aberdeen-music

Best of 2008

stuartmaxwell

Best 3 Bands heard this year for the first time - Johnny Foreigner, Hooray For Humans, Small Leaks Sink Ships

Best gigs this year - Enablers @ Tunnels, From Monument to Masses @ Barfly, Hey Colossus @ Balcony, They Died too Young @ Balcony, Stapleton & Cast of the Capital @ City Function Suite, Hot Club De Paris - Drummonds & Moshulu, Last Archives gigs (from a playing point of view)

Best Releases of 2008 - Young Widows - Old Wounds, Johnny Foreigner - Waited up...., Enablers - Tundra, Sun Kil Moon - April, Hot Club De Paris - Live at Dead Lake, Sinaloa - Oceans of Islands, Charlottefield - what are friends for

Best Result of the Year - Montrose 5 Arbroath 0 (Jan 2nd 2008)

Best Purchase of the year - My Flat

YAS MINs of the year - Getting promoted and having lots more $$$, losing weight and playing lots of football, the emergence of Hugh Davidson

Biggest Dissapointment - Montrose getting beat by Stranrear in the Playoffs

Looking forward to 2009 - Gigging with new band (end of Jan in Deen), Promotion potential for Montrose, hopefully some big licensing deals at work, Camping & Sailing season

Overall - 2008 has been awesome!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest idol_wild

Best 3 Bands heard this year for the first time: B. Fleischmann, Say Hi, Thirty Pounds of Bone, Major Matt Mason USA. Wait, that's four, oh well...

Best gigs this year: Mary Hampton + Thirty Pounds of Bone + The RG Morrison @ The Tunnels, Meursault @ The Meridian in Leith, Caribou + Born Ruffians @ The Tunnels

Best Releases of 2008:

Deerhunter - Microcastle

Frightened Rabbit - Midnight Organ Fight

Grouper - Dragging a Deer Up a Hill

Meursault - Pissing on Bonfire/Kissing with Tongues

The Notwist - The Devil, You + Me

No Age - Nouns

Parts & Labor - Receivers

Sigur Ros - Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalust

Unwed Sailor - Little Wars

Best Result of the Year: Getting to ATP for the first time. TIME.OF.MY.LIFE.

Best Purchase of the year: That 70s Show boxsets, Digitech Jam Man loop station.

YAS MINs of the year: Finally getting some solo material worthy (ahem) of live giggage and securing a tour for next year, finding a worthwhile job for a progressive independent company with superb workmates, Caribou at The Tunnels, touring with Kartta.

Biggest Dissapointment: Personally, the end of a relationship. Musically, how The Twilight Sad have dwindled as a live band.

Looking forward to 2009: January solo tour and the liklihood of moving from Aberdeen (not in an anti-Aberdeen way - just to start afresh and seek out a musically vibrant city...hello Leeds!).

Best 3 Bands heard this year for the first time - Alamaailman Vasarat, Secret Chiefs 3, Agent of the Morai (I think that was this year?)

Best gigs this year - Desalvo, We Shall be Blessed @ The East Neuk; We Shall be Blessed, Sunset Squad, Archives @ Captain Toms; Wifebeater, Ablach, Bonesaw @ Captain Toms

Best Releases of 2008Palehorse - Habitual Linestepper, The Ergon Carousel EP

Best Result of the Year Sabres 7 Capitals 1 with Lalime in goal. GET IN!

Best Purchase of the year - Sunday! 2nd Wave BMX frame

YAS MINs of the year - Can't even think.

Biggest Dissapointment - Will have to wait till end of year for this one...

Looking forward to 2009 - Gigs, summertime BMX, drinking, hopefully Sabres in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

This time of year already, how time flies...

