aberdeen-music

4 new episodes of Red Dwarf on the way

Lemonade

2 'proper' episodes and a couple of specials. At least the 2 episodes will finally tie up that cliffhanger from the end of series 8.

New specials? Proper information? After all the rumours? Oh smeg yes.

reddwarf.co.uk has the facts. As announced by Robert Llewellyn for Grant Naylor Productions this week at the UKTV seasonal press launch' date=' the project is a short series of brand new specials to celebrate the 21st birthday of Red Dwarf.

Doug Naylor will be masterminding the four half-hour instalments, and the regular cast will all be reprising their iconic roles. They are being made by GNP for UKTV's free-to-air channel, Dave - our new best friends!

Red Dwarf repeats on Dave - including an anniversary weekend run - have picked up remarkable numbers since the channel was reborn on Freeview, and it's becoming clear to all concerned that the show is picking a new, third generation audience. With the usual involvement from Red Dwarf partners BBC Worldwide, you can also expect international broadcasts to follow (and, we'd imagine, a top-quality DVD release in the fullness of time).

It's very new news to me - I really only fully heard the details yesterday, Robert told comedian/host Michael McIntyre. We're doing four new shows with the original cast. Two of them are going to be, like, proper episodes of Red Dwarf. One of them is so exciting I've been asked not to say anything about that because other people will steal the idea - and it is a great idea, quite challenging for us as performers. And the other one is a kind of behind-the-scenes-y... the truth. There's been so many rumours and gossip about Red Dwarf, about whether there's going to be a movie and whether we all get on, all those things... The downside for me, which is just dawning on me now, is I've got to do the 'rubber' thing again, which I haven't done for ten years.

For the record, and direct from the makers, the details of the four shows right now - while wholly subject to change - are:

Show One - The Making Of The Specials

A highly entertaining look at what goes on behind the scenes on a Red Dwarf production.

Show Two - Red Dwarf Special: Part One

The cast get back into character, and costume, a decade on...

Show Three - Red Dwarf Special: Part Two

The adventure continues...

Show Four - A Clip Show With a Serious Difference

The cast do it their way. Red Dwarf as you have never, ever seen it before!

The shows will broadcast sometime in 2009 and, if successful, could pave the way for further Red Dwarf TV projects. Thanks to movie and broadcaster wrangles, Grant Naylor haven't been in a position to produce new Red Dwarf since Series VIII went out to audiences of over eight million in 1999. This exciting development suggests a new and shiny future for everyone's favourite sci-fi comedy.

To be kept in the loop as we cover the new production, register your email address with reddwarf.co.uk in the box at the bottom of the page.

The Boys from the Dwarf are back!

[/quote']

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I felt it lost it when they started filming it differently (don't know the technicalities...but it became very 'digital' and somehow a barrier popped up between the viewer and the onscreen antics).

spot on. it felt like they were filming it in an american studio.

...like when only fools and horses did the 'miami/mafia' xmas special? anyone?

the lighting just seemed all wrong.

I felt it lost it when they started filming it differently (don't know the technicalities...but it became very 'digital' and somehow a barrier popped up between the viewer and the onscreen antics).

I know exactly what you're getting at, I thought season 8 was good though, I'm looking forward to this new stuff.

My prediction - this will be utter shit and kind of embarrassing to watch due to the obvious effects of time on the performers. Cat was quite good in Blade 2 could he not get any more movie parts?

Alan you are spot on about the filming, it's a strange thing that British sitcoms have that rather recognisable 'bright' lighting while American programmes have the more soft-focus touch.

The first 6 series were filmed on a set in front of a live studio audience. Then for series 7 they decided to start filming in a proper film studio, without an audience, which would allow them to use a lot more special effects, have more elaborate sets, have a fourth wall and generally change the look of the show to make it look a lot more professional. However the fans pretty much hated it, so for series 8 it went back to live audience.

I didn't mind series 7 (the one where Kochanski came back) but I thought series 8 was pretty poor, they should never had brought the whole crew back to life, the whole point of the show was that Lister was meant to be the last human, and space was empty and lonely. Plus, a live T-Rex running round Red Dwarf? Sorry, that's just silly. And the continuity issues are laughable, especially the backstory of Lister and Kochanski's relationship (up to series 6 they had never had a relationship and Lister's biggest regret was never having told her how he felt. Then in series 7 they had gone out for 3 months and she had dumped him) Still, looking forward to the specials and seeing how Rimmer managed to outfox the Grim Reaper.

Series 7 definitely has its flaws (Kochanski being the obvious one) but it still has enough good bits to make it worthwhile, the first episode with JFK is awesome. 8 doesn't really have nay redeeming features imo. Bringing the crew back and having Rimmer, Lister et al locked up ruined the whole point.

Series' 4 and 5 was definitely the peak of Red Dwarf.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...