aberdeen-music

Personal Trainers/Gym Programmes

Chris

I do regular sport twice a week but have recently gained free use of a gym through work. The gym is based in the office building and isn't staffed, so there's no-one there to give advice on what you should be doing or helping you to set excercise goals.

Basically I'd like a personal gym programme to follow that complements what I'm doing already, but haven't been able to find any good websites that give me what I want. Can anyone recommend one?

Otherwise has anyone had any success with a personal trainer service? Are there any recommended ones in Aberdeen? I wouldn't be looking for somewhere to leach money off me every month, just that I can pay a small fee for to get a consultation and to provide a program and then I can go back to them every now and then to get it updated.

I

It might be worth seeing if a sports science student in their final year would be interested in helping you out for a few extra bucks..?

Yeah that occurred to me, probably would have been easier to organise if I was still working for a university.

Any sports science students here?

I found one personal trainer service here and the price they charge to draw up a plan was pretty reasonable, but I have no idea if they're any good. So thought I'd see if anyone had some to recommend here before I got in touch with them.

I'm surprised you can't fine a suitable site on t'intermesh.

What are your goals, weight loss? muscle gain? stamina? or just general fitness?

There are some standard rules of thumb that you could follow (happy to share) for any of the above, but getting some guidance would be the best way.

The minky approach would be to get one of the free (or low-cost) inductions/assessments at any of the franchise gyms - then do your own thing.

...but that just wouldn't be cricket now, would it?

at the gym I use, the staff are available for consultation on programme as part of the membership (they are usually sports biomed students)

Aye, but this isn't a commercial gym, it's an unstaffed company gym in the main office building.

Diesel, my goals are increased cardio, speed and strength. Not bulking up though. I do martial arts training twice a week so want to complement that.

In the meantime I'm planning on doing 20 mins on the rowing machine, 20 mins on the weights (haven't planned the specific excercises yet) and finishing with the treadmill and stretching.

How well equiped is this gym?

If your wanting to increase strength/speed you should probably concentrate on olympic lifts. Also squats and bench. Big movements, low reps.

Also if your doing enough cardio during your other type of exercise, you probably want to only do cardio as a warm up/warm down. Maybe one extra day if your keen (when your not lifting).

How well equiped is this gym?

Couple of rowing machines, treadmills, step trainer, cross country trainer, bike, vertical plate weights machine, leg plate weights machine.

Also if your doing enough cardio during your other type of exercise, you probably want to only do cardio as a warm up/warm down. Maybe one extra day if your keen (when your not lifting).

My other training is cardio intensive but I'd like to speed up my improvement in this area as some nights I get knackered really quickly compared to others in the class.

If its muscle gain/weight loss you'd like I could write you a fairly decent programme. Im not a sports science student, but I read up on it quite a lot and have held down a job in a gym before part-time.

For cardio, I'm not so hot.

My other training is cardio intensive but I'd like to speed up my improvement in this area as some nights I get knackered really quickly compared to others in the class.

Sadly, the most effective way to improve cardio/stamina is good old fashioned running.

Cycling and swimming help, but it ain't the same as your body weight is supported in both those activities.

Boring as fuck, but then that's what iPods were invented for.

I've started running at lunchtimes again (now my k-nees are better) and am feeling the benefits already.

A good deal of the pre-season training at any of the Junior or amateur clubs I played for involved hunners and hunners of running - that kinda says it all.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
Running outside is better for you. A treadmill doesn't have the same resistance or something like that.

Running on a treadmill also sucks a lot of ass. I did a fair bit of running in the good old countryside over the summer for the first time in years and it was awesome. I actually wanted to go running!! And it does your fitness the world of good. But, with the crap weather and dark mornings/nights I haven't been able to get out in the past couple of months, but have been playing plenty of football and doing a lot of swimming. I went on the running machine for the first time in absolutely ages (probably over a year) yesterday and remembered how much I hate treadmills. Running inside just ain't the same :down:

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
Ach, put a bunnet and a pair of gloves on min!

You'll soon warm up.

I go out in all weathers and once you get going, the cold and rain are a blessing.

The wind is a bastard though.

It's not really the cold that bothers me - I quite like running in the cold. One of my gripes with treadmills is that after about a mile you're totally overheating cos gyms have bloody heating on in them!!

I leave for work at 5.30am and don't get home till at least 6 most evenings. I live right out in the country so running in the absolute pitch dark is at best a little dangerous...! Believe me when I was running in the summer, I think it was only warm once. It is the North East....