aberdeen-music

Dananananaykroyd + Copy Haho

Soda Jerk

Well, they're from Glasgow, and it's three times the size of Aberdeen...

Dundee date was slightly busier though not by too much. Though it was 14+, and there was no snow.

Uh huh, i know Glasgow is a little bit bigger than Aberdeen but i still think the turnout was disappointing taking into account ALL FACTORS; where they're from/ the snow/the size of the city/if it was 14+/ everything else.

Uh huh, i know Glasgow is a little bit bigger than Aberdeen but i still think the turnout was disappointing taking into account ALL FACTORS; where they're from/ the snow/the size of the city/if it was 14+/ everything else.

Obviously turnout could have been better, but I think you'd have to have too high expectations to think it'd be 'much busier.'

DANANANA....

i think the attendance was around 80 plus for the actual band.

half that for copy ha ho.

then about 40 plus came in at 1am during the last few songs for the clubnight who drank at the bar as the band finished.

our final attendance for the night was 254.

so it was a quiet night in general (we normally hit 300 minumum- 400 or 500 on a standard night - sometimes more)

its unfortunate but i thould it would have better attendance also.

still the main thing is the folk who did go enoyed and the folk who didnt well i guess they missed out.

interestingly...

the guest list was like 60 plus and the AIS/back room regulars on normal list had a 4 entry price.

less then half turned up on the guestlist so even those down for free didnt all come down!

this would suggest the weather was a factor

i also heard a few grumblings about stage time being too late and the 18 plus thing but thats how clubnight gigs go i suppose.

also, you had a lot of folk going to the sold out Digitalism show@ snaffers on Sunday (not same music / but same clubnight crowd) .

We had 300 folk at our Lemon Tree show Friday who were all hammered and normally out Moshulu Saturday. We were happy with that but it was definitely affected by weather.

And DHC was busy Thursday too.

I dont know about other events but from my weekly event schedule I reckon some people may have been out too much already this week!

FO THOSE WHO CAME AND ENJOYED THE DISCO/ BANDS...OR WOULD BE BACK ON FUTURE EVENTS..- JOIN THE GUEST LIST.

(to join the guest list email me - well be doing a lot more clubnight shows and it gets you free entry to AIS every week and reduced entry to special guest nights - only on in house events mind - steven.milne@barflyclub.com

AS FOR TTNG......

Similarly to Fight Like Apes / The X Certs tomorrow this show is maybe not best suited to the Front Room of Moshulu.

TTNG - It has an expected less than 100 attendance and should maybe be in a smaller venue.Unless they jump up a heap in two months!

As someone said its a barfly tour so its in barfly venues and that isnt ideal sometimes but at least they are coming here. It can be so hard convinving the powers that be (agents etc) that we should get these shows and that they dont leapfrog us and every so often they listen and often they dont even reply!

So in a way we should all spread the word and tell all our pals to come down!

We are Aberdeen after all not London or Glasgow and gig attendance is a different game here - as youve said.

So i cant say too much on here but i do feel your pain, ill also be the one to get it in the neck when it only pulls 57 people!

I read all the feedback on here (as much as possible) and i will maybe see if we can do this in the back room or change the front rooms layout slightly to accomodate but ive probably already said too much. Ive made suggestions for the venue recently to accomodate all kinds of shows so well see what happens....

Guest idol_wild
Yah, i didn't see any posters or anything in uni. Hmmm.

Out of genuine interest, where at the uni is good/acceptable to put up posters and to perhaps leave some flyers? It's an avenue I need to go down for sure.

PS. Did you enjoy the gig? It's hard to tell from your review.

I don't enjoy most things. I hate fun.

Ha, it was good yeah. The stale venue kind of ruined the atmosphere. Dana seem like a kind of band that work well with a responsive atmosphere - Crowd participation and all that. None of the flaws were any fault of the band but more the venue/turnout (stadium rock sounding drums, for example).

The review was written for my friends zine. He asked me to be funny. I'm not a funny guy. I'm just not. Even my consistent negativity seeps through despite thinking it was a right good do.

I think the big swing for a lot of people was:

1) Late stage time

2) Hellish weather

3) Anyone who has attempted to grab some bargains for Christmas presents will be skint.

That's certainly my (poor) list of excuses. Despite being skint I'd have been more likely to attend if the bands were on at "normal gig times". The thought of leaving my house at 10pm to wait a further hour and a half before a band actually came on isn't greatly appealing. It's a perfect set up if you're out for the night though.

Maybe I'm just an old lady.

It was also the saturday before pay day for those who get paid monthly. That might have been a factor.

Still. I guess I blame the venue more than the turnout. Strange place to have it. Someone said 80 people were there for Danananana... which is a decent number if it was a smaller venue.

Out of genuine interest, where at the uni is good/acceptable to put up posters and to perhaps leave some flyers? It's an avenue I need to go down for sure.

For Aberdeen Uni, inside the Hub (our food court/coffee shop place) seems to be the best spot, there are also some glass covered flyer boards that advertise club nights but those may be for Student Union endorsed things only. There is a alley between the high street and the road the Hub is on that seems to be a poster free for all.

Note, I don't do any promo, these are just place i've noticed while going about my day.

Guest idol_wild
For Aberdeen Uni, inside the Hub (our food court/coffee shop place) seems to be the best spot, there are also some glass covered flyer boards that advertise club nights but those may be for Student Union endorsed things only. There is a alley between the high street and the road the Hub is on that seems to be a poster free for all.

Note, I don't do any promo, these are just place i've noticed while going about my day.

Excellent, thank you.

Is the Hub open on Saturdays?

Excellent, thank you.

Is the Hub open on Saturdays?

It is, aye! There aren't many places to put posters up though...! There's the second hand book shop - they'll take some for their window but they're only open weekdays till 4 (i think). You could also try the law bit at Taylor; a room with vending machines pretty much covered in adverts.

---

GRANITE RAINBOW!