aberdeen-music

Music to run by.....

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

The dreaded treadmill this morning for 30 minutes before work, hit shuffle on the ipod and got the following 8 tracks - nae bad..................

1. Hardest Button to Button - White Stripes

2. Poor Misguided Fool - Starsailor

3. Same Jeans - The View

4. Creep - Radiohead (which was very weird as I was for some strange reason thinking about the idea of covering Creep by Radiohead about halfway throuh Same Jeans...)

5. A Design For Life - Manics

6. Archives of Pain - Manics (I got pretty excited when this came on as I haven't heard it for ages! And straight after A Design For Life as well...)

7. Breakin' - The Music (this inspired me to turn the speed up a couple of notches)

8. Everybody Wants Me - Pigeon Detectives (this inspired me to hit cool down...)

All in all, that lot inspired me to about 4 miles in 30 minutes, which isn't too shabby.

What do other folk prefer to listen to whilst out for a hearty run...?

:up:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favourite running tunes at the moment are:

Justice - D.A.N.C.E.

Against Me - Stop

Killswitch Engage - Rose Of Sharyn

Stone Sour - Come What(ever) May

Rammstein - Ich Will / Links 234

Foo Fighters - Good Grief

Sash - Encore Une Fois

Andrew WK - Girls Own Love

Mostly Dance / Metal with a pounding, steady, bass drum.

Good thread, any more ace workout songs would be brilliant

My favourite running tunes at the moment are:

Justice - D.A.N.C.E.

Against Me - Stop

Killswitch Engage - Rose Of Sharyn

Stone Sour - Come What(ever) May

Rammstein - Ich Will / Links 234

Foo Fighters - Good Grief

Sash - Encore Une Fois

Andrew WK - Girls Own Love

Mostly Dance / Metal with a pounding, steady, bass drum.

Good thread, any more ace workout songs would be brilliant

Never been into metal in my life, but I purchased Metallica's new album (but haven't got round to listening to it quite yet) - I'm thinking along those lines would drive you to run faster..... In the same way that real rocking tunes inspire you to drive like a lunatic...

Here's one I ain't actually ran to, but think would be good:

Kings & Queens by Kashmir Red. I had that on in the car a few weeks ago, and felt myself inadvertently easing my foot down on the accelerator whilst singing along at the top of my voice :princess:

The dreaded treadmill this morning for 30 minutes before work, hit shuffle on the ipod and got the following 8 tracks - nae bad..................

3. Same Jeans - The View

4. Creep - Radiohead (which was very weird as I was for some strange reason thinking about the idea of covering Creep by Radiohead about halfway throuh Same Jeans...)

6. Archives of Pain - Manics (I got pretty excited when this came on as I haven't heard it for ages! And straight after A Design For Life as well...)

7. Breakin' - The Music (this inspired me to turn the speed up a couple of notches)

8. Everybody Wants Me - Pigeon Detectives (this inspired me to hit cool down...)

All in all, that lot inspired me to about 4 miles in 30 minutes, which isn't too shabby.

grace jones: slave to the rhythm (first track on the album - i think it is called jones the rhythm)

propaganda: dr mabuse

so you do about 6.4 km in 30 mins then? i do about 6.25km in 30 mins... i'll have to change my tunes....

grace jones: slave to the rhythm (first track on the album - i think it is called jones the rhythm)

propaganda: dr mabuse

so you do about 6.4 km in 30 mins then? i do about 6.25km in 30 mins... i'll have to change my tunes....

Yeah - about that - I can do 4 miles in 28 minutes when running on the open road. That was the first time I've done 30 minutes on the treadmill for a very long time. I don't have the exact figures because when adjusting my headphone round about the 20 minute mark I inadvertently hit the stop button on the fucker and had to crank the treadmill up again. I'm pretty sure I was up at about 6.4ish km in total though! :up:

3. Same Jeans - The View

I would run away from your iPod for a long time and very fast . :laughing:

I used to think that the aforementioned pounding, steady drum beats were the way forward - any metal, punk etc. but have since found that some more chilled out tunes can help to take my mind off the searing pain in my lungs and the inevitable stitch. Van Morrison's Moondance or something like that.

As an aside, you mentioned 2 Manics songs in the same 8 song shuffle. This happens to me all the time. I have thousands of songs in my iPod but it will play 3 off the same album within 10 songs, with a particular penchant for the Flying Burrito Brothers. Do iPods have their own minds?

