aberdeen-music

Mastered by Muppets - song now up!

Dan G

MySpace.com - Clipping Death - San Francisco, California - www.myspace.com/clippingdeath

I have teamed up with several people from around the globe to collaborate on this project. The lyrics alone got such a huge response, that we decided to record it.

Vocalist was from an amazing late 80's/90s thrash band who released a bunch of albums, but wishes to remain anonymous.

please check it out and spread the word if it amuses you, it would be great if this got some notoriety.

Cheers!

Dave Mustaine?!

:up::gringo:

Not quite... although on that note Dave Mustaine does find Clipping Death funny. I was speaking to Andy Sneap a few weeks ago and he is out in Arizona recording the new Megadeth album at the moment. He showed Dave my artwork and other stuff. Apparently I "brightened his day".

True story :)

That's proper quality, I lolled heartily. Congrats you may have started the next internet phenomenon.....

(btw is the guy singing "can't SEE a thing" instead of hear? Cos that doesn't make sense)

That would be correct. :) I guess he knew the original too well so wrongly sang the right lyrics... :dunce:

there's a couple of other mistakes here and there as well, including a wrong chord at the very very end of the chorus. D'oh.

Cheers!

Recording wise... don't know how in depth you want but here you go!....:

I programmed the drums using EZdrummer Drumkit from Hell and recorded all the guitars (other than the 2 solos) at my home "studio" which is simply an iMac with a digidesign Mbox2 with protools. There's 4 tracks of rhythm guitar all through the song: the main 2 parts panned 100% left and right, and those parts are then played exactly the same again, but panned 80% left and right and a few dB lower in the mix.

I recorded the guitars using a POD XT, but took a dry line out so everytime I recorded a track of guitar, it recorded my distorted POD XT tone (for a guide, and also a rough idea of the song in context) but also a totally clean dry signal. (i'll explain this a bit later)

I sent the recorded drums and guitars to a guy from the french prog metal band Kalisia for him to play bass, a german guy to play the fast solo, and a guy from Chile to play the slow wah solo. Oh, and also to the singer to record his vocals.

They all recorded their parts in their own home or studios, and sent the parts back to me. Then I sent the whole lot to a guy who owns Spectre Sound Studio in Canada and he re-amped the guitars (basically put my totally clean guitar signal and played it back through a proper amp and mic'ed it up and recorded that), and then mixed it. I think the amp used was a 5150 into a Mesa cab which was mic'ed with a shure SM57 and a sennheiser 421.

He then sent it to a guy with a fancy studio in Germany to master it.

Essentially it was a collaboration between a bunch of folk who post on the andy sneap audio engineering forums, at ultimate-metal.com.

I got on the metal hammer website again: :)

Metal Hammer Blog Archive Blog: From The Bloke Who Brought You ‘Mastered By Muppets’…