aberdeen-music

Best of 2008

stuartmaxwell

Best Releases of 2008 - Hot Club De Paris - Live at Dead Lake, The Fall of Troy - Phantom on the Horizon EP, Vampire Weekend S/T, the rest of my favourite albums this year have been ones I've discovered this year and came out in previous years

Fuck, forgot about the Hot Club de Paris album! Definitely one of my favourite albums this year, their releases keep getting better and better.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best Result of the Year - Aberdeen 0 Inverness 2, opening day of the season, the guy in front of me and my friend repeatedly shouting 'GET OFF THE PITCH, YOU KEMNAY TINK to Darren Mackie'. He gave a great hug when we got the second as well. And constantly doing the Billy Bowden to the Dick Donald stand, yas.

:love::up::love:

Not so much looking forward to this saturday's return leg however :down:

Best 3 Bands heard this year for the first time - Fleet Foxes, The Miserable Rich, The Mae-Shi

Best gigs this year - Slow Club @ King Tut's, Camera Obscura/The Twilight Sad @ ABC, Goldfrapp @ The Glasgow Royal Concert Hall

Best Releases of 2008 - Fleet Foxes - S/T

Los Campesinos - Hold On Now, Youngster/We Are Beautiful,We Are Doomed

Belle and Sebastian - The BBC Sessions

Slow Club - Let's Fall Back In Love EP

DCFC - Narrow Stairs

Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan - Sunday At Devil Dirt

Best Result Of The Year - Ayr United 4 - Ross County 2.

Man Utd beating Chelsea on penalties and John 'I'm 28 but don't tell my face' Terry slipping on the penalty spot. Waaayyyyy.

Best Purchase - A flat (didn't actually buy the flat itself but rent is kind of a purchase...you get the idea). My Roland Juno-D synth. My new Christmas jumper.

YAS MINS of 2008 - Had two cracking holidays in France including three days in Paris and four days up a mountain on the Swiss/French border which was ridiculously pretty. Spent a large part of they year between Aberdeen and Glasgow. Learned to play piano a bit. Got a degree. Finally managed to stop eating meat permanently after several failed attempts.

Biggest Dissapointments - The realisation of actually having to get a proper job in the real world in about 4/5 months.

Looking forward to in 2009 - Possible relocation to Glasgow. New albums from The Manics, Camera Obscura, M.Ward, Belle and Sebastian, Regina Spektor, Joanna Newsom and The Concretes. Hopefully going to Stockholm on holidays.

• 2 weeks later...

Best 3 Bands heard this year for the first time - Jesu, Desalvo, Ted Maul

Best gigs this year - Radiohead @ Glasgow Green, The Blue Nile @ RCH, K*** And The Gang @ Henry's, and loads of top local gigs I can't remember

Best Releases of 2008 - Desalvo/Mood Poisoner, Pendulum/In Silico, London Elektricity/Synchopated City

Best Result of the Year - R*****s 1 Thistle 1 at Scumbrox, amazing night.

Best Purchase of the year - My Ibanez.

YAS MINs of the year - Getting fit during spring/summer

Biggest Dissapointment - Getting unfit ever since

Looking forward to 2009 - A complete change of my life for the better.

]Best 3 Bands heard this year for the first time Fleet Foxes, Pamela Wynn Shannon, Bon Iver,

Best gigs this year - 1.Dirty Projectors @ Tunnels, 2. Frank Turner @ Oran Mor 3.The Mae Shi/Johnny Foreigner @ Moshulu, 4. Mark Morris @ Wizard Festival, 5. Pamela Wynn Shannon @ Tunnels

Best Releases of 2008 Still loads I'd like to listen to but from what I've got...1.Fleet Foxes - S/T, 2. The Raconteurs - Consolers of The Lonely, 3. The Hold Steady - Stay Positive, 4. Mark Morris - Memory Muscle 5.Black Mountain - In The Future

