aberdeen-music

Aberdeen pubs and clubs in the 80s & 90s....

Clyde

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Glider was the first club I started going to. We used to go frequent it on a Saturday night and were all under age when we first started going. I just remember it being tiny and I seem to remember the DJ being at the top of a small ladder. The bar was basic to the extreme and I also recollect Lemon Hooch being popular.

We all loved going there, and I will always have good memories of it.

• 5 months later...

Pubs and clubs that were good in 1998 when I was a student:

Hullabaloo - had Playstations at the tables!

Paramount - 10p vodkas and 1 cocktails on a Monday night. Plus they had video screens on the urinals where they played videos of Rangers matches so you could piss on them.

Jocks - A Scottish themed bar, in Scotland. Genius. 1 pints between 7 and 9.

Ryan's Bar - Now part of the Illicit Still. I drank in there because they had free boxes of matches on the tables with "Ryan's" printed on them.

AU Student Union - 7 bars, giant projector screen Playstations, ace juebox. Great times. Rock nights in the Factory were the highlight.

Zuu - 10 to get in on a Sunday night and free bar all night. Inevitably led to chaos. Did have to tolerate Greigsy being DJ though.

The Palace - What can I say that hasn't already been said 1000 times? Absolute squallor, but all the better for it.

The Crows Nest - my local. Probably a shitehole. I watched every match of Man United's 1999 run to the European Cup final in that pub because my TV didn't work.

Amadeus - Amadeus, Amadeus. Amadeus, Amadeus. Amadeus, Amadeus. Amadeus.

It later became Maggie Mansells, then I think it was a gay bar for a while. It's where that City Cafe is now. It used to be great.

Where?

There was a place opposite Charlies that I used to go to, they would do a pint or a Becks or voddy Red Bull for a quid until 9 pm or something, was always rammed. At least until 9pm.

Where?

There was a place opposite Charlies that I used to go to, they would do a pint or a Becks or voddy Red Bull for a quid until 9 pm or something, was always rammed. At least until 9pm.

I don't know the name of the street, but it's that one on the way to the Tunnels, where the old Fopp was. It was round the back of E&M, opposite that really dodgy looking amusement arcade.

Ah right, gotcha. It was a really old pub with a proper name that escapes me at the moment.

Had a classic moment once during the "gay bar" era when I was passing. Spotted my old man through the window, you should have seen the look on his face when I phoned his mobile to tell him that it was under "new management".

The loveable old homophobe.

Ah right, gotcha. It was a really old pub with a proper name that escapes me at the moment.

Had a classic moment once during the "gay bar" era when I was passing. Spotted my old man through the window, you should have seen the look on his face when I phoned his mobile to tell him that it was under "new management".

The loveable old homophobe.

Similar thing happened to my old man. He got fed up getting trailed round Marks & Sparks by my mum one Saturday afternoon, so he decided to nip out to the nearest bar for a quick half. Went in to that bar, sat down, ordered a pint and picked up a newspaper that was lying on the bar to have a flick through. Turned to the front page. "Gay Times". Downed his pint. Left.

Similar thing happened to my old man. He got fed up getting trailed round Marks & Sparks by my mum one Saturday afternoon, so he decided to nip out to the nearest bar for a quick half. Went in to that bar, sat down, ordered a pint and picked up a newspaper that was lying on the bar to have a flick through. Turned to the front page. "Gay Times". Downed his pint. Got sucked off through the glory hole. Left.

What are they like, eh?

Guest idol_wild
No just up from the Frigate. I seem to remember a massive fire destroying that gay bar.

Then after the fire, on the door, someone spray painted:

"Ha ha - got you, you bastards".

Have a lookie at this if you want a nostalgia trip.

Photos from Pubs and clubs that are no longer on the go in Aberdeen but still live on! | Facebook

Lots of good photos. These being my favourites. Apparently this is a "Cupid's Conga", though I have no idea where Cupid's was. I'm sure that's Kevin from Coronation Street in the white T shirt and trainers.

36864_401445586364_623676364_4477586_5012240_n.jpg

35321_406242766364_623676364_4602756_3000945_n.jpg

No just up from the Frigate. I seem to remember a massive fire destroying that gay bar.

The Frigate's ok.

The fire destroyed The Pink Flamingo, or maybe it was called Castro's by then. That was a club type place downstairs.

This was a "normal" looking pub further up, think it was called The City Bar.

Have a lookie at this if you want a nostalgia trip.

Photos from Pubs and clubs that are no longer on the go in Aberdeen but still live on! | Facebook

Lots of good photos. These being my favourites. Apparently this is a "Cupid's Conga", though I have no idea where Cupid's was. I'm sure that's Kevin from Coronation Street in the white T shirt and trainers.

36864_401445586364_623676364_4477586_5012240_n.jpg

35321_406242766364_623676364_4602756_3000945_n.jpg

Think I've seen them before, John McRuvie features heavily if memory serves.

Just had a look and there are some amusing pictures of "Charlie Brown's" before lawyes representing Charles M Sculz came knocking at Ricky Simpson's door.