aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Lester Burnham

The latest and greatest from the pre-budget report

BBC NEWS | Business | Q&A: The PBR and you

How do you fare?

I've worked out that for me the increase in national insurance wipes out the 2p tax break - and a little more - that I got a few months back.

Overall: worse off

Yay!

(though the NI increase doesn't kick in until 2011, so I can keep my 118 p/a until then)

Fucking 5 large worse off by 2011?

Labour commie bastards.

Fuck off Alastair Darling...you cunt!

Well I don't think I'll be going on a huge spending spree thanks to a 2.5p reduction in VAT. VAT doesn't apply to food so I won't even see much of a reduction when go and do my weekly shop.

They should really be putting some pressure on the fucking energy companies who were quick enough to bring in ridiculous price hikes earlier in the year when oil was high, but now seem to be waiting until the Spring to take prices back down, after everybody's paid a hefty winter fuel bill. :down:

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
Well I don't think I'll be going on a huge spending spree thanks to a 2.5p reduction in VAT. VAT doesn't apply to food so I won't even see much of a reduction when go and do my weekly shop.

They should really be putting some pressure on the fucking energy companies who were quick enough to bring in ridiculous price hikes earlier in the year when oil was high, but now seem to be waiting until the Spring to take prices back down, after everybody's paid a hefty winter fuel bill. :down:

Crude is well under half the price it was in March/April but it still costs me a fucking fortune to run my car :down:

Crude is well under half the price it was in March/April but it still costs me a fucking fortune to run my car :down:

Yeah, a lot of that is tax however, and although I'm glad petrol has come down I do think that the one advantage of it hitting the likes of 1.15 a litre was that it led to people thinking about their consumption more and only using the car if absolutely necessary, which was a good thing.

But everybody needs to heat their house. Loads of bills are going to land on people's matts in March that folk just can't afford to pay, meanwhile Scottish Power/EON etc make multi-million pound profits. :down:

The government should have said "Reduce your prices NOW or face a massive windfall tax".

Yeah, a lot of that is tax however, and although I'm glad petrol has come down I do think that the one advantage of it hitting the likes of 1.15 a litre was that it led to people thinking about their consumption more and only using the car if absolutely necessary, which was a good thing.

But everybody needs to heat their house. Loads of bills are going to land on people's matts in March that folk just can't afford to pay, meanwhile Scottish Power/EON etc make multi-million pound profits. :down:

The government should have said "Reduce your prices NOW or face a massive windfall tax".

Yeah, I do agree. My problem is I work about 30 miles away from where my fiancee works. If I was to work out that direction, I'd earn FAR less money. She's a teacher, and you have to take what job is going pretty much, she's just lucky to have a permanent job as a primary school teacher. So one of us has to make the very long journey to work, so we moved out of the city and I now have a 60 mile round trip to work every day!! My car unfortunately needs fuel to run!!

Yeah, I do agree. My problem is I work about 30 miles away from where my fiancee works. If I was to work out that direction, I'd earn FAR less money. She's a teacher, and you have to take what job is going pretty much, she's just lucky to have a permanent job as a primary school teacher. So one of us has to make the very long journey to work, so we moved out of the city and I now have a 60 mile round trip to work every day!! My car unfortunately needs fuel to run!!

Yeah, I know. Some people do genuinely need to use their car, especially in the country where public transport is so crap. But for a lot of people it was a wake up call, hopefully people will retain the same mindset now the price has gone down.

Yeah, I know. Some people do genuinely need to use their car, especially in the country where public transport is so crap. But for a lot of people it was a wake up call, hopefully people will retain the same mindset now the price has gone down.

No chance to be honest! Well, maybe some people, but I suspect that folk will go "woo hoo, diesel is under a quid a litre, I'm going to drive to London and back, just because I can..." etc etc

The public transport issue really grates with me. Where I live, it is physically impossible to even go to the nearest village and get to and from Aberdeen for a full day's work using public transport. If you go to the next village up, you can, but it's bloody expensive! The public transport in Aberdeen itself seems affa dear as well :down:

I do admit that I'm not much worse off come 2011 (pretty negligible amount actually) but I can't help but feel that the big stink of "yay! you're all richer, go out and spend money!" thing is somewhat unfounded.

Let's face it, the VAT cut isn't exactly going to make a huge impact on the average household.

Don't get me started on fuel prices. I just paid a 475 stinking electricity bill.

No chance to be honest! Well, maybe some people, but I suspect that folk will go "woo hoo, diesel is under a quid a litre, I'm going to drive to London and back, just because I can..." etc etc

The public transport issue really grates with me. Where I live, it is physically impossible to even go to the nearest village and get to and from Aberdeen for a full day's work using public transport. If you go to the next village up, you can, but it's bloody expensive! The public transport in Aberdeen itself seems affa dear as well :down:

Public transport around here is abysmal. From my parents house (if you didn't have a car, and it's roughly 20 miles to Aberdeen) it'd cost you the glorious sum of around 35 a day using public transport.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to use a free chartered bus that my company puts on. However, if I didn't use it I'd be paying 4 a day for the pleasure of nipping from Holburn street to Altens. Pretty shocking considering First receive a fuel subsidy from the council that's taken from the local Council Tax.

Public transport around here is abysmal. From my parents house (if you didn't have a car, and it's roughly 20 miles to Aberdeen) it'd cost you the glorious sum of around 35 a day using public transport.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to use a free chartered bus that my company puts on. However, if I didn't use it I'd be paying 4 a day for the pleasure of nipping from Holburn street to Altens. Pretty shocking considering First receive a fuel subsidy from the council that's taken from the local Council Tax.