Best Result of the Year Arsenal 1 - 2 Hull City

Best Purchase of the year Some sort of vinyl, comics, clothing or beer I presume but nothing springs to mind

YAS MINs of the year That Windass goal that sent Hull to the premiership for the first time, Going on tour, Passing 3rd year uni, Trips out of Aberdeen, the US election

Biggest Dissapointment Not playing enough gigs/writing enough. Having no money. The fact I am still a student. I see a connection between the above. Man City 5- 1 Hull City

Looking forward to 2009 Finishing university for good, playing and promoting and releasing more, buying more records, visiting more places, going to see TNA, the FA Cup, the rumour of Bruce Springsteen and Neil Young at Glasto coming true

Best 5 Bands heard this year for the first time

Wintersleep

MC Rut (Middle Class Rut)

Hockey

Other Lives

The Low Anthem

Best gigs this year -

Okkervil River - Shepherd's Bush Empire

Other Lives - Mercury Lounge NYC, CMJ

Oasis - Wembley

Hockey - Portland, Oregon

The Low Anthem - Wool shop in NYC as part of CMJ.

AA Bondy - Austin, Texas SXSW

Best Releases of 2008

Wintersleep - Welcome To The Night Sky

Okkervil River - The Stand Ins

The Low Anthem - Oh My God, Charlie Darwin.

The Acorn - Glory Hope Mountain

Best Result of the Year

Saint Johnstone's continued "almost" towards the premier league.

Best Purchase of the year

iPod Touch after my mk I ipod finally managed to hold a charge for an hour max.

YAS MINs of the year

Loads of work ones

Biggest Dissapointment

Missing out on the Lemonheads. Not keeping in touch with more people.

Looking forward to 2009

Getting married, hopefully a successful year. Catching up with people i've not seen in YEARS.

]Best 3 Bands heard this year for the first time Fleet Foxes, Pamela Wynn Shannon, Bon Iver,

Best gigs this year - 1.Dirty Projectors @ Tunnels, 2. Frank Turner @ Oran Mor 3.The Mae Shi/Johnny Foreigner @ Moshulu, 4. Mark Morris @ Wizard Festival, 5. Pamela Wynn Shannon @ Tunnels

Best Releases of 2008 Still loads I'd like to listen to but from what I've got...1.Fleet Foxes - S/T, 2. The Raconteurs - Consolers of The Lonely, 3. The Hold Steady - Stay Positive, 4. Mark Morris - Memory Muscle 5.Black Mountain - In The Future

Best Result of the Year Arsenal 1 - 2 Hull City

Best Purchase of the year Some sort of vinyl, comics, clothing or beer I presume but nothing springs to mind

YAS MINs of the year That Windass goal that sent Hull to the premiership for the first time, Going on tour, Passing 3rd year uni, Trips out of Aberdeen, the US election

Biggest Dissapointment Not playing enough gigs/writing enough. Having no money. The fact I am still a student. I see a connection between the above. Man City 5- 1 Hull City

Looking forward to 2009 Finishing university for good, playing and promoting and releasing more, buying more records, visiting more places, going to see TNA, the FA Cup, the rumour of Bruce Springsteen and Neil Young at Glasto coming true

I was at that Hull game vs Arsenal... was a great game.

Best 3 Bands heard this year for the first time - Hygeine, Jay Reatard, Observers.

Best gigs this year - Career Suicide at the Old Blue Last w/ Fixed Grins/Shitty Limits (could be any date really), Skitkids at Trashfest, fucking loads, Fucked Up in Bradford, Pisschrist in Bradford, Limits/Sceptres house show etc

Best Releases of 2008 - Jay Reatard - Blood Visions, Cloak/Dagger - We Are, Shitty Limits - Limits Appear, Sceptres 7", loadsnloads.

Best Result of the Year - Spurs winning Carling Cup.

Best Purchase of the year - My Guitar

YAS MINs of the year - Girlfriend!!!

Biggest Dissapointment - Boring as fuck housemates.

Looking forward to 2009 - Gigging/being a tit/drinking.