good place for live stuff. I think there are loads of very cool clubs/small venues, but I was too uncool to go (plus I had my son with me one time).

Plenty of touristy things to do that are fun...I heard a great busker on Boston Common, there are 'swan boats' for kids in summer, plus 'ducks' (those amphibious war truck thingies..DUKWs), although I think they might be summer only. You can visit the Tea Party ship (repro though), There are decent art galleries...the 2 I liked were the Isabella Stewart Gardiner museum (might've got the name wrong, but similar) and the Fogg Museum in Cambridge. If you like graveyards (and who doesn't!!!) there are some very old ones with famous names right in the centre. If you do the Freedom Trail' walk you'll find them.

Harvard Square, also in Cambridge, is great to wander round...loads of unusual places/people to see.

Newbury Street is the place for interesting wee shops (good comic shops, record shops, ice-cream places, cafes etc, although I think my favourite record shop, 'Mystery Train' might now be closed).

The underground is easy to use, too.

You should enjoy yourself, no problem!

I went to Boston in February this year for a week, its such a pretty and old city, they do 'trolley tours' around the whole city which you can buy tickets from at certain bus stops, but I just asked at the hotel I was staying in and they set it up for me, you can get on and off the tram when ever you like. Its a guide of all the historical parts, and they give a commentary all the way, which was quite funny!

I want to go back, It so nice to visit somewhere were everyone is friendly, polite and have manors!

Thanks chaps.

Appreciate the tips (some more than others ; )

I'll be rockin my kilt on one of the nights over there so I'm sure there'll be pleantly of

"Oh my Gawd...Are you frum Scotchlaaand?!!...I'm half Scottish... my great, grand Daddy went to Edinboro once".

Cant wait.

Oh, forgot to ask the most important question of them all!

How much is a pint roughly?

:up:

-

Boston is a lovely city, really friendly place with some cool neighbourhoods. I'd like to have saw more of it but what I did see was great. There is a chain of indie stores around New England called Newbury Comics which are record shops and comic shops in one with loads of other good stuff. I also went to a venue called Harpers Ferry which was a 15 mins train ride from city centre and they have tons of good bands on.

Cambridge is not far where everything is good there it seems, I particuarly liked the pub John Harvard

Salem is only half an hour bus ride and a great touristy day out...check out the Salem Beer Works there too for some awesome ales!

I also like Boston, Lincolnshire's Indian Queen.

my boyfriend was in boston this summer and couldn't find anywhere that sold boston beans! it's one of his favourite dishes so he was totally disappointed!

I was taken by some Boston folk to where they reckon served the best BBBs in Boston....trouble is I can't remember the name of the place. It was very wooden, and had, I think a 'steak' theme (seem to remember lots of bulls heads about the place)...I've a feeling it was near the river.

I know very little about baseball...is the season only during Summer/Autumn? Otherwise a visit to Fenway Park would be interesting.

I know very little about baseball...is the season only during Summer/Autumn? Otherwise a visit to Fenway Park would be interesting.

I did that when i was over a couple of years ago. Was a really good day out but i quite enjoy the baseball. Can imagine for a non-fan it could drag a bit as the games tend to last roughly 3 hours. Best to try and sort tickets before you go as Fenway generally sells out every game.

The Sox got hammered when i went.

I was taken by some Boston folk to where they reckon served the best BBBs in Boston....trouble is I can't remember the name of the place. It was very wooden, and had, I think a 'steak' theme (seem to remember lots of bulls heads about the place)...I've a feeling it was near the river.

It's March to October. The NBA season has just started and Boston Celtics are defending champs tho

• 5 months later...

I can't remember where I stayed but it was a hostel and probably the creepiest place I've ever seen. Loads of scary portraits on the wall, no air conditioning and someone that reminded me of Norman Bates. Very cheap but if you read any reviews that sound like that, avoid (although the area was nice).