aberdeen-music

Exposure @ Lemon Tree

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

As I confidently predicted, this was well good!

Sons o' the Soil and The Lorelei were great fun,talented musicians and quality guys to boot. That's the first time I've seen the full-band Panda Eyes and I really enjoyed them; so much better with the drummer, and the violinist really adds something. The last two songs were exceptional.

How many were through the door, Calum?

Roddy Woomble was the life and soul of the evening.

Some very niche choices in there. He was saying he'd never DJed before. I enjoyed hearing Johnny Cash's Four Strong Winds, but truth be told I didn't know much of what he played! Nice, approachable guy.

As for the bands, it was my first time seeing Panda Eyes and I thought they were terrific. Singer (don't know the name, sorry!) has a great voice and just generally really enjoyable music.

I thought The Lorelei and Sons O' The Soil were both absolutely quality as well, a cracking mixture of excellent musicianship and real onstage charisma. All in all, I thought it was a great night!

Guest idol_wild

Wooble was mince.

I am listening to Urusei Yatrusa because I was sick of Woomble playing Jimmy fucking Shand. I swear he was taking the piss. If not then I will never listen to Idlewild ever again.

Woeful.

The bands were decent, though.

Wooble was mince.

I am listening to Urusei Yatrusa because I was sick of Woomble playing Jimmy fucking Shand. I swear he was taking the piss. If not then I will never listen to Idlewild ever again.

Woeful.

The bands were decent, though.

I didn't know Jimmy Shand could attract such ire. Just look at him...

jimmy%20shand.jpg

Guest idol_wild
I didn't know Jimmy Shand could attract such ire. Just look at him...

jimmy%20shand.jpg

Ha. I'm sure Shand is an affable man, but I don't want to pay money to hear his music.

My rant was a little bit drunken, but my point still stands. :)

I didn't think Woomble's tunes were particularly offensive, but not awe-inspiring either!

The live bands were all great. First time I've seen SOTS, Lorