aberdeen-music

Music to run by.....

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

I've been getting really into running, something I NEVER thought would happen to me. I basically signed up to do a load of fundraising for Cancer Research with some friends. As part of that I signed up for Baker Hughes and started going out training. When I started I couldn't even run to the end of my street whereas now I'm up to running 20 minute intervals. I'm actually loving it. I've been keeping a blog as well to keep those who've sponsored me up to date with my progress... Learning to run

p.s - my running soundtrack doesn't really reflect what I usually listen to. For example, Lady Gaga is on there, Pussycat Dolls and Beyonce etc.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything with a good beat, decent tempo and that takes your mind off the fact that your running in the first place is what I'd recommend.

I don't often take my ipod out anymore as I got an app on my phone that shouts out my pace every now and then and I like to hear that instead, but when I do then I usually fill it with rock and metal. Pantera, Machinehead, Idlewild, Paramore. Basically anything up tempo and loud.

Less than 3 weeks until the Balmoral 10k and my training has been ruined by snow and bouts of laziness. Lots to do before the start line if I want to hit my target.

Guest Gladstone

I'm running the Balmoral 10k as well - it's got a 1.5km steep fucker of a hill right at the start apparently. 3 weeks to go, and no training as yet, which is why I seriously need to buck up...

This is part of me any my colleagues running at least 300 miles (collectively) for CHAS - if anyone is feeling generous, please feel free to donate...

Cameron McKenna is fundraising for Children's Hospice Association Scotland, (CHAS) - JustGiving

EDIT: By the way - good blog Marie-Claire! Keep up the training and you'll get round the 10k. I remember when I first signed up for a 10k many years ago, I was really worried that I wouldn't make it round, and it just seemed like such a massive distance - I guess it's quite daunting the first time! I bet you get round no problem, and after you've done it once, you'll do it again and again, and after a couple of times it will be second nature to you...

Which app do you use Chris?

Cardiotrainer for Android. It's free, shouts out your times, distance and pace as you go, tracks your route on google maps and uploads it all onto facebook so everyone can see how slow you are afterwards. Can't ask for anything more.

I'm running the Balmoral 10k as well - it's got a 1.5km steep fucker of a hill right at the start apparently. 3 weeks to go, and no training as yet, which is why I seriously need to buck up...

You're going to be one of those annoying fuckers that posts a good time despite not doing any training aren't you?

I hate those guys.

Guest Gladstone
You're going to be one of those annoying fuckers that posts a good time despite not doing any training aren't you?

I hate those guys.

Depends what you call a good time...?

I've ran three 10k's in my life.

I did the Baker Hughes 5 years ago with some training, though a couple of weeks of manflu buggered that up for me - I managed it in 46 minutes, which I was absolutely delighted with!

I did the River Ness 10k last year, for which I had done some training, but again in the immediate run-up to the race, my training had totally dwindled, but I did manage a couple of runs the week or two before. I managed that in 46 minutes as well, which I was pretty chuffed with.

Then, the Garioch 10k this year, with bollocks all training. I had been running a few months previously pretty regularly, but a combination of holidays, shit weather, and a fair bit of laziness saw me do nothing for ages. My saving grace was my return to football after 14 months away. I had a couple of training sessions and a match at centre midfield in the two weeks running up to the run. I think without that last minute boost I would have really struggled. In the end, I got round in 51 minutes, which I would normally be really disappointed with, but the lack of training, a hamstring ready to ping with every step and a pretty sore knee, which forced me to walk for a wee bit, I was quite happy with it!!

My aim is under 45 minutes, but that's not going to happen at the Balmoral 10k - it's not PB material. I'll probably enter the River Ness 10k later this year, and try to go under 45 minutes with some actual training.

Depends what you call a good time...?

I've ran three 10k's in my life.

I did the Baker Hughes 5 years ago with some training, though a couple of weeks of manflu buggered that up for me - I managed it in 46 minutes, which I was absolutely delighted with!

I did the River Ness 10k last year, for which I had done some training, but again in the immediate run-up to the race, my training had totally dwindled, but I did manage a couple of runs the week or two before. I managed that in 46 minutes as well, which I was pretty chuffed with.

