aberdeen-music

Brewdog WINS!!

framheim

As the website says...

The 20% lifetime discount also drastically reduces the notional value of 25m. If you buy a case of beer per month (at a cost of 30) you will have made your entire investment back in 3 years, a 100% return

Right enough sire. :up: I was planning to cut back on the boozing over the next wee while though, nae get worse, haha....

(I only say it's a bit high because it is such a volatile market which could have its bollocks cut off by the government and suchike at any point...)

:up:

Concerning the shares, I have to wonder... if the stock market crashes again, what happens to the shares of a public company involved in the production of alcohol related goods?

It could be a good contrarian investment :up:

I think the majority of people who buy in will be doing it for the discount and the honour (wrong word perhaps ?() rather than as an investment opp.

I would go for it, but 230 quid out of my current budget is a hell of a hit just now.....

Guest Gladstone

Come on. The 18% beer costs 10 a bottle. I bought 24 Tennents in the supermarket the other night for 10. Surely anyone of sound mind can see that there's nothing irresponsible about Brew Dog. Their beers are generally more expensive than your other "generic" beers like Tennents, Fosters, etc. The kids out there getting smashed of a weekend won't go near Brew Dog because it costs so much. They might buy a beer for 10 and drink it. But is drinking one very strong beer worse than drinking 24 average strength beers? I don't think so. When I was far too young to drink I once bought a half bottle of vodka for about a fiver, and drank it, and puked myself to sleep. Had I spent twice as much, I'd have got a beer with twice as much quantity, but half the alcohol level, and probably wouldn't have been as messed up. 2 or 3 Carlsberg Special Brews for probably something like half the price would be worse for you than 1 of the Brew Dog Tokyo beers.

This misconception is pissing me off no end.

• Upvote 1

The kids out there getting smashed of a weekend won't go near Brew Dog because it costs so much.

But surely it's not just kids who abuse alcohol. 18% beer is irresponsible because it contradicts regular, understood criteria concerning the word 'beer'. It's confusing, and encourages people to drink on the basis of alcohol content.

Guest Gladstone
But surely it's not just kids who abuse alcohol. 18% beer is irresponsible because it contradicts regular, understood criteria concerning the word 'beer'. It's confusing, and encourages people to drink on the basis of alcohol content.

But it's 10 a bottle!!!!

Jesus. Nobody is going to pick it up and go "fucking right I'm having this it's 18%. I'm going to get smashed!!"

They'd just buy a bottle of vodka for the same price.

Similarly, they're not going to go "this looks like a nice beer, it's only 10 a bottle". Then a couple of hours later having drank their one bottle of beer go "Jesus fuck, I'm shteemin' how did that happen?"

Look at the bigger picture. Anyone out there drinking alcohol for the sole purpose of getting smashed or abusing alcohol is not going to go near a higher priced beer like Brew Dog.

Guest Gladstone
Yeah, it's ok. But if that's all you want to judge it on why do we have a gushing twelve page thread?

Two local guys out of nowhere started a brewery and did well. They've upset the major brewers in the country, and have got nationwide recognition for a very successful business venture.

Pat on the back well deserved.

And their beer tastes good.

I'm still waiting on the completion of my extensive market research. Apologies.

Ok, back to the original point:

The association of alcohol with music, ideas and rebellion is a see-through, cringeworthy marketing tac which appears to be working rather nicely indeed for a couple of businessmen in Fraserburgh. It's no different from the association of Coca-cola with christmas or Nike with sport. By grappling hold of 'values', companies can transform base products into more than which they are, the best example being Coke, which is really just brown sugary water. By the same token, Brewdog beer is just like any other beer, but through clever marketing they've managed to work themselves onto a warped ethical high ground and capture the imagination of an 'alternative' group of consumers, which in turn begins to perceive the beer as something more than what it is. Perception is everything.

It's called branding, and everyone here seems to be supping it up fairly happily. I was just wondering what you thought about it? I mean, are people here happy to let marketing take its course on them?

Our beers are in no way commercial or mainstream.

We do not merely aspire to the proclaimed heady heights of conformity through neutrality and blandness.

We are unique and individual

A beacon of non-conformity in a increasingly monotone corporate desert.

We are proud to be an intrepid David in a desperate ocean of insipid Goliaths.

We are proud to be an alternative.

Fuck off and get me a Trade Winds.