aberdeen-music

Exposure @ Lemon Tree

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

Cheers to everyone who ventured out in the shitey conditions last night.

Cracking night was had by all (except the one punter at 1am who had travelled 100 miles to see McGee and thought he was shit... and told him so, quite aggressively...)

But, given the conditions, I was literally overwhelmed by the amount of folk who ventured out - safe to say I was crapping it a bit for the entire day...

Between worrying if McGee was actually going to get to Aberdeen, to the bands getting stuck in the horrendous traffic en route to soundcheck, to McGee arriving 2 hours late at the airport and having to dash across to Dyce to pick him up, deliver him about 5 minutes before doors open, and then worrying if anyone was actually going to turn up!!

I was a very relieved man a couple of hours later though :)

Great showing by all the bands too, and I think a couple of them will get a gig at one of his Death Disco nights in London :)

Tickets onsale soon for the metal fest in March with Flood of Red (DJ), My Mind's Weapon, Set Light Our Kingdom, allstationsdown, Hot Mangu... see you all there :)

Well done mate - obv i wernt there but by all accounts it was a great night.

I know you put a lot of work into it so glad it was a success.

(still gutted i said no to it when asked to play haha)

Impressive tags on here now....

"biff bang blowjob!" surely being the best ;)

I'm not having the "mcgee = official cunt" chat though. Ask anyone who spoke to him on Friday night - he's a top bloke. Far more pleasant than I expected.

I'd like to revive this thread to retract all previous statements made about Glasvegas as I have come to realise they are the most important British band since the Smiths.

You've seen the light! Unless your taking the piss of course. I said it somewhere else and I stick by it. Not since the Smiths have a bands first singles releases been so consistantly good and they're still coming.

Guest idol_wild
You've seen the light! Unless your taking the piss of course. I said it somewhere else and I stick by it. Not since the Smiths have a bands first singles releases been so consistantly good and they're still coming.

Graeme, you are making it so hard for me to maintain so much respect for you ;)

Graeme, you are making it so hard for me to maintain so much respect for you ;)

You'll see the light. Believe me because I'm wise or old. It's not often I see bands who make the hairs rise on the back of my neck. They were awesome at The Carling Academy a few weeks ago and I went thinking my interest was lessening. Respect some less young man.

You'll see the light. Believe me because I'm wise or old. It's not often I see bands who make the hairs rise on the back of my neck. They were awesome at The Carling Academy a few weeks ago and I went thinking my interest was lessening. Respect some less young man.

They are a terrible band. Their songs are boring and samey, their lyrics are shite and I would say they were the biggest shower of pretentious wankers I've ever had the displeasure of listening to, had I not been forced to listen to Linkin Parks latest effort in my 13 year old cousins bedroom.

They are a terrible band. Their songs are boring and samey, their lyrics are shite and I would say they were the biggest shower of pretentious wankers I've ever had the displeasure of listening to, had I not been forced to listen to Linkin Parks latest effort in my 13 year old cousins bedroom.

Better than Linkin Park is always something I suppose.

I'm with Graeme.

I'm not really one for analysing all the ins and outs of a band's merits. But when I stick that CD on loud in my car, I get totally lost in it, and can listen to it over and over again.

The first time I heard Daddy's Gone, I was sold, hook line and sinker.

Their show at Moshulu was also rather stupendous.

I love Glasvegas. :up:

Local press clubnight review :)

Exposure for local bands

ABERDEEN'S Lemon Tree played host to four local bands last Friday and despite the weather there was a healthy turnout of music lovers ready to sample their wares.

Exposure @ Lemon Tree, featuring DJ Alan McGee, was the first in a series of nights showcasing some of the best bands in the Aberdeen area.

The line-up began with Lady Mercedes followed by Fivefifteen, Rescue Party and Velvet Audio and finished with a session by Alan McGee.

The DJ is a founder of Creation Records and is best known as the man who discovered Oasis - he has also worked with the Libertines, Primal Scream and The Charlatans.

The first two bands had a similar sound to Ocean Colour Scene and Wizard Festival favourites Proud Mary, with Lady Mercedes visually having elemnts akin to Mick Jagger and the Ramones and both bands are signed to Aberdeen label Fat Hippy Records.

It was good to hear a bit of variety in instrument with hammond organs making an appearance.

There was a chang in style with a bit more of a New York punk/electronic sound coming from Rescue Party who had a computer generated background animation/pictures display.

They were one of my favourite bands of the night and my companion agreed, commenting that their instrument playing was excellent, although he did think that the vocals could do with a bit of a polish.

My other favourite band of the night, Velvet Audio, finished the live band secion and had added a bass player since last year, bringing them up to three guitarists and a drummer.

They filled the floor and, although every band had their fans, there was even some moshpit action and name chanting for Velvet Audio.

Their songs certainly had the best musical hooks of the evening and some of their songs had the audience singing along.

Exposure is a monthly event at the Lemon Tree so keep an eye out for your favourite bands or give it a try and maybe find a new one!

Tickets!

Woo hoo!

Tickets FINALLY on sale for March clubnight.......... one for all you metal fans!!

boxofficeblackonwhiteSMALL.jpg

MarchPosterSMALL.jpg

And, just for the hell of it, go buy your tickets for April too....

boxofficeblackonwhiteSMALL.jpg

RODDY-SMALL.jpg

Cheers,

Calum

:up:

• 3 weeks later...

Last night was pretty good, given the whole 4 days to promote Flood of Red...... :)

Cheers to the bands that helped out with various things, including equipment, promotion, playing last night, rushing to and from a wedding (Hot Mangu...) etc etc.

Cheers to Phil for DJing at such short notice, and playing ambient metal music in the opening hour and half, which was a little weird ;)

And, cheers to Flood of Red for playing at short notice and sticking on an awesome show!

And, of course, thanks to everyone who came!

See you next month for Roddy Woomble hosted folk/indie/ceilidh night :up:

Last night was pretty good, given the whole 4 days to promote Flood of Red...... :)

Cheers to the bands that helped out with various things, including equipment, promotion, playing last night, rushing to and from a wedding (Hot Mangu...) etc etc.

Cheers to Phil for DJing at such short notice, and playing ambient metal music in the opening hour and half, which was a little weird ;)

And, cheers to Flood of Red for playing at short notice and sticking on an awesome show!

And, of course, thanks to everyone who came!

See you next month for Roddy Woomble hosted folk/indie/ceilidh night :up:

Yeah, last night was pretty good actually. I enjoyed all the bands that played and they were all pretty tight musically.

Haha, the ambient metal was weird at that insanely low volume limit that we had early on due to the play upstairs but i more than made up for that with a load of brutal thrash as soon as we got going ;)

Cheers for letting me spin ma choons min!