Best 3 Bands heard this year for the first time

Fleet Foxes

Beulah

Okkervil River

Bon Iver

Best gigs this year

Smashing Pumpkins @ SECC

Bruce Springsteen @ Old Trafford

Hot Club de Paris/Copy Haho/Little Kicks @ Drummonds

Dananananaykroyd/Copy Haho @ Snafu

Southern Tenant Folk Union @ Lemon Tree

Crevecouer @ Drummonds

Stars of the Lid @ Tunnels

Best Releases of 2008

The National - A Skin, a Night / The Virginia EP

Laura Marling - Alas I Cannot Swim

TV on the Radio - Dear Science

The Breeders - Mountain Battles

Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs

Sigur Ros - Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalust

Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes

Best Result of the Year

Americans doing the right thing...

Best Purchase of the year

The Wire, seasons 1 - 4. I love it more than the Smashing Pumpkins.

YAS MINs of the year

I'll come back to this.

Biggest Dissapointment

Musically, Ryan Adams' and Martha Wainwright's disappointing releases this year. The inability to maintain a stable line up for Panda Eyes.

Looking forward to 2009

Maintaining a stable line up for Panda Eyes and actually doing something!

Best 3 Bands heard this year for the first time Snowden, Barn Owl, Russian Circles

Best gigs this year - Stapleton at the City Function, Brother Louis Collective at the Classic Grand, Explosions in the Sky at the Barrowlands, Copy Haho at Sleazys

Best Releases of 2008 Midnight Organ Fight - Frightened Rabbit, 45 A-Side Records FFAR001

Best Result of the Year - Aberdeen 4 - 0 Copenhagen

Best Purchase of the year - Ping G10 Driver

YAS MINs of the year - 45 A-Side Records, Aberdeen in the Uefa Cup, playing golf properly for the first time in a few years, new college course, working in Aberdeen over summer, Snafu Thursdays, Tonik flair and mixology comp, that 280 yard 3 wood to 8 feet that set up an eagle on the 18th and a round of 75 at Campo America in La Cala

Biggest Dissapointment - Aberdeen in the cup semi-final

Looking forward to 2009 - Potential start up of my new 7-piece post rock band.

actually, i can do a list of records with the help of my friend "windows media player"

deerhunter - microcastle/weird era contd

no age - nouns

grouper - dragging a dead deer up a hill

the sea and cake - car alarm

atlas sound - let the blind lead those who see but cannot feel/logos

charlottefield - what are friends for?

errors - it's not something but it is like whatever

volcano! - paperwork

joan of arc - boo! human

Best 3 Bands heard this year for the first time - Johnny Foreigner, Audrey, Sun Kil Moon.

Best gigs this year - Stapleton @ City Function Suite, Hot Club De Paris @ Drummonds, Dananana... & Copy Haho @ Snafu, Desalvo @ East Neuk

Best Releases of 2008 Audrey "The Fierce and the Longing", Frightened Rabbit "The Midnight Organ Fight", Desalvo "Mood Poisoner"

Best Result of the Year - Aberdeen 0 Inverness CT 2. There has been very very few results to cheer about this year for ICT and Scotland :(

Best Purchase of the year - Couple of old Scotland shirts from ebay

YAS MINs of the year - Playing football 4 times a week, working in a job I like and buying a car

Biggest Dissapointment - Caley Thistle's recent form, fracturing my foot twice this year playing football and not travelling round the world as much as i'd of liked

Looking forward to 2009 - Having the option of teaching abroad somewhere, updating my garden and Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen.

Best 3 Bands heard this year for the first time - Devil Sold His Soul, The Twilight Sad (heard them last year but only really got into them at the start of this year), Take a Worm...

Best gigs this year - Explosions in the Sky @ Barrowlands, Stapleton & Cast of the Capital @ City Function Suite, Rage @ T, Death Cab @ Corn Exchange. The Knot @ SECC (DEC '08)

Best Releases of 2008 - Mogwai - The Hawk Is Howling, BMTH - Suicide Season, Death Cab - Narrow Stairs.

