aberdeen-music

Music to run by.....

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm now doing the Balmoral 5K on Saturday as a practice for Baker Hughes in a month. Is it really steep? Keep hearing it's all uphill or something o_O

Looking at the route map on runbalmoral the hill seems to be around 4k into the 10k route. I've heard mixed things about it but it doesn't seem too bad on the map.

MapMyRun.com | View Balmoral 10K in Balmoral, United Kingdom

My training's been destroyed by a rib injury so my only goal now is to hope it's a nice day, relax and enjoy the run.

Anyone received their race pack yet?

Guest Gladstone
Looking at the route map on runbalmoral the hill seems to be around 4k into the 10k route. I've heard mixed things about it but it doesn't seem too bad on the map.

MapMyRun.com | View Balmoral 10K in Balmoral, United Kingdom

My training's been destroyed by a rib injury so my only goal now is to hope it's a nice day, relax and enjoy the run.

Anyone received their race pack yet?

There are a few of us doing the run on Saturday, and none of us have received the race pack yet!

I've heard the hill is an absolute killer, and it's apparently right at the beginning - maybe they've changed the course this year?

4k in is far worse than right at the start!! I always start to fade in the middle section of a 10k and get a new lease of life at about 7k. So a cunt of a hill smack bang in the middle may just break me...

BRING ON THE HILL!

Oof!

That hill was pretty brutal in the end. Ran up most of it but had to walk twice for short periods. Apart from that I had a great run. Almost perfect weather and I finished in about 57 minutes going by my watch. Which bodes well for later in the year and trying to do under 50 minutes on a flat route.

Also slowed down by the track being pretty narrow and the sheer number of runners, but it was a much more interesting run than the Baker Hughes so on balance I'd definitely rather do a slow run at Balmoral than a fast run at the beach.

How'd everyone else get on?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Gladstone

I missed the Balmoral chat earlier. I did it in 55 minutes - total struggle though. I hated it from about the bottom of that hill right til the end. The hill was incredible. I stupidly tried to take the hill out quickly, to get it over and done with, but just ended up nearly killing myself and having to walk. If I'd gone slow and steady up the hill I think I might have got a better time, and not been so wrecked for the rest of the course, but it is completely brutal.

Ran the half marathon in Edinburgh yesterday. Official time 1:54:42. Pretty happy with that - was looking for under 2 hours, which I got. I did bugger all training for it. In fact, since about January, this is the grand total of my running:

Garioch 10k

Balmoral 10k

3.5 mile run out by my house about 3 weeks ago

8 mile run out by my house 2 weeks ago

2.5 mile run out by my house 1 week ago.

So, to say the half marathon was a bit of a challenge is a massive understatement! I've never ran further than 8 miles in my life. Thankfully, it was a pretty flat course, and the sun didn't really come out until after I'd finished, but it was a pretty big effort to keep going once I got past 8/9 miles. From about 9 miles to 12 miles were a real struggle, but I managed to force myself to keep it going, and the last mile is always the easiest because you know you're nearly there! My knees are absolutely fucked today. Muscles are surprisingly not bad, but my knees. Jesus.

Just thought I'd share a couple of distance running tips with anyone who's interested. Like I said - I've never ran further than 8 miles, and these two things - I've never experienced before.

I've got two nice shiny pinky red bits on the inside of my thighs where my boxer shorts have chafed the fucking skin off. That was hoorin' nippy yesterday, especially in the shower, but it seems to have eased off today, thankfully! A mate of mine who runs a lot of marathons and such like, told me (afterwards, helpfully) that you can get a "lube stick" or something from Run 4 It which you just rub onto any parts that are likely to chafe when you're running - I would highly recommend this!!

Second one - my fucking nipples are red raw!! Same friend from above said that a wee plaster on each nipple sorts this out!

I'm not sure if the sore knees is just my body getting rickety and old seeing as I'm only a couple of years from being 30, but I would suggest wearing knee supports of some description - pounding the roads for 13 miles has really taken it's toll on my old knees, and I had a knee support on my right knee which is a bit dodgy anyway - my left knee hurts more, so I think if I'd had a support on my left knee, it wouldn't be nearly as bad.

Anyone else running in Edinburgh yesterday?