aberdeen-music

Exposure @ Lemon Tree

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

Lady Mercedes Album Review

If I didn't know better, I'd swear that Aberdeen had a swamp; there is no

other place that Lady Mercedes could have been born. Starting well with

a groove and riff vaguely reminiscent of Stevie Wonder's "Superstition" and a voice that Steve Tyler would be proud of, these guys slither their way out of your speakers and demand that you shake that thang!

The relaxed strut of "Shotgun Revolution", with its stumbling riffing, breaks down into a simple down-home southern blues guitar riff with some truly righteous harp playing. Showing that these guys aren't a one trick pony, "Hey Lady Hey" has beautifully simple four-to-the-floor percussion and an acoustic riff straight out of the Stones' hey-day.

The interplay of two loose rhythm guitars combined with a naturally grooving, melodic bass built on a solid back beat makes this a band to pay attention to. Harking more from English seventies' rock and psychedelia than the Black Crowes did and although far more funky than the Quireboys, it is a shame that these guys weren't around 18 years ago when that kinda retro cool reared its head. Mind you, everything comes in cycles, so let's hope these muthas are ahead of the game this time 'round!

The only let down are the somewhat puerile lyrics that make a Kevin Smith script seem like Shakespeare. While this Bluesbunny has never thought that rock & roll and poetry mix, I did find stereotypical lyrics like "She loves the cock, she wolfs it up" and "I sampled her flower for roughly an hour, but I said no to a golden shower" which pepper the CD, a bit of a let down.

This is an album full of filthy, funky rock & roll harking back to the days when the Twins were still Toxic and Rod Stewart wasn't trying to reinvent himself as the new Sinatra. Get some beers, some gumbo, stick this CD into your player and have a party!

Bluesbunny Independent Music Reviews - Reviews Database - Lady Mercedes CD Review

BUY YOUR TICKETS HERE

Tickets available from Aberdeen Box Office 5

Cheers,

Calum :up:

Rescue Party

Rescue Party are another band who have been making music for many years. They initially formed in 1996 as fresh-faced teens under the moniker Far Side, their sound has developed into something unique and haunting, drawing on strong influences from New Order, Joy Division, Interpol, Bloc Party and The Cure amongst others. Rescue Party's career highlights include supporting We Are Scientists. Their latest recording "Fall Out" was featured on the Fat Hippy Records' Sampler in 2008.

RescueParty on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

BUY TICKETS HERE

:up:

I once paid to see McGee Djing at the Lemon Tree. The fantabulous Le Reno Amps played a magnificent set and then McGee started trying to play records - it was a shambles - so bad I had to leave .

I expected something great but was VERY dissapointed to say the least . He can't DJ worth a toss .

I once paid to see McGee Djing at the Lemon Tree. The fantabulous Le Reno Amps played a magnificent set and then McGee started trying to play records - it was a shambles - so bad I had to leave .

I expected something great but was VERY dissapointed to say the least . He can't DJ worth a toss .

I urge everyone to take heed of what Christy said further up this thread, and ignore this crazy rambling man they call Biz ;)

Yeah, I micht be a wee bit crazy, I and love rambling on, but I DO tell the truth - even I can DJ better than him and that is saying something... which reminds me -as usual I'll be spinning the wheels of steel at the annual Fudge awards in The Lemon Tree, accompanied by Lecht Polanski doing his performance art piece entitled - A short trip with The Boosh - which involves Elvis, a Dalek and boat .

Yeah, I micht be a wee bit crazy, I and love rambling on, but I DO tell the truth - even I can DJ better than him and that is saying something... which reminds me -as usual I'll be spinning the wheels of steel at the annual Fudge awards in The Lemon Tree, accompanied by Lecht Polanski doing his performance art piece entitled - A short trip with The Boosh - which involves Elvis, a Dalek and boat .

Who speaks the truth?

Christy or Biz?

Best way to find out is come and check it out for yourselves............

And, at the same time see some cracking live music from Lady Mercedes, Rescue Party, Fivefifteen and Velvet Audio!

Add McGee into the mix and that is 1 per act. Cheaper than chips.

:up:

Who tells the truth? We BOTH do - aye, Christy is worth listening to, he is a great DJ and fairly kens his stuff aboot music . I widnae be surprised if Alan got some DJ lessons and is now as good as somebody that is good -probably nae up to Oakenfolds standards, but we'll wait and see .

I once danced with Christy in front of Peter Bjorn and John in Nottingham, they played that song wi the whistling -Young Folks - and it was ace .

May

1st-Lemon Tree

DAN LE SAC

Is this just Dan Le Sac or Dan Le Sac Vs Scroobius Pip?

Dan Le Sac my friend - guest DJ for the evening's proceedings.

Full line up for the night is yet to be decided, but there will be live performance from Shy & DRS

Shy & DRS (NEW TRACKS UPLOADED) on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Cheers :up:

I mind that. He had a bottle of red wine on his left Turntable :laughing:

was a bloody shambles, played new order "blue monday" twice I think

I was bein sarcastic.

Maybe I should've called it Kamikaze instead...nah Moshulu use that name already. Think I'll stick with Cheesy Punk :up:

Cheesy Spunk.

Has to be ;)