Best Result of the Year - Rangers 0 Aberdeen 1 (Nov 22nd 2008)

Best Purchase of the year - Signed J.E.W. Firestarter/Last Christmas 7"

YAS MINs of the year - Graduation/Getting a Job/Quitting Spar YAS MIN!!!

Biggest Dissapointment - All Hope Is Gone

Looking forward to 2009 - A Holiday, maybe Canada! Going Offshore.

Overall - 2008 has been awesome!

Best 3 Bands heard this year for the first time - Lichens, Fuck Buttons, Apse (just recently so that might change).

Best gigs this year - - Envy and Lichens at ATP (beyond perfection), Desalvo at the East Neuk, We Shall Be Blessed at Captain Toms, Errors every time I've seen them, Mogwai and Aidan Moffat in Inverness ("just like Nuremburg..."), Rememberremember at the Tramway.

Best Releases of 2008 - Mood Poisoner by Desalvo, Street Horrrsing by Fuck Buttons, I Can Hear Your Heart by Aidan John Moffat. (Looking forward to getting the new Rememberremember and James Orr Complex albums though!)

Best Result of the Year - Knocking Arsenal out of the Champions League was quite good fun, as was beating Man Utd and Chelsea this season. Long may it continue.

Best Purchase of the year - ATP tickets.

YAS MINs of the year - New baby half-brother, getting to Hampden for the first time, going snowboarding for the first time in 8 years, getting a job that I'm actually quite enjoying (even if it will bankrupt me... why must books be so inviting?!?!), ATP with Al and Grumpy, discovering 'The Bugle' podcast (possibly the funniest thing I've ever heard along with Fighting Talk).

Biggest Dissapointment - Not seeing my friends enough. Other than that, I can't really say that anything's been awful.

Looking forward to 2009 - Because of one of my best friends stag do's and subsequent wedding, snowboarding holiday in January, the World Cup qualifiers at Hampden, getting my overdraft paid off and all round general good times. Life ain't bad.

Best 3 Bands heard this year for the first time - Johnny Foreigner, Bon Iver, Life Without Buildings

Best gigs this year - Mogwai at the Ironworks in Inverness, Kylie at the SECC in Glasgow and Laura Marling at the Tunnels in Aberdeen

Best Releases of 2008 Frightened Rabbit - Midnight Organ Fight, Laura Marling - Alas I Cannot Swim, Thao Nguyen - We Are Brave Bee Stings and All, Johnny Foreigner - Waited up til it was Light, Fuck Buttons - Street Horrrsing

Best Result of the Year Getting my MLitt with Distinction.

Best Purchase of the year Cannot think of a stand out just now.

YAS MINs of the year Getting my MLitt with Distinction, starting my PhD, getting promoted at work.

Biggest Dissapointment - The end of a 4 year relationship, watching Rangers lose the UEFA cup and the League with boring football (fuck off the lot of you), not getting funding for my PhD.

Looking forward to 2009 - Maybe getting some work published, a few jaunts to Edinburgh and Glasgow. Maybe a trip to France. Who knows, the world's my oyster! Also, hopefully, Rangers winnng the League. Also maybe getting funding for my PhD. And Sleater-Kinney reforming. Sorry, this is turning into a wishlist.

bands - johnny foreigner, frightened rabbit, mountain goats

gigs - caribou at tunnels, johnny foreigner at some jazz club in birmingham, lemonheads at bella probably

releases - frightened rabbit, mogwai, james orr complex, johnny foreigner

result - 4-0 the dandies against copen(who?!)

purchase - new speakers for the laptop - 27 fae amazon - a bargain.

YAS min - how my young kids are developing into right cool little individuals, bone graft on my heel seems to have taken okay.

