aberdeen-music

Music to run by.....

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

When i run on my treadmill in Aberdeen i tend to watch DVDs as we have a TV right by the treadmill. Have watched a selection of The Office, Seinfeld and Friday Night Lights. When running in Glasgow i do a circuit along the Clyde. Don't run to music though, just the sounds of the weege.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...
Guest Gladstone

Thought I'd resurrect my old thread...

Started my training for Edinburgh marathon next year this morning. Hit shuffle on the ipod, and the following helped me through an hour on the treadmill:

Friendly Fires - Paris

Supergrass - Strange Ones

Razorlight - Hold On

The Beatles - Day Tripper

Elbow - Ribcage

The Clash - I Fought The Law

INXS - Never Tear Us Apart

Kasabian - Running Battle

Pink Floyd - Eclipse

KT Tunstall - The Prayer (Didn't even know this was on my Ipod - it's from a live lounge album, and is quite shit!)

Manics - Send Away The Tigers

Feeder - Lost & Found

Queen - We Are The Champions

Pigeon Detectives - Wait For Me

The Fratellis - All Along The Watchtower (another live lounge track - has anyone heard this? It's pretty fucking good)

Cast of the Capital - An Organ's Pledge

Embrace - You're Not Alone

I really need to make a running playlist. Most of these were okay to run to, but the obvious ones that weren't particularly inspiring were Pink Floyd, KT Tunstall and Elbow. By far and away the best (for running) were Clash and Feeder. I'm going to sit down with itunes and make up a playlist this weekend.

Guest Gladstone

When I was about 18 I used to listen to nothing but 2pac's greatest hits when on the exercise bike. Can't remember the reason - probably just because I listened to that album a LOT back then...

Guest Gladstone

Another hour on the treadmill this morning, another set of random "shuffle" tunes...

JJ72 - Bumble Bee

David Bowie - Space Oddity

The Beatles - Eleanor Rigby

The Beatles - Something

Manics - ifwhiteamericatoldtheturthforonedayit'sworldwouldfallapart

Yvonne-Marie Evans and the YME's - Fallin

Charlatans - Forever

Richard Ashcroft - New York

Paul Weller - Hung Up

Green Day - In The End

Kasabian - Processed Beats

Space - Dark Clouds (Fuck me - remember them??)

Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc.

The Libertines - The Man Who Would Be King

Friendly Fires - Jump In The Pool

Doves - Where We're Calling From

You Can't Eat The Word Food - This Friendly Fire

Quite a few slower ones in there, but I'm getting into just letting whatever the music is take my mind off the fact I'm running. I treat it as listening to music for an hour, and I just happen to be running at the same time...

Guest Gladstone

I'm at Nuffield (ex-Cannons). My membership is off-peak for about 42 per month. My work subsidises 50% so I get it for 21 which is ace. :up:

Off-peak is no use if you want to go after work though. I only go in the mornings before work so it suits me fine. But, off-peak does include weekends as well (I think). Think it's basically anytime except between 6pm and closing time Monday-Friday.

I've a feeling the peak membership is about 60 per month.

Guest Gladstone

I've heard JJB is about as cheap as you'll get in Aberdeen. But when I was joining a gym, I wanted somewhere I could walk to work from, so Cannons was the only option. Plus I imagine JJB to be really really busy all the time for some reason...?

Guest Gladstone
Ran to work this morning and listened to Slayer - God Hates Us All. Knocked 3 Minutes off my best time. Think tomorrow I might go for Hummingbird of Death or maybe Black Eye Riot.

It's an ace feeling knocking time off a PB... and 3 minutes. Nice one. :up:

Guest Gladstone
I would hope it's cheap. Spending money to run for an hour is a bit daft. o_O

I usually run before it gets light, and I live in the middle of nowhere so running on the road is just plain dangerous.

Plus I make good use of the swimming pool. If all I ever did was run, I wouldn't have joined a gym, but the pool is the main reason I'm a member.

I thought I would give this a bash during my "excercise" at lunchtime which means after I finish my lunch, I sit on a sofa at work and drink a can of fizzy lovelyness and eat crisps while reading some crappy tabloid. Today I decided to catalogue what cropped up on my ipod while I "worked out":

Pantera : Walk

Iron Maiden : Charlotte The Harlot

Megadeth : Sweating Bullets

Municipal Waste : Relentless Threat

McQueen : Break The Silence

Ozzy Osbourne : No More Tears

Rammstein : Keine Lust

Sanctity : The Rift Between

Serpico : Kultura

Sevendust : Praise

Skeletonwitch : Stand Fight And Die

L7 : Wargasm

Mammal : Burn Out

Heavens Basement : Executioners Day

Five Finger Death Punch : Bulletproof

Nightwish : Planet Hell

Soho Dolls : Stripper

So all in all good solid work out music, got me up a fair old sweat!

• 5 months later...
Guest Gladstone

After reading Marie-Claire's thread earlier, I actually just re-read this thread and discovered that I was training for the Edinburgh Marathon as early as October.

Since then, I've got gradually less fit...

Luckily I missed the deadline for entering the marathon, and have had to opt for the half marathon. I really need to start training again very soon. The crappy weather over the past 3 months or so has really scuppered my plans.

The proper training starts this week though. I did run the Garioch 10k last month with absolutely no training, so I'm pretty sure I can blag my way round pretty much any distance, but my time will just be shit...

I did finally get round to making up a playlist on my ipod specifically designed for running - that helped me round the Garioch 10k. Most things by Kasabian seem to be pretty good for running - solid pounding repetitive beat.