Never been into metal in my life, but I purchased Metallica's new album (but haven't got round to listening to it quite yet) - I'm thinking along those lines would drive you to run faster..... In the same way that real rocking tunes inspire you to drive like a lunatic...

Not necessarily faster, however, I've found that running to something with a heavy and steady rythm (like metal / dance) increases my stamina by around 40%. When you'd normally stop through fatigue / breathlessness it just keeps you going, and going. Erol Alkan, Justice, 2manyDjs and Rob Zombie's re-mix albums are all brilliant for the big jogs.

I would run away from your iPod for a long time and very fast . :laughing:

I used to think that the aforementioned pounding, steady drum beats were the way forward - any metal, punk etc. but have since found that some more chilled out tunes can help to take my mind off the searing pain in my lungs and the inevitable stitch. Van Morrison's Moondance or something like that.

As an aside, you mentioned 2 Manics songs in the same 8 song shuffle. This happens to me all the time. I have thousands of songs in my iPod but it will play 3 off the same album within 10 songs, with a particular penchant for the Flying Burrito Brothers. Do iPods have their own minds?

I swear the Ipod can read my mind, and knows what I'm doing. Example in my post about thinking about Creep, and it came on next. Then today - the follow up on my shuffle function after running for 30 minutes was the tracks listed below, which came on when I was walking to and from a meeting:

9. Be Somebody - Kings of Leon

10. Disco Dolly - Space (I know...)

11. What Katie Did - The Libertines

12. Yesterday - The Beatles

13. Digsy's Dinner - Oasis

14. See The Sun - The Kooks (I'm going to get an ab-music.com "kicking" for having that on my ipod)

15. Take A Bow - Muse

16. Keep The Dream Alive - Oasis (2 Oasis tracks within 4 songs of each other!)

17. Alone, Together - The Strokes (even the Strokes track was a slow, quiet one)

18. Sunny Inside - Neil Young

19. Golden Years - David Bowie

It's as if the ipod knew I was just walking merrily down the street rather than pounding the treadmill...

And, don't you go dissing my ipod mo'fo :up:

Running songs should get up to tempo immediately - i.e. no long intros. Live songs are good as the crowd noise is quite inspiring and it's always good practice to put some fist-pumpers at the very start, middle and right at the end to give you lift.

Here's my current iPod list of "Classic Rock" running faves used daily for proper, outdoor running....

In no particular order

• Cochise (good shout Bigsby)
  • Highway Star (97 remix)
  • The Southern Thing
  • 2 Minutes to Midnight
  • Detroit Rock City
  • Immigrant Song (live '72)
  • Fuel
  • Bad Motor Scooter
  • White Line Fever
  • Iron Horse/Born to Lose
  • Overkill
  • Bomber
  • Rocking in the Free World
  • Kill The King (live)
  • Razamanaz
  • This Planet's on Fire
  • Bartender and the Thief (Vegas Two Times was discarded coz of all the fannying about at the start)
  • Jailbreak (Lizzy, live)
  • Emerald (Lizzy, live)
  • Warrior (Lizzy, live)
  • Tush (live)
  • Just Got Paid
  • Faith Healer
  • Ronnie & Neil
  • Light Up The Sky
  • House of Pain (Van Halen, nae the hip-hop pish)

The usually covers my runs and I swap some out on a weekly basis

I have a "gym" playlist on my iPod which I put on shuffle.

Here's a snapshot of the bottom half.

tunes_original.gif

Mostly punk but with a little bit of dance and a smidge of everything else thrown in. It's gotta be uptempo though, I try to run in time with it. Though I haven't been to the gym in a while because I've bollocksed* my knee.

If I have to just pick one album to listen to while I'm exercising it's usually "Inflammable Material" by Stiff Little Fingers. Great album for the gym.

*That is a medical term.

I listen to the aforementioned LCD Soundsystem/Nike playlist as well as the other Nike commissioned playlists, all pretty good.

As far as individual tracks:

Bring the Pain- Method Man

100 Miles And Runnin- NWA

Alphabet Aerobics- Blackalicious

None Shall Pass- Aesop Rock

All My Friends- LCD Soundsystem

Mathematics- Mos Def

Fix Up Look Sharp- Ratatat

Witness The Fitness (1 Hope)- Roots Manuva (YouTube - roots manuva - witness the fitness)

List of Demands-Saul Williams (after this seeing this Nike advert YouTube - Nike: My better is better)

Mostly Hip Hop, only really listen to metal when I'm lifting at the gym.

Sometimes listen to the Friday Night Lights soundtrack by Explosions in the Sky when I'm running at night and need to clear my head.