Dissapointment - Seeing mates struggling for work, calderwoodisms, non-stop media coverage of doom and gloom.

looking forward - Getting fit again, going to a 2 on 3 off rota offshore, aberdeen making 3rd spot..more euro nights :)

Best 3 Bands heard this year for the first time - Take A Worm For A Walk Week, Volcano! , Okkervil River

Best gigs this year - Rilo Kiley @ Slowdown, Omaha, Stapleton @ City Function Suite, Okkervil River @ Oran Mor, Death Cab For Cutie @ Brixton Academy, Shellac @ ABC, Neva Dinova @ Emo's, My Bloody Valentine @ Barrowlands, Explosions in The Sky @ Barrowlands, Amanda Palmer @ King Tuts.

Best Releases of 2008 Frightened Rabbit - Midnight Organ Fight, Conor Oberst-Conor Oberst, Death Cab For Cutie-Narrow Stairs, Stapleton-Rest and Be Thankful, Sigur Ros-me su eyrum vi spilum endalaust

Best Result of the Year: America making the right decision..third time lucky!

Best Purchase of the year: Lush's let them eat cake lip balm...seriously amazing. Plane tickets.

YAS MINs of the year: Travelling, starting my MRes, moving to Glasgow.

Disappointment of the year: Not being able to see more of my friends. Not managing to go to ATP. Being unemployed in Glasgow (where are all the jobs?!!)

Looking forward to 2009 - Getting through my lab placements, summer, hopefully some more travelling.

Best 3 Bands heard this year for the first time - Wild Beasts, Junior Boys (had heard before but never properly lent them my ears), Momus

Best gigs this year - British Sea Power @ ABC, Glasgow, Hot Chip @ The Forum

Best Releases of 2008 -

1. Wild Beasts - Limbo, Panto

2. James Yorkston - When the Haar Rolls In

3. Beach House - Devotion

4. M83 - saturdays=Youth

5. TV On the Radio - Dear Science

6. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!

7. The Week That Was - The Week That Was

8. Eugene McGuinness - Eugene McGuinness

9. Okkervil River - The Stand-Ins

10. Aidan John Moffat - I Can Hear Your Heart

Best Result of the Year - Dundee Utd 0 - 1 Celtic/Aberdeen 2 - 0 Rangers on 22nd May 2008 (the inevitable failure of the Caribou gig on the same night to top the elation of winning the league almost made me put it as biggest disappointment, but that would be a bit unfair)

Best Purchase of the year - Not terribley exciting really, but The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay was good, because it was on a whim, based purely on the book's cover and because it introduced to Michael Chabon.

Yes Man of the year - Going to an Italian beach party where a band was actually playing that Mambo Italiano song.

Biggest Dissapointment - Drinking with the reckless regard for sugar content which results in a diabetic spending part of his first holiday in years in hospital. Shout out to the good people at Cagliari General. Musically albums by British Sea Power and Magnetic Fields.

Looking forward to 2009 - Getting a proper job...although it may not actually happen and I'm not really looking forward to it all that much.

Overall - 2008 has been ok.

Best 3 Bands heard this year for the first time - Ratatat Maserati and Interpol (reaaaaaaally getting into them)

Best gigs this year - Radiohead, glasgow green, T 08, Explosions in the sky barrowlands

Best Releases of 2008 - Maps and atlases, you and me and the mountains, Mogwai the hawk is howling, Portishead Third

Best Result of the Year - Passing my HNC Music!

Best Purchase of the year - My laptop

YAS MINs of the year - Getting into the HND music!

Biggest Dissapointment - Not going to amsterdam

Looking forward to 2009 - Transformers 2, Getting bleezing drunk and going to amsterdam

Best 3 Bands heard this year for the first time - Bon Iver, Laura Marling, Oxes

Best gigs this year - Biffy in Inverness, Alldayer at Tramway, Caribou at Tunnels, That Fucking Tank at Admiral, Mogwai in Inverness, Olafur Arnalds + Yndi Halda at Baribcan.

Best Releases of 2008 Frightened Rabbit - Midnight Organ Fight, Stapleton - Rest and Be Thankful, Why? - Alopecia, Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago.

Best Result of the Year A in English. :D

Best Purchase of the year End of the Road ticket.

YAS MINs of the year Not being a total failure at life, in all aspects. Going to Russia.

