aberdeen-music

Aberdeen pubs and clubs in the 80s & 90s....

Clyde

There was also that gay bar that burned down next to Marks and Spencer. Castros or something.

Anyone remember the joys of going into Oscars? (Now Jumping Jacks or whatnot.)

I remember the place used to be full of tramps towards the end.

Yes, I think it was also the Pink Flamingo for a while (went there with gay work colleagues too, please believe me).

Used to quite like Oscars.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone remember the joys of going into Oscars? (Now Jumping Jacks or whatnot.)

I remember the place used to be full of tramps towards the end.

Yup - That place went downhill very fast.

Still, my most abiding memory was from its time as the Capitol bar before gigs - Esp the Saxon concert where someone had howked-up a barely digested dinner of what must have been several large tins of baked beans, all over the sinks & cubicle door - There was even a 2p coin stuck mournfully in the lock! o_O

It was also very handy that one of our company back then was the offspring of a senior policeman who knew all the plain clothes guys of the time by name & was happy to point them out to us! :finger:

Yup - That place went downhill very fast.

Still, my most abiding memory was from its time as the Capitol bar before gigs - Esp the Saxon concert where someone had howked-up a barely digested dinner of what must have been several large tins of baked beans, all over the sinks & cubicle door - There was even a 2p coin stuck mournfully in the lock! o_O

It was also very handy that one of our company back then was the offspring of a senior policeman who knew all the plain clothes guys of the time by name & was happy to point them out to us! :finger:

Was there not like a mad happy hour at Oscars that seemed to last for days........2 4 1 cocktails and what not....

I remeber those being good times. place looks like a shit hole now...

Yes, I think it was also the Pink Flamingo for a while (went there with gay work colleagues too, please believe me).

Again, it was something else still before that - Not a bad place at all. Had one of the latest weekday licences in the city. We used to go in there on Thursday nights as the start of our weekend. Esp when a mate was going out with one of the barmaids.

Once went-in on a Wednesday night & that was a whole different thing, serious pulling action going-on!

Was there not like a mad happy hour at Oscars that seemed to last for days........2 4 1 cocktails and what not....

I remeber those being good times. place looks like a shit hole now...

Yes, that's right. 5-8, 6-9, or similar. The haze descends! :laughing:

They were - or at least they were above the norm for Aberdeen pubs/clubs of the time. Before the chains took a serious interest - That changed a lot here IMO.

Can anyone remember the name of that basement bar on the South side of Bon-Accord Square? Other end of the square from the Services club.

Strange place, a sort of tiger-inspired decor IIRC & an atmosphere more like a living room than any pub I'd seen up to then. First place I remember with big comfy couches & low tables instead of the then normal hard chairs/stools & formica-topped tables.

A few from hazy memory

Cocky Hunters > Frankenstein

The Tappit Hen > O'Neills

The Granary > Foundry

JJ Booths > Booths > The Wynd > Ninety Nine

Oh god JJ Booths, I had forgotten about that place. Used to go to a weekly music quiz night there in the late 90s. Always got the feeling it was fixed though. Same people every week that won the crate of beer lol........ :swearing:

That's just reminded me that what's now the titty bar above used to be a gay bar called Caberfeidgh (sp). I only went there with gay work colleagues, honest. Oh and Club Sapphire was also a gay bar before it was Drakes.

Im sure la Caberfeigh was under the metro where origin is now. Really all I remember about Castros is that it stank of poo and had castlemaine on tap somewhere else did too but im not too sure where. Oh henrys, you used to have to swim to the toilets.

The old drakes on castlegate was the best place ever so cool

Guest Laura@TMB
Oh and Club Sapphire was also a gay bar before it was Drakes.

Gay bar = "Club 2000" (I think?)

Before that it was "Madisons" (I think?)

then going back in time it was "Buskers", before that "Clouds" (my first visit to the place on Sunday afternoons) and before that it was "Sir Laffalots" which I believe was a go-go dancer sort of place.

Before that it was "Madisons" (I think?)

then going back in time it was "Buskers", before that "Clouds" (my first visit to the place on Sunday afternoons) and before that it was "Sir Laffalots" which I believe was a go-go dancer sort of place.

yep definitely a gogo dancer joint...

(so a friend said)

seriously though, that place was seedy as they came. the toilets stunk of "spendings" i went there a couple of times while i was at rgit, end of exams class night out type thing...