Stop, or you'll send me into a flying rage. I don't want to get locked up at the taxpayers expense...:swearing:

Stop, or you'll send me into a flying rage. I don't want to get locked up at the taxpayers expense...:swearing:

I'm so angry I got my words mixed up.........

EDIT: Send me flying into a rage

(Although I like the sound of a flying rage, sounds somehow angrier)

where do your folks stay? i find it hard to believe it would cost 35 a day to travel by public transport to dundee and back let alone ellon.

it's roughly 7 for a return on the bus to banchory which is 18 miles out of aberdeen, 6 for a return to stonehaven on the train which is about the same again distance wise. do you charter a plane from your folks house?

Pretty shocking considering First receive a fuel subsidy from the council that's taken from the local Council Tax.

Nah, other than a very small number of routes that are subsidised because they aren't "commercially viable", the council doesn't subsidise First.

The main problem is a lack of competiton, here in Edinburgh there is competition between First and Lothian, and as a result the Lothian service is very reasonably priced ad reliable. :up:

I'm sure in Aberdeen First and Stagecoach have agreed a stitch up so they won't step on each other's toes and can therefore charge what they want. :down:

I'm ambivalent to the whole thing. It doesn't look like it will benefit me at all and won't start causing me problems until 2011.

Minor niggle with the fact that i now have to spend most of the day Sunday re-pricing EVERYTHING! in my department :swearing:

where do your folks stay? i find it hard to believe it would cost 35 a day to travel by public transport to dundee and back let alone ellon.

it's roughly 7 for a return on the bus to banchory which is 18 miles out of aberdeen, 6 for a return to stonehaven on the train which is about the same again distance wise. do you charter a plane from your folks house?

It wouldn't cost me 35 a day, it's just nigh on impossible to get a bus at a suitable time. I live beside New Deer, the bus service is almost non-existent to Aberdeen. If I go to Mintlaw which is about an 8 mile drive, I can get buses every hour. A return would be about 9 I think, but would also add a good 30 minutes to my journey in and the same out again. If I go to my next nearest village (Strichen) which is about 4 miles from where I live, the bus times are really unsuitable, and a return is at least 10, plus it would add that extra journey time. It just isn't feasible. Driving is cheaper and more convenient!

If I actually lived in one of these places rather than in the country I would consider taking the bus some of the time because I do believe more people should use public transport, but the public transport needs to be much better and cheaper. The other thing is I work in the city centre, but if I was out in Altens or Dyce for example, I would need to add another 30 minutes or so whilst I caught another bus, plus a few extra quid per day on bus fares. It would end up taking me at least 2 hours to get to and from work every day, and costing about 14-15 which really isn't cool.

Ythanbank. Bus service is didly squat (well, there's one bus incredibly expensive a day - I think it's around 8 for a single to Aberdeen - at around lunch time... not much use for anything really).

Calculation is thus:

12 taxi to Ellon

3.50 bus each way (as you can't get a cheap return before 9am with stagecoach).

2 bus to the office

And the same all the way home. With waiting times it also takes about triple the time it takes in car.

The council tax is fairly hefty out there too. Pretty brutal considering they barely get a their roads gritted, there's basically no public transport and they get their bins emptied once a fortnight. My parents choose to live there so don't really have an issue with it, but a car is almost certainly essential.

I realise that listing a taxi is perhaps a bit cheeky but it's 4-5 miles to the nearest village/town with a bus route. I actually used to regularly walk into Ellon to get the bus if the weather permitted (took around an hour and a half to get to the town centre). I only grabbed a taxi if it was freezing outside.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Fucking 5 large worse off by 2011?

Labour commie bastards.

Fuck off Alastair Darling...you cunt!

you make more than 200 grand a year?!

fancy buying me something...a new car perhaps?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

I don't know what your car runs on, but I filled up for 89.9p a litre the other day...compared to easily 116p+ a litre 6 months ago. Therefore any running costs which have remained high are due your insurance, cost of car parts or reliability, which are unrelated to the price of crude oil.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

i don't really understand the chart but my salary lands on a plus, and I'd be surprised if more than .5% of this forum's readership doesn't...

i don't really understand the chart but my salary lands on a plus, and I'd be surprised if more than .5% of this forum's readership doesn't...

Yeah, that's the tax... then take 0.5% of your salary away for the NI increase. You'll find that it'll cancel out the plus you had.

I don't know what your car runs on, but I filled up for 89.9p a litre the other day...compared to easily 116p+ a litre 6 months ago. Therefore any running costs which have remained high are due your insurance, cost of car parts or reliability, which are unrelated to the price of crude oil.

I'm on diesel. It was over 120 per litre and has dropped down to 104.9 but this drop is nothing compared to the drop in the price of crude oil.

I'm no economist nor do I know exactly how fuel prices work, but on a quick google search, I've found that the lowest petrol price per litre in the last couple of years was February 2007, when the price per litre was down at 85p. The crude oil price at that time was $57-58 a barrel. It's currently sitting at just over $50 per barrel (the lowest since at least March 2006), and the unleaded fuel price is still 90p per litre. Diesel prices should at least be below 1 per litre by now, and petrol should be creeping down to the 80p per litre mark I would have thought. :up:

Think I read somewhere that diesel is more expensive, and is likely to get more so, due to increased demand from more people switching to diesel cars.

Think I read somewhere that diesel is more expensive, and is likely to get more so, due to increased demand from more people switching to diesel cars.

Having said that Diesel is less expensive to make.