aberdeen-music

Fudge Awards 2009 - a local awards ceremony, for local bands - but where?

The Ghost Of Fudge

Guest idol_wild
Am I the only person who isn't feeling the love for Copy Haho? I don't see what all the fuss is about, I find them pretty average.

To be honest - it's not like it's fuss.

It's just that the vast majority of other guitar-based bands in Aberdeen are either exceptionally average, derivitive, generic, or just not very good.

Copy Haho are above average, so they stand out.

Am I the only person who isn't feeling the love for Copy Haho? I don't see what all the fuss is about, I find them pretty average.

I seen them once - didnt really know what to think of them.....they looked like agitated young loons in their dad's clothes...!!!

Wasn't bad at all and that song i hear about "shit on a shoe" or something is pretty good.

I haven't seen them either, but none of the songs on their myspace are convincing me to go to their next gig.

Well it's convincing me - I'm going to see them at the Tunnels next month.

Disagree with comment above about Aberdeen guitar based bands being average. There's some pretty good ones on the go just now IMO.

Well it's convincing me - I'm going to see them at the Tunnels next month.

Disagree with comment above about Aberdeen guitar based bands being average. There's some pretty good ones on the go just now IMO.

All the indie bands just now sound alike to me. Not just in Aberdeen, I mean all of them. Maybe I'm just getting old. The latest flash in the pan NME cover band sound exactly the same as the last flash in the pan NME cover band, etc...

All the indie bands just now sound alike to me. Not just in Aberdeen, I mean all of them. Maybe I'm just getting old.

You think?

Copy Haho sound like Kashmir Red sound like Little Kicks sound like Headlight sound like Fivefifteen sound like Viper Lines sound like Cast of the Capital? (for example)

EDIT: I noticed your post wasn't just aimed at Aberdeen bands - point still stands though 8-)

Guest idol_wild

Fair play really. I guess it depends on personal preference.

You think?

Copy Haho sound like Kashmir Red sound like Little Kicks sound like Headlight sound like Fivefifteen sound like Viper Lines sound like Cast of the Capital? (for example)

They have a certain similarity about them (IMO) but saying that alot of the metal stuff sounds the same as x band and Y band etc. Not that much of scope for "origanal" sounds now i guess (again total imo..)

They have a certain similarity about them (IMO) but saying that alot of the metal stuff sounds the same as x band and Y band etc. Not that much of scope for "origanal" sounds now i guess (again total imo..)

There's so much music out there it's difficult to sound totally unique. I don't see a problem with sounding similar to other bands in the same genre, so long as it's good fucking tunes

I didn't vote it, but in retrospect, The Moorings is probably the most ideal place to hold the event. The attendances have dwindled, so the number of people likely to attend would look better in The Moorings than The Tunnels, Snafu, or The Lemon Tree.

Plus, it's where all the Fudge gigs are held pretty much!

Plus...ADDLESTONES!

Ironically it's likely that more people would be present (attend is too strong a word) if it was at the Moorings because there's lots of people show up regardless of what's on... but let's face it, most of them wouldn't be able to discern the Fudge Awards from a chili eating contest. Nudity would be virtually guaranteed though :up: *COUGH* which doesn't really fit the black tie template of the Fudge Awards.

Half of the Fudge gigs are at Snafu so that might be a reasonable compromise in terms of space/attendance, but only if it were available for a Saturday night.

the number of people likely to attend would look better in The Moorings than The Tunnels, Snafu, or The Lemon Tree.

As an complete aside, although it's hard to fathom (even my own eyes are deceived), in terms of space we rank 3rd on that list.

Best Rock: Copy Haho \m/

Best Newcomer: Y Change Costume or Molineux

Best Indie: Cast of the Capital

Most Missed: No Pasaran

Best International: Le Reno Amps

Best Of The Rest: Greater the Shadow or Katerwaul

Best Extreme: We Shall Be Blessed

Worst Band: Estrella

Best Solo Artist: Kitchen Cynics

no pasaran split up? wha?

i thought they were still going in edinburgh. :(

Guest idol_wild
no pasaran split up? wha?

i thought they were still going in edinburgh. :(

They have relocated, but I miss them more than any Aberdeen act ever. Apart from Golden-era Dedalus (Steven, Rob, Dave, Al - but I think they should be shifted to another category - Most Underchieving Act. I don't mean that as a diss; they just had the songs and the sounds to really achieve something).

Pasaran have started a new life in Edinburgh where people actually go to their gigs.

They have relocated, but I miss them more than any Aberdeen act ever. Apart from Golden-era Dedalus (Steven, Rob, Dave, Al - but I think they should be shifted to another category - Most Underchieving Act. I don't mean that as a diss; they just had the songs and the sounds to really achieve something).

Pasaran have started a new life in Edinburgh where people actually go to their gigs.

thank fuck for that then. a life without no pasaran is no life at all. or something.