aberdeen-music

American Football / The One Up Downstairs

Panda Strong

01510_Am._Football_019.jpg

In 2008 -- after numerous requests, the EP finally found its way onto vinyl as a one-sided 12" featuring all new photography by Chris Strong.

NOTE: THIS IS A PRE-ORDER ITEM. It will ship January 16.

You may order other items along with your pre-order, however the entire order will ship together on January 16. If you'd like other items to ship earlier, you need to place a separate order for just those items

01509_One_Up_Downstairs.jpg

For years The One Up Downstairs was discussed on messageboards and became the frequent recipient of questions sent to the Polyvinyl info e-mail account were they actually a band, did they sound like American Football, did they ever record?

The answers to all of these questions are a resounding yes. In an effort to make the songs available to fans Polyvinyl released the bands only recorded output a few years ago which led to another question would the songs ever see a proper release as a 7?

Long sought after these songs are now available as a 7 that includes a digital download code for the entire release.

NOTE: THIS IS A PRE-ORDER ITEM. It will ship January 16.

-----

Yas!!!!

One Up Downstairs says it comes with a download code. I think alot more wax releases should. Or maybe I should just stop being a sissy and buy a bleedin' record player?

I really couldn't get into the AF full length (and I really did try) except for the first song, which is rad. My tastes have changed drastically over the past 2 years so maybe I should give it another go.

One Up Downstairs I like alot though. How many tracks are gonna be on that release?

Guest idol_wild
I really couldn't get into the AF full length (and I really did try) except for the first song, which is rad. My tastes have changed drastically over the past 2 years so maybe I should give it another go.

You reeeaaaaally need to, bro. Amazing amazing amazing album.

I love the messy instrument sounds that appear as soon as you hit play before the song starts fo'real. That twinkly riff at the start of Never Meant is amazing.

I think it's Mike's non chalant vocals that drove me away from the record the first time. He doesn't sound like he's having a good time. I am all about good times.

The American Football full length is amazing, but it took me a few listens to really get into it! I also love Mike Kinsella's other project, Owen.

i remember playing "never meant" in the back room at moshulu one night when you were in drinking and you came up and asked "what is this tune? its incredible!" or something along those lines. YAS

I guess all Kinsella projects get compared in some way or another though, despite being completely different.

Owls are probably my favourite Kinsella thing, although the 2 or 3 songs I've heard by the One Up Downstairs has swayed me slightly.

Not a big fan of Owen. He makes my feelings cry. He also seemed like a bit of a dick on the City On Film tour. Even muttering phrases like "Hopefully this will be the last song so we can all go home" and "Why am I even here?" followed by a full five minutes of guitar tuning in silence. Strange man. Bob Nanna was all about the fun though. He even did a cover of Come On Eileen.

I'm finished talking.