aberdeen-music

Buying Les Pauls

Guest Bailz

As far as I can remember, R&B Music don't have that much of a selection when it comes to Gibsons. I'm going to be looking to add another to my collection so the obvious thing to do is go to another city to look.

Which stores, in your experience, have the largest number of Les Pauls for sale and where are they?

Cheers,

Chris

What are you looking for? I may be tempted to part with my Standard.

I'm really not sure exactly what I'm after - the reason I want a shop with a selection to spend a day in (kid in a sweetie shop type thing).

I was thinking Glasgow. Is Sound Control in Dundee officially defunct now?

I'm really not sure exactly what I'm after - the reason I want a shop with a selection to spend a day in (kid in a sweetie shop type thing).

I was thinking Glasgow. Is Sound Control in Dundee officially defunct now?

Was in what used to be Sound Control in Edinburgh the other day, it's called something else now but still open. Only a couple of Les Pauls though.

Hey Up,

Yes - Gibson, like Fender have taken back all distribution under their own banner. Then they have imposed ludicrous stock holding requirements and minimum order levels - thus making it pretty well impossible for any small independant to stock their gear.

I believe that the lad at Elgin - Sound & Vision used to have a bit of a selection, but can't vouch for current stock levels.

At my shop - Rockapotamus Music in Inverurie, I have one Les Paul Studio remaining. I've actually bundled in an Ashton valve amp with it aswell, but of course you can still purchase the guitar separately. Feel free to come in and have a go - even if it's to eliminate a studio from your list.

Cheers,

Jim.

Guitar Guitar in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Newcastle have a fair stock.

I just sold one of mine last night as well!

Yeah, I just checked out their website. One or two models I'd quite like to try so it looks like a trip to Glasgow!

Contrary to one of the above posts, Kenny's in Dundee currently has quite a good and varied Gibson selection in. In fact, anything they don't have will be hard to come by (new anyway) in a hurry as Gibson's distribution system for the UK is very much still in it's infancy, and they simply don't have the necessary stock available to meet demand, even for their main dealers (like Kenny's).

• 2 months later...

42% of all shop stock was too much to take on when there isn't enough want from them just now because too many people resort to internet purchase.

I'll never buy a Gibson without playing it first - got Rosetti (previous distributors) to send me up 2 Zakk Wylde Les Paul Customs and they were nothing alike. Neck shape, finish colour, tone, fret edging, weight. They were nothing alike (I know they won't be anyway though).

:)

42% of all shop stock was too much to take on when there isn't enough want from them just now because too many people resort to internet purchase.

I'll never buy a Gibson without playing it first - got Rosetti (previous distributors) to send me up 2 Zakk Wylde Les Paul Customs and they were nothing alike. Neck shape, finish colour, tone, fret edging, weight. They were nothing alike (I know they won't be anyway though).

Can't agree more. The white one that I came home with was the stand out model. Tried another Custom (Wine Red) which sounded too bright and seemed to lack sustain. A white Supreme that felt like a tree trunk and lacked sustain too. Tried a few other Standards Santa Fe and also a Heritage Sunburst Custom but I kept coming back to the White Custom. Really big and chunky sound and feel. I guess that's cool only if it's your thing though :D

Thanks. As far as I'm aware it's new although I tried another Custom that just had normal caps in it(possibly the reason it sounded so bright). This one had a label on it stating "Bumblebee equipped" which makes me think it was new.

Same here. I purchased one a year ago on the net from GAK and it wasn't very good condition when it arrived. It was tarnished already and just didn't look or feel nice. Needless to say it went back to them. Learned a lesson that day. I would easily buy amps or pedals on the net but when it comes to a guitar you really need to try before you buy.