aberdeen-music

Best of 2008

stuartmaxwell

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best 3 Bands heard this year for the first time : Glasvegas, Santogold, James McMurtry

Best gigs this year : Dick Gaughan, Leon Rosselson and Attila the Stockbroker on the same bill was pretty awesome

Best Releases of 2008 : I've compiled my top 50 songs ! 50 best tunes of 2008 My Weblog

Best Result of the Year : Liverpool losing to Barnsley

Best Purchase of the year : ipod

Biggest Disappointment : musically I'd say the Kings of Leon album

Looking forward to 2009 : looks like there's a new Laura Marling album in the works

• 2 weeks later...

new bands I heard for the first time in the last 2 weeks and I'm absolutely LOVING....

ACxDC, Apathetic Ronald McDonald, Despise You, Final Draft, Hatred Surge, MassGrave, Neanderthal, No Comment, No Man's Slave, Pretty Little Flower, She's Dead, Threatener, Tumor Feast, Uzi Suicide.

I fucking love powerviolence.

Best 3 bands heard this year for the first time: The Gaslight Anthem, Emarosa, New Adventures

Best gigs: Murder by Death at King Tuts, Coldplay at SECC, Gaslight Anthem at Garage.

Best Releases of the year: Consult the top 10 albums thread.

YAS MINs of the year: Joining Headlight, and the subsequent enjoyment that came along with it. Losing my girlfriend, only to realise weeks later how much better off I am now. Also, gaining a fresh appreciation for just how ace some of my friends are.

Best purchase: Guitar Hero III / Freeview box

Biggest disappointment: The Glasvegas album, and Finch's Aberdeen show being cancelled with no reschedule.

Looking forward to in 2009: Hopefully finding a new job, and more Headlight shenanigans.

Hammers are a great band. Daniel is also a king amongst men. The nicest (and biggest) man in hardcore.

Manchester has some decent powerviolence/thrash going on alot of the time. Margaret Thrasher being one of my favourites, although I don't know if they are still going.

I'll have to check them out. For powerviolence in the UK, Leicester's the place to go. Hangover Heart Attack, Make Them Pay, Ghost/Bastard and more.

Warboys are prob the best powerviolence band in the Uk just now though. Fucking amazing.

MySpace.com - WARBOYS. - UK - Thrash / Grindcore / Hardcore - www.myspace.com/mrswarboys

Until his Emo van died a sad death (the reg plate said Emo on it. Classic), yes. He is the very same Daniel. King Daniel.

He plays drums in Carraway with the chap that used to be in 30 Seconds Til Armageddon, and plays guitar in Cost Of Living. And I think Bass in Hammers. And possibly Guitar in Homebase. TOO MANY BANDS!

Guest Jake Wifebeater
new bands I heard for the first time in the last 2 weeks and I'm absolutely LOVING....

ACxDC, Apathetic Ronald McDonald, Despise You, Final Draft, Hatred Surge, MassGrave, Neanderthal, No Comment, No Man's Slave, Pretty Little Flower, She's Dead, Threatener, Tumor Feast, Uzi Suicide.

I fucking love powerviolence.

New release on Sound Pollution:

Capitalist Casualties/Hellnation Split LP.

Try not to make too much mess...

:up:

Best 3 Bands heard this year for the first time:

Triple School (MySpace.com - Triple School - Glasgow, UK - www.myspace.com/tripleschool)

The Muslims/The Soft Pack (MySpace.com - The Soft Pack - SAN DIEGO, California - www.myspace.com/thesoftpack)

Can't think of a third one!

Best gigs this year:

My Bloody Valentine @ The Barrowlands, Glasgow

Triple School/Plaaydoh @ some house in London

Joanna Newsom @ Somerset House, London

The Magnetic Fields @ Cadogan Hall, London

Dirty Projectors @ The Tunnels, Aberdeen

Sebadoh @ The Classic Grand, Glasgow

Silver Jews @ Dancehouse Theatre, Manchester (song dedication FTW)

Fucked Up @ The Water Rats, London

Errors @ Stereo, Glasgow

Best Releases of 2008:

Deerhunter 'Microcastle'

Remember Remember S/T

Errors 'It's Not Something But It Is Like Whatever'

No Age 'Nouns'

Mount Eerie 'Lost Wisdom'

Times New Viking 'Rip It Off'

Make Believe 'Going To The Bone Church'

Burning Star Core 'Challenger'

Best Result of the Year:

Being in Paris for another summer, new flat being totally awesomes, getting asked to play with Sebadoh

Best Purchase of the year:

New bass amp

YAS MINs of the year:

Lots

Biggest Dissapointment:

Probably Hogmanay

Looking forward to 2009:

Fleetwood Mac tour, another trip to Paris.

I really didn't get why Glasgow people were cock in hand about this band when I seen em.

Genuinely, what did I miss?

I really like the lyrics/Giles' voice, they sound a bit like Billy Childish/Coachwhips which is always a winner for me, were funny between songs, played really well, guitar sounded awesome. They were FUN, which is good, too. When I saw them play it was also at a house party, which added to the entertainment.

I really like the lyrics/Giles' voice, they sound a bit like Billy Childish/Coachwhips which is always a winner for me, were funny between songs, played really well, guitar sounded awesome. They were FUN, which is good, too. When I saw them play it was also at a house party, which added to the entertainment.

Cool man, I wasn't meaning to negative or anything! it was just that it was the first time i had seen em or heard what they were like and I didnt understand why so many people were going mad at the gig (other than the fact Giles was involved)

Best 3 Bands heard this year for the first time - The Locust, Crossed Out, Secta Rouge

Best gigs this year - Swordmaster, Secta Rouge, Wifebeater, Jackie Treehorn @ Balcony Bar, Dundee, Hot Club de Paris @ Drummonds, Vampire Weekend @ Barrowlands, Maps and Atlases @ Music Hall (never been so madly blown away before by the technicality of any band!) Desalvo/Blessed @ East Neuk, Kunt and the Gang @ East Neuk, Mesa Verde/Black Channels/GTS @ Tunnels, Flatlands/Kaddish @ Tunnels, Ablach, Wifebeater, Bonesaw @ Tom's

Best Releases of 2008 - Hot Club De Paris - Live at Dead Lake, The Fall of Troy - Phantom on the Horizon EP, Vampire Weekend S/T, the rest of my favourite albums this year have been ones I've discovered this year and came out in previous years

Best Result of the Year - Aberdeen 0 Inverness 2, opening day of the season, the guy in front of me and my friend repeatedly shouting 'GET OFF THE PITCH, YOU KEMNAY TINK to Darren Mackie'. He gave a great hug when we got the second as well. And constantly doing the Billy Bowden to the Dick Donald stand, yas.

Best Purchase of the year - a half-decent guitar, the entirety of the Locust's discography

YAS MINs of the year - getting a girlfriend (holding on to her as well!), booking my first holiday in five years for Valentine's Day with her, joining/forming Wifebeater and getting to meet so many fucking ace people through the band.

Biggest Dissapointment - being constantly poor and having to borrow money from friends towards to end of most months despite having two jobs

Looking forward to 2009 - Paris in February, probably going on an actual proper tour with Wifebeater in April and just generally getting to know loads more people where and when I can

Overall - 2008 has been the best year of my life by such a long way that I can't really put it into words. :D