Biggest Dissapointment Twilight Sad's Moshulu gig, Mountains, some aspects of the college course. All UK Why? dates being 18+/not being able to go see Death Cab. Frank Turner turning out to be a bit of a sell-out (and I don't throw this term around lightly).

Looking forward to 2009 - Uni? Trips around Europe/to America, ie, general japery between college and uni? Being 18. Seeing Why? (it's gotta happen at some point anyway...).

Best 3 Bands heard this year for the first time - Johnny Foreigner, My Kappa Roots, Guns, Rolo Tomassi

Best gigs this year - Hot Club de Paris/Copy Haho, Greater The Shadow/everythingwesayisfact (it was a really fun show to play) (both at Drummonds), Hyena at the Tunnels

Best Releases of 2008 -

No Age - Nouns

Hot Club de Paris - Live At Dead Lake

Copy Haho - You Are My Coal Mine 7"

Mogwai - The Hawk Is Howling

Hyena - Itchy Legacy

Best Result of the Year - Not sure, really. Oh! Got the best Modern Studies Higher mark my school's had in a while, exams were decent in general.

Best Purchase of the year - iPhone.

YAS MINs of the year - Started reviewing music more seriously, a couple of decent gig experiences, maybe. Hasn't been the best year.

Biggest Dissapointment - Friend/lady troubles, band splitting up.

Looking forward to 2009 - Uni, job, etc.

Best 3 Bands heard this year for the first time - Johnny Foreigner, White Lies, The Wave Pictures.

Best gigs this year - BSP @ ABC, Hot Chip @ The Forum, Errors @ Snafu, Foo Fighters with Led Zeppelin @ Wembley, Misery Signals @ Ivory Blacks.

Best Releases of 2008 - Wild Beasts - Limbo, Panto, British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music?, The National - The Virginia EP / A Skin A Night, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazurus, Copy Haho - You Are My Coal Mine 7"

Best Result of the Year - Arsenal 2 Manchester United 1 (November 8th)

Best Purchase of the year - Ampeg SVT-4 Pro.

YAS MINs of the year - Band getting a proper demo recorded and getting a lot of positive feedback through it, and interest from minor record companies. And the new James Bond movie.

Biggest Dissapointment - The amount of shite bands that have popped up in Aberdeen.

Looking forward to 2009 - Beirut's next album.

Overall - 2008 has been an improvement on 2007.

Best 3 Bands heard this year for the first time - Remember Remember, HEALTH and No Age

Best gigs this year - Justice and Battles @ T, Hot Chip @ The Forum

Best Releases of 2008 - TV on the Radio - Dear Science, Mogwai - The Hawk Is Howling, Los Campesinos! - We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed

Best Result of the Year - 5 A's

Best Purchase of the year - My delay pedal

YAS MINs of the year - Playing some of our best ever gigs, spending some absolutely ace nights with friends, T

Biggest Dissapointment - Not going to most of the gigs I really wanted to attend, especially Errors and Dananananaykroyd

Looking forward to 2009 - Moving to Glasgow hopefully, maybe getting a solo project off the ground, the Watchmen movie

Best 3 Bands heard this year for the first time - Enablers, Islands, Malajube (probably)

Best gigs this year -

Enablers

Stapleton

Chris T-T

Tom Waits

Malcolm Middleton

Danananaykroyd/Errors

They Died Too Young

Best Releases of 2008 -

Department of Eagles - In Ear Park

Nick Cave - Dig Lazarus Dig

Conor Oberst - Conor Oberst

Stapelton - Rest and Be Thankful

Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs

Best Result of the Year - The exam ones that means graduation ahoy.

Best Purchase of the year - 3 sets of earphones.

YAS MINs of the year - Leaving university, re-emerging social life, cutting out bread.

Biggest Dissapointment - My inability to keep in touch with people.

Looking forward to 2009 - Not much, but I'm sure plenty good will happen.