aberdeen-music

Wanted: Singing tips

LiAiL

You mean not covering the mic to make a tunnel? :)

I'm not a singer but this applies to playing wind instruments too. Learning how to breath is very important and probably a good starting off point for progressing. You can achieve a good lungfull of air by inhaling without raising your shoulders, think about breathing down to your feet. Compare that kind of deep breath to a sharp one you might normally take and you will notice that the sharp one only really fills the top of your lungs while you kind of feel your belly move with the deep breath.

The next thing to be able to do is control this deep breath using your diaphragm. A good thing to practice doing, you will find this really hard to begin with, is to try and hold a 5 note against the wall using only your breath. You'll need to purse your lips for this kind of like whistling. Try to control the air from the bottom of your lungs up, this will develop your muscle control.

In terms of becoming a better singer I can tell you what exercises to do but this will definitely help you.

Sing using your diaphragm in your chest, and not from your throat.

Remember the appropriate place to breathe in songs and annunciate, roll your r's.

If you want to come across louder, turn the mic up, dont end up bellowing into the mic.

Eat throat pastels the morning of a show (they can be purchased on the internet and relax vocal chords)

If you want to see if you're singing in tune (when practicing) cup your hand over your ears as it resonates the pitch, making it easier to identify.

Don't smoke, if you can (pot calling kettle black)

Try and match the pitch on songs, if you're listening by yourself. It's fun to sing along and it's good practice.

I'm not a singer but this applies to playing wind instruments too. Learning how to breath is very important and probably a good starting off point for progressing. You can achieve a good lungfull of air by inhaling without raising your shoulders, think about breathing down to your feet. Compare that kind of deep breath to a sharp one you might normally take and you will notice that the sharp one only really fills the top of your lungs while you kind of feel your belly move with the deep breath.

The next thing to be able to do is control this deep breath using your diaphragm. A good thing to practice doing, you will find this really hard to begin with, is to try and hold a 5 note against the wall using only your breath. You'll need to purse your lips for this kind of like whistling. Try to control the air from the bottom of your lungs up, this will develop your muscle control.

In terms of becoming a better singer I can tell you what exercises to do but this will definitely help you.

Really good advice here, I am a choral scholar and basically I agree with Rock. The first thing you need to work on is breathing properly. Everything is easier when you have got this sorted.

Also, I would say that you need to make sure that no part of your body is tense while you do this. You need to be relaxed, resist the urge to stiffen up if you are trying hard to do something. The thing with singing is that your body is your instrument, and anything that you do that instrument will affect your singing.

Incidentally, if you fancy getting some lessons, PM me and we can do a deal :up:

Eat throat pastels the morning of a show (they can be purchased on the internet and relax vocal chords)

No offence, but that advise is a load of bollocks. If you have to eat lozenges before you sing, that means that you have bad singing technique and you are making your throat sore because of it.

They don't relax vocal chords, they just numb them. Which in the end gets you nowhere, you are damaging your voice but you don't notice it, which makes things worse. You should only use them as a last resort, and I mean last resort eg. you have a cold but you have a gig booked.

I might be up for a few singing lessons. Send you a PM some time. You manage to find a sax?

Really good advice here, I am a choral scholar and basically I agree with Rock. The first thing you need to work on is breathing properly. Everything is easier when you have got this sorted.

Also, I would say that you need to make sure that no part of your body is tense while you do this. You need to be relaxed, resist the urge to stiffen up if you are trying hard to do something. The thing with singing is that your body is your instrument, and anything that you do that instrument will affect your singing.

Incidentally, if you fancy getting some lessons, PM me and we can do a deal :up:

• 2 weeks later...
No offence, but that advise is a load of bollocks. If you have to eat lozenges before you sing, that means that you have bad singing technique and you are making your throat sore because of it.

They don't relax vocal chords, they just numb them. Which in the end gets you nowhere, you are damaging your voice but you don't notice it, which makes things worse. You should only use them as a last resort, and I mean last resort eg. you have a cold but you have a gig booked.

Or it could be that they're sore for another reason? illness perhaps?

Yes, I didnt intend it to mean all the time.

I wouldn't call my advice a load of bollocks. From experience and success I've had singing I think I know something as well.

• 1 month later...