aberdeen-music

Recording In and Around Aberdeen

sross90

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

My band have only ever recorded at two places - the Foyer and Captain Tom's.

The Foyer is cheap, but good for the price.

Captain Tom's is much more expensive, but what you get is far better. The sound engineer (Paul) really knows his stuff, and gives honest opinions which allows you to have an all round better recording at the end of it. The all round sound quality is much better as well.

Depends what you're after though really and how much money you've got to spend.

For a low cost demo to hand out for free, and to send to promoters etc, the Foyer is fine. If you're looking for something to "release" and sell on etc that is a bit more professional, then I'd recommend Captain Tom's.

There are many other places you can go though, and others will have different opinions I'm sure...!

Cheers,

Calum

:up:

Guest Tam o' Shantie

this topic has been covered a million times before, and in my opinion captain tom's recordings aren't fit for serious releases. our 7" was recorded at toms and then mixed by me over the course of many, many hours (and it still sucks)

MySpace.com - 10 Easy Wishes - Aberdeen, UK - Pop / Alternative / Zouk - www.myspace.com/10easywishes

What kind of prices do these places offer for a live recording rather than multitracking? I reckon our band could bang out our songs in half an hour at the very most. We could probably do the vocals elsewhere ourselves, so just a couple of mic's round the drums, and one infront of each amp. It's not a complex job. It's just a matter of us not having the equipment to do it ourselves.

Don't Musical Vision do it too?

What kind of prices do these places offer for a live recording rather than multitracking? I reckon our band could bang out our songs in half an hour at the very most. We could probably do the vocals elsewhere ourselves, so just a couple of mic's round the drums, and one infront of each amp. It's not a complex job. It's just a matter of us not having the equipment to do it ourselves.

Don't Musical Vision do it too?

3 hours of live recording at Captain Tom's will set you back 70

Home

Foyer appears to be 15 per hour regardless of whether your live recording or multi-tracking

Foyerlive

Cheers

Calum

15 an hour is very reasonable and not much more than we are paying to practice. Has anyone got any links to stuff recorded at the Foyer?

75 is a bit steep and I really don't think we'd need 3 hours. Do they offer anything less? like an hour and a half or something?

Dude, if you go to our myspace page:

MySpace.com - The Underkills - UK - Rock / Alternative / Indie - www.myspace.com/theunderkills

The bottom two tracks were recorded at Foyer. Tell Me Something and I think the other one is Here Is My Story (myspace doesn't work for me at work!)

The other 4 were recorded at Captain Tom's.

15 an hour is very reasonable and not much more than we are paying to practice. Has anyone got any links to stuff recorded at the Foyer?

75 is a bit steep and I really don't think we'd need 3 hours. Do they offer anything less? like an hour and a half or something?

By the time you get set up and everything and allow for false starts etc 3 hours can go by pretty quickly. As I say, the results turn out pretty good, here's some recordings we did there:

MySpace.com - Crake - Aberdeen, UK - Pop / Blues / Folk Rock - www.myspace.com/crakenest

We recorded with Mark Nicol at Exile a couple of weeks ago and I was very impressed with his set up. It costs 150 for 8 hours recording and Mark does the mixing for free. It's about half an hour's drive from Aberdeen but the difference in quality between there and Captain Toms is astronomical.

We're just waiting for the final mixes to be done, but when it is I'll upload it.

The Exile Recording Studio

MySpace.com - Exile Studio - 101 - Male - UK - www.myspace.com/exilestudio

We recorded with Mark Nicol at Exile a couple of weeks ago and I was very impressed with his set up. It costs 150 for 8 hours recording and Mark does the mixing for free. It's about half an hour's drive from Aberdeen but the difference in quality between there and Captain Toms is astronomical.

We're just waiting for the final mixes to be done, but when it is I'll upload it.

The Exile Recording Studio

MySpace.com - Exile Studio - 101 - Male - UK - www.myspace.com/exilestudio

Is that the one out beside Mintlaw??

No it's out the other direction, about 10 miles outside Banchory.

Ah, right. 150 for 8 hours is not too shabby at all. I can't listen to the tracks at work, but will definitely have a listen later on at home.

So the 3 hours will include mic'ing up the drum kit and checking levels? That's usually the longest of all the hassles of recording.

Of course it will. That is all part of the parcel or recording. You can't go into a session expecting all your instruments to be pre-set up/line checked just so you can go in and out within an hour.

Don't forget your going to need mixing time as well.

We've done the 8 hours for 120-ish deal a couple of times at Cap'n toms. Definately up to a standard fit for local release and the more you know about the recording process and the tighter your band are I imagine you could get two or three tracks sounding great in the alloted time.

We've done them both with Paul DiNero and he's a total legend. Knows his stuff and is a fair whiz on the mixing desk.

Onion Terror - Myspace 'Hangover' was from the first set, and the rest are all from the 2nd one.