aberdeen-music

Aberdeen pubs and clubs in the 80s & 90s....

Clyde

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, it's Club Tropicana now, just unsure as to whether it was still Mr Gees or something else back in 96.

I know I was certainly in Mr Gee's a few times and I didn't move to Aberdeen until I was 18, which was in 1998, so it was definitely Mr Gee's in 98 if that helps.

Edit - Mr G's.

Then it was Mint from about 2000 onwards I think?

Videoplex>Hoochie Coochie Club>Zuu>Moshulu - there may have been other names in there somewhere....

I frequented the Hoocy a few times as an underager, my first all-nighter in there when my sis & I sang along with Sister Sledge ha ha

sounds kind of like the 'Clappy Valley' or was it happy valley?
Happy Valley was the old Drum I believe?
Yup - That place went downhill very fast.

Still, my most abiding memory was from its time as the Capitol bar before gigs - Esp the

:

My first gig was in Capitol and was Nick Kershaw....I was very young at the time of course!

Strange place, a sort of tiger-inspired decor IIRC & an atmosphere more like a living room than any pub I'd seen up to then. First place I remember with big comfy couches & low tables instead of the then normal hard chairs/stools & formica-topped tables.

It was called Maggies something or something maggies...had leather seats and a fire place with bookshelves?

Barts>Triple Kirks (was only a small part of it tho)

radars > Wodka Bar

Bring back Fever (lane in between dee street and academy) - not sure if this has anything to do with MInistry's building tho?

One of my favourite after football, before going `out` venues was Henry J Beans. Cheapo cocktails aplenty.

For a bonus point what was the wee venue in Summer Street called? Was it simply the Summer Street Community Centre? I think Crass and Poison Girls played there. Major glue sniffing area if I remember correctly.

Can anyone remember the name of that basement bar on the South side of Bon-Accord Square? Other end of the square from the Services club.

Strange place, a sort of tiger-inspired decor IIRC & an atmosphere more like a living room than any pub I'd seen up to then. First place I remember with big comfy couches & low tables instead of the then normal hard chairs/stools & formica-topped tables.

That'll be The Zebra Lounge.

The George was also The Lodge ( upstairs I think ).

The Venue at the Douglas Hotel was previously called The Flamingo.

The Argo across The Shiprow.

The Drift Inn also on the Ship Row

The Highland Hotel when it was in Dee Street

The Crescent on Bon Accord Crescent

The Hayloft when it was above The Palace Bar in Bridge Place next to The Palace / Fusion / Ritzy / Liquid

Jimmy Wilsons / Willie Millers doon behind the Old Market, has been strippers and might even be a gay bar now?

One of my favourite after football, before going `out` venues was Henry J Beans. Cheapo cocktails aplenty.

Henry J's...fucking hell. Didn't go in often, spent most of my time in the Drummonds/Wild Boar/Ma Camerons Triangle, but when I did, I rarely left as the same person that went in.

Slightly related but not - Charlie's American Bar - is that still on the go? There was a dreadful advert on Grampian for a few years with the guy who i think owned it. The advert was enough to put me right off the place.

And there was a club next to a restaurant called Owlies in the mid 90's on Littlejohn St. Anyone remember what it was called? And is it still on the go?

Henry J's...fucking hell. Didn't go in often, spent most of my time in the Drummonds/Wild Boar/Ma Camerons Triangle, but when I did, I rarely left as the same person that went in.

Slightly related but not - Charlie's American Bar - is that still on the go? There was a dreadful advert on Grampian for a few years with the guy who i think owned it. The advert was enough to put me right off the place.

And there was a club next to a restaurant called Owlies in the mid 90's on Littlejohn St. Anyone remember what it was called? And is it still on the go?

Charlies changed it's name to The Cross, then changed it's name back to Charlies. It changed it's name to "The Rig" a couple of months ago. I remember the advert, I was only about 14 at the time, but Charlies seemed like it would just be the fucknig coolest place on earth if you were 14. I was so disappointed when I finally got to go in!

I don't know the club you're talking about but Owlies later became Bar Pivo, then the Aberdeen University Student Union.