Then, the Garioch 10k this year, with bollocks all training. I had been running a few months previously pretty regularly, but a combination of holidays, shit weather, and a fair bit of laziness saw me do nothing for ages. My saving grace was my return to football after 14 months away. I had a couple of training sessions and a match at centre midfield in the two weeks running up to the run. I think without that last minute boost I would have really struggled. In the end, I got round in 51 minutes, which I would normally be really disappointed with, but the lack of training, a hamstring ready to ping with every step and a pretty sore knee, which forced me to walk for a wee bit, I was quite happy with it!!

My aim is under 45 minutes, but that's not going to happen at the Balmoral 10k - it's not PB material. I'll probably enter the River Ness 10k later this year, and try to go under 45 minutes with some actual training.

I hate you.

You smoke a fag all day everyday, so you should be really unfit.

Seriously, I feel fitter than I've ever done at any point in my life. Yet I'd still be fucking ecstatic if I hit 50 minutes over 10k.

That was my initial target but after all the snow and a boozy break in training for a friend's stag weekend (and the recovery) I've revised that and I'll be happy to get under 55 minutes.

I ran 59 minutes at Baker Hughes last year and definitely think I can improve on that a lot.

Guest Gladstone
I hate you.

I should clarify, that until this year where I have really done bugger all for about 3/4 of the year so far, it's not that I've pitched up to these 10k races with absolutely no exercise under my belt. I've always been a regular exerciser, and try to take at least some care as to what I eat, so that I don't turn into a fat bastard. I've just neglected proper, focussed 10k training. I was swimming nearly every day for ages for example, so my basic levels of fitness have always been maintained.

I am not one of those people who just stays naturally fit and naturally thin, whilst eating exactly what I like and sitting on my arse all the time! This year so far has proved that I'm not. I've put on about a stone in weight since last summer, and my fitness level has massively dwindled since the turn of the year!

My mate ran the Banchory D33 (33 miles) in 6 hours 27 minutes on Saturday, without any proper training - that is mental. He'd been running, and playing all manner of sports, but the decision to join the D33 was pretty last minute, so he hasn't been training for it at all. He also ran the River Ness 10k last year in 44 minutes with no training. He is a proper bastard.

EDIT: By the way - good blog Marie-Claire! Keep up the training and you'll get round the 10k. I remember when I first signed up for a 10k many years ago, I was really worried that I wouldn't make it round, and it just seemed like such a massive distance - I guess it's quite daunting the first time! I bet you get round no problem, and after you've done it once, you'll do it again and again, and after a couple of times it will be second nature to you...

Thanks! It's amazing to me just how much you can improve, and how quickly. Genuinely, two months ago I was a wheezing mess after just 30 seconds. The fact I can do 20 minutes now is a constant source of amazement. Still got to get LOADS better before the Baker Hughes. My aim at the moment is just to finish it without stopping to walk any of it. I'm not bothered about a time. Then I'm doing Loch Ness in October and I'm going to aim to do that in under an hour

Guest Gladstone
Thanks! It's amazing to me just how much you can improve, and how quickly. Genuinely, two months ago I was a wheezing mess after just 30 seconds. The fact I can do 20 minutes now is a constant source of amazement. Still got to get LOADS better before the Baker Hughes. My aim at the moment is just to finish it without stopping to walk any of it. I'm not bothered about a time. Then I'm doing Loch Ness in October and I'm going to aim to do that in under an hour

The Loch Ness one is MUCH better than the Baker Hughes. I enjoyed the Baker Hughes run about as much as a kick in the balls, but the Loch Ness one that I did in the same time, was much more pleasant.

The fact that you're running along the beach as part of your training is good - the worst bit by absolutely miles is the full length run of the beach - it's an absolute bastard. It's the flattest bit of the course, but it's just so bloody long, without any scenery changes etc. I very nearly stopped during that part, after a fast start, I was reduced to only barely jogging for about a mile or so til I convinced myself that my legs would still work - the last 3k I somehow managed to absolutely pummel it in, hence the decent time.

The Loch Ness run is far far better, and is certainly PB material. I was much fitter when I did the Baker Hughes run 5 years previously, but managed to match the time when I did the Loch Ness run.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gladstone
I'm now doing the Balmoral 5K on Saturday as a practice for Baker Hughes in a month. Is it really steep? Keep hearing it's all uphill or something o_O

Yeah - the first 1.5k is apparently a bit mental, and a lot of people struggle to run up it (if the 5k is the same course as the 10k).

Circumstances have conspired against me, and I've managed to do bugger all training for the 10k at the weekend. I have been playing regular football and football training, and I'll get a couple of runs in this week, so hopefully I'll be okay!!