aberdeen-music

Exposure @ Lemon Tree

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

You guessed it, it's bump time!

5.50 on the door tonight for all this:

7.30pm Doors open with some great tunes on the decks from DJ Massive Throne

Live music from 8.30pm-11pm from kUDAlites / Az-I Cool / Shy & DRS

Then from 11pm-1am - DJ set from the man himself Dan Le Sac!

As if that wasn't enough, take yourself along to Snafu, clutching your Exposure ticket stub, and the nice people will let you in for FREE, where you can dance your socks off to Giles Walker's undoubtedly amazing tunes till 3am.

Simply awesome.

This puppy is gonna be top of the list for the rest of the day, just in case for some incomprehensible reason you were still unsure whether to come or not. This is without a shadow of doubt the best value for money from a night out I've ever heard of in this country.

when is this??...

What?

I was just posting an article about Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip.

Is Dan Le Sac coming to Aberdeen???

Fucking hell - it's TONIGHT!

Just found a preview in yesterday's Evening, so it must be true....

Dan's 'le' man on decks

He's best known for the modern day call to arms Thou Shalt Always Kill.

And tomorrow night sees dan le sac back in Aberdeen for what promises to be an unmissable night of live music.

The artist - one half of dan le sac vs Scroobius Pip - will DJ at a city clubnight designed to showcase fresh talent.

Real name Daniel Stephens' date=' he had been working as a DJ and promoter before hooking up with spoken word performer David Meads. They wrote Thou Shalt Always Kill in 2006 - a satirical hip-hop rant set against catchy electro beats. The lyrical mastery of the track saw it re-released earlier this year, to massive critical acclaim.

The song is a series of modern-day often comic commandments with gems like "Thou shalt not stop liking a band just because they've become popular" to Thou shalt not question Stephen Fry" and the message of the song is "think for yourselves".

The title is apparently a reference to performing well, or "killing" onstage.

Tomorrow night sees dan le sac returning to his roots, by DJing between live music sets at the Lemon Tree.

On the bill are homegrown hip hop twins Shy and DRS, who signed to a Californian music label last year.

Real names Darren and Mark Scott, from Bridge of Don, they netted the deal after posting their music on the internet.

There will also be live shows from Az-I Cool and kUDAlites and set from local act DJ Throne.

Don't miss Exposure at the Lemon Tree, tomorrow from 7.30pm.[/quote']

We'll ignore the intentional mistakes*

*Awe Records are Canadian, not Californian

*Dan Le Sac will not DJ between live acts - he will DJ from 11pm-1am

*Local act is DJ Massive Throne

Okay okay last bump of the day. I'm off to Lemon Tree shortly.

Hopefully see some of you there - it actually looks like I could be Billy no mates tonight, so please do come and say hello.... :)

Aside from this, keep your eyes peeled for some exciting Exposure related news hopefully coming next week :up:

Well that was pretty fucking good last night!!

Dan Le Sac is an amazing DJ. Had the place absolutely jumping right till 1am.

All the live acts were great too. I'd urge you to go check out all of them - they can be found mostly playing at the Funk Machine clubnight at Tunnels, I believe the next one is 5th June in Tunnel 2, but Colin/Chris will be able to correct me if I'm wrong.

kUDAlites were really cool - and reminded me quite a bit on Kanye West. Kuda I think is from Zimbabwe but he's got a real American sounding vibe, and he looks and sounds like Kanye West. Really cool.

Az-I Cool have some amazing beats, and brilliant French rapping. Add to that Colin's sax and what you have is something very interesting, and very difficult not to dance to!

Shy & DRS - brothers from Bridge of Don, with an angry rapping style on top of some ace beats. Some very memorable songs, and catchy tunes. Most folk will know these guys have themselves a record label and an album out. Keep an eye on them, they're going to go far.

And special mention to DJ Massive Throne - one of the best local DJs I've seen.

Never made it to the afterparty as I had a 35 mile drive ahead of me, but I trust Giles Walker continued the night with his usual greatness.....

Cheers to all who came down and made it a great night :)

I'll presume the attendance was good then?

220 paying customers, which is pretty good - should have been better for the level of entertainment to be honest, but it's difficult putting on this kind of music at Lemon Tree I guess, and zero passing traffic. The best thing about it was that it seemed the majority of folk who were there stayed till the end. I'd have guessed at a 200 strong crowd stood there at 1am chanting "one more fucking tune" at Dan Le Sac.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Next Exposure installment:

Friday 5th June @ Lemon Tree

I | R | L

I | R | L return from UK tour, taking in Alan McGee's Death Disco Clubnight in London, Dublin Castle in Camden Town, Roadhouse, Manchester, and headline extravaganza at Classic Grand, Glasgow to promote their debut EP Castles Incomplete.

Comparisons can be drawn with the likes of MGMT and Friendly Fires primarily, but they are unique to their own sound. A raw mix of indie guitars, dance beats, electronic effects and amazing graphics, and Mike Chang's haunting soulful Scottish accented voice leads to an all round wonderful live experience!

Right Hand Left

It's been a while... but Right Hand Left are back live in Aberdeen!

"Another great Aberdeen band on the wonderful Fat Hippy label.

Johnny Ray is the debut from Right Hand Left and moves with the guitar riff power (and shouty singing) of The Automatic.

Hugely uplifting, Johnny Ray has the same emo-hitting quality of Panic! At The Disco with lyrics such as "we get what we want/from time to time".

Another song on the single Re-invent Yourself, has the epic glory of Biffy Clyro and lyrics about going back in time and re-inventing yourself.

Singer and guitarsit Bobby Will sings: "I will re-instate my bank balance/so you can pay your money back". To him or a gangster we wonder?" - Rick Fulton, Daily Record

Marionettes

Aberdeen's answer to the Arctic Monkeys quite simply put. High-paced, high energy, catchy indie tunes. Debut single "Helena" has all but sold out, and this is the last Marionettes gig with the current line up, as their guitarist leaves for the sunny shores of Glasgow. Last ever chance to catch the current set live, before they return in September with a tweaked line-up and tweaked sound.

"[Helena is] very fast, very loud and very promising. At a time when the music business is running itself ragged to sign and promote synth-based and largely throwaway pop, here are a bunch of lads willing to turn the clock back all of four years to remind us guitar music still has a lot of unfinished business." - Richard Brown, Culture Deluxe

Cast of the Capital

Catchy, upbeat indie-pop. Cast of the Capital are like Aberdeen's best kept secret, only not so much of a secret these days...

The new EP from Cast of the Capital has a cracking opening track, 'Passing The Horse' is pleasantly jangly and lo-fi in the same way that Granddaddy used to rock. The tune has an upbeat, catchy melody that is instantly memorable and sticks with you. 'An Organ's Pledge' is gentle and ephemeral yet builds to a swirling crescendo of guitar based noise that sweeps you away nicely. The strains of 'This Thought Of Yours' are light and airy; beautifully plucked guitar and almost whispered vocals, leaving you with a warm contented feel. 'The Witching Hour' has a darker, more melancholy feel but is no less catchy because it quickly breaks into a quicker, heavier pace which becomes almost a pop song half way through.

Following on from their excellent Demo in August 2007, Cast of the Capital build up and deliver on all their promises of beautiful, sparkling indie-pop songs. Lovely. Score: 11 out of 13. - Emma Gould, RoomThirteen.com

(GUEST TO BE CONFIRMED)

BUY YOUR TICKETS HERE

:up:

God I know......culturedeluxe must be so disapointed

But guitar music still has unfinished business. Maybe you can finish it on 5th June, then move onto using your synth... ;)