Charlies changed it's name to The Cross, then changed it's name back to Charlies. It changed it's name to "The Rig" a couple of months ago. I remember the advert, I was only about 14 at the time, but Charlies seemed like it would just be the fucknig coolest place on earth if you were 14. I was so disappointed when I finally got to go in!

I don't know the club you're talking about but Owlies later became Bar Pivo, then the Aberdeen University Student Union.

"Come on down to Charlie's - we're all having a GREAT time"

:puke:

You should consider doing something with the Moorings Flash.

Put on a sharp white suit and a diamond earring.

"Come on down to the Moorings. We're all having a great time". The folk around you all cheer on cue. Then you wink at the camera and have them superimpose a glint on your tooth and a little "ping" sound.

It's a winner.

They called it Charlie Brown's first, but had to change it to Charlie's after getting a "cease and desist" order from Charles M Schulz's lawyers.

I actually thought it was an OK boozer when I used to be out in town, back in the day, but it seemed to be really crap (and empty) after they changed it, they probably wish they'd left it alone.

Used to love Henry J Beans, circa 95/96 that was pretty much the place to be for me an my mates. They changed it to something else but it was never quite the same.

"Come on down to Charlie's - we're all having a GREAT time"

:puke:

If I remember right (which would be a first) it was

"What are you doing there, when you could be here, having a great time at CHARLIES!"

Then Ricky Simpson chomping into a plate of chips...

Ricky "Rod Stewart's my best mate" Simpson - wonder where he is now? I know he sold Simpson's Hotel a few years ago but he seems to have disappeared...

I actually remember Charlies before it was even a pub. It was an old church that Charles Michie used to own as storage. One of my first ever jobs was in there manufacturing 10,000 mosquito repellent sticks from the raw chemicals for the Army of Oman. True story.

If I remember right (which would be a first) it was

"What are you doing there, when you could be here, having a great time at CHARLIES!"

Then Ricky Simpson chomping into a plate of chips...

Ricky "Rod Stewart's my best mate" Simpson - wonder where he is now? I know he sold Simpson's Hotel a few years ago but he seems to have disappeared...

I actually remember Charlies before it was even a pub. It was an old church that Charles Michie used to own as storage. One of my first ever jobs was in there manufacturing 10,000 mosquito repellent sticks from the raw chemicals for the Army of Oman. True story.

Yeah that sounds more accurate.

In winter 1990 myself and a group of randoms were standing at the bus stop in Culter. It was pishing down rain. There was a large puddle on the road beside the bus stop. Ricky Simpson came round the corner in his red drop top RR (with the roof up obviously) and veered over to the side of the road so that he could hit the puddle sending up a tidal wave of dirty puddle water 4-5 feet high and drenching the lot up us.

If that had been the 21st Century then he'd have been filming it on his mobile at the same time.

Cunt.

EDIT: We knew it was him because his reg was something like RS 1.

EDIT #2: For weeks afterwards I plotted getting a poly bag full of dirty puddle water, or perhaps urine, or vomit, then going into Charlie's, tipping in into a pint glass, and flinging it into his smug mug. But I never did because A) I figured they'd murder me, and B) he's probably never there unless they are recording a commercial.

Great story. His son was a few years above me at school and, by all accounts, a total bell end.

He had a Suzuki Vitara with the number plate "H10 KEV" but with the letters placed HI 0 KEV and went around telling everyone that it was supposed to be like that because he wanted it to read "Hi ho Kev".

No you fuckwit, somebody just got fucking H1 KEV before you, didn't they?

But don't get me started on daft number plates, that's for another thread.

Yeah The 62 Club, I saw loads of punk bands there including Toxik Ephex a few times.

Crass and Annie Anxiety and The Poison Girls played at The Music Hall.

nope, they played at the 62 Club. I was there and my 'mate' nicked the guitarist in Crass's leather jacket! Fud that he was wasn't a mate for much longer

Guest droid

62 club

And the 62,i had a spliff and a scoof of cider with Vi from Poison girls there!....can't remember the music hall gig though.Lots of great times at the 62.UK Subs ,Death in June,The Klan,Hum.

• 1 year later...