aberdeen-music

Exposure @ Lemon Tree

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

Velvet Audio on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Velvet Audio only formed in 2007, but are one of the most exciting bands to hit the Aberdeen scene in years. Obvious influences include The View and Arctic Monkeys, with their highly energetic set, and youthful lyrics. In their short existence, they have achieved a few highlights, most notable, being the opening act at Wizard Festival 2008 on the Banshee Stage.

TICKETS AVAILABLE HERE

It seems we've caught the attentions of the nationals as well as the locals. Nice :)

ALAN'S TALENT HUNT

Music guru ALAN McGEE is heading to Aberdeen... to find the next big thing.

The former Creation Records boss - who famously discovered OASIS - is hosting the first in a series of monthly gigs at the recently reopened Lemon Tree.

Four local acts will have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to impress the 48-year-old mogul when he plays a DJ set on Friday.

The promoter, left helped launch the careers of PRIMAL SCREAM, TEENAGE FANCLUB, THE LIBERTINES and THE HIVES.

The bands hoping to catch his eye this weekend are RESCUE PARTY, LADY MERCEDES, VELVET AUDIO and FIVEFIFTEEN.

Singer and guitarist for Fivefifteen, SIMON ROBERTS, said: "It will be a great experience to play in front of Alan. He's someone who is important, who's still involved and valid.

"You look at his track record and realise he's such a figurehead.

"We'd hope on the back of this, if we manage to impress, to perhaps get a showcase in London.

"Our music is not a million miles away from Primal Scream, who were a big influence on us."

Taken from Gordon Smart's Bizarre column in today's Scottish Sun, page 21.

Is he actually going to find the next best thing though? I thought he was just doing a DJ set because he's being paid (presumably).

I didn't write the article.......................

But, yeah - he's booked in as guest DJ, but he's there all night, and will be checking out the bands cos that's what he's into. If he likes what he hears, he'll ask the bands down to his Death Disco night in London. :up:

Guest treader.

He clearly knows what he's on about then. Teenage Fanclub are still, in my eyes, the best thing Scotland has ever produced.

(this will probably change when someone says "what about soandso")

He clearly knows what he's on about then. Teenage Fanclub are still, in my eyes, the best thing Scotland has ever produced.

(this will probably change when someone says "what about soandso")

What about Molineux?

Guest idol_wild

I remember Alan saying on national television that "The Killers are the next U2".

I think he tends to champion really shit bands, though one small exception is his latest interest: The Grants (The Grants on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads), who I find quite enjoyable in a low-key reverb-laden sort of way.

It's all about opinions like everything else.

He's championed bands such as:

Oasis, The Libertines, Charlatans, Glasvegas, Primal Scream, all of which I really like, and so do many others - and to be fair - those bands have done not bad for themselves.

As for the Killers being the next U2. Maybe not too far off the mark. Massively successful world famous band, who are in the whole a little over-rated...

U2 are miles better than Killers though :)

Guest treader.

I genuinely don't understand the hype about Glasvegas. I mean, they're enjoyable, but people have been saying they are the "biggest band in the world" and that "he's the most amazing lyricist i've ever heard" and so on.

I genuinely don't understand the hype about Glasvegas. I mean, they're enjoyable, but people have been saying they are the "biggest band in the world" and that "he's the most amazing lyricist i've ever heard" and so on.

I genuinely think Glasvegas are a very good band. At the same time, I can understand why some might not like them.

But, greatest band in the world is just stupid. His lyrics are good, but they're definitely not amazing. It's clever in that it buys into the whole working class thing, and they're guaranteed to be massive, but they'll probably be lucky if they stretch past 2 albums to be honest.

I genuinely think Glasvegas are a very good band. At the same time, I can understand why some might not like them.

But, greatest band in the world is just stupid. His lyrics are good, but they're definitely not amazing. It's clever in that it buys into the whole working class thing, and they're guaranteed to be massive, but they'll probably be lucky if they stretch past 2 albums to be honest.

I hate this myth that seems to be accepted by the world that James Allan is a good lyricist. He's not. He's a self-indulgent arsehole and his band are a poor man's Twilight Sad. IMO, obviously.

Most hateful of all is their awful mix of working class machismo and self-indulgent pretentiousness. The fact they have a song called Stabbed and a song called A Snowflake Fell (And It Felt Like A Kiss) sums it up perfectly. I hate them, I hate them, I hate them.

I hate this myth that seems to be accepted by the world that James Allan is a good lyricist. He's not. He's a self-indulgent arsehole and his band are a poor man's Twilight Sad. IMO, obviously.

Most hateful of all is their awful mix of working class machismo and self-indulgent pretentiousness. The fact they have a song called Stabbed and a song called A Snowflake Fell (And It Felt Like A Kiss) sums it up perfectly. I hate them, I hate them, I hate them.

Haha. Impressive rant.

It's all about opinions, and if I stick a CD in my CD player and I like it, that's enough for me.... I really like driving with Glasvegas on really loud. I had it on in the car for weeks on repeat and never got bored of it.

Guest idol_wild

Have some rep. :up:

Guest treader.

Also what the fuck happened to Stabbed!? Originally a upbeat rock n roll tune was suddenly Moonlight Sonata with James Allan speaking the lyrics over the top.

It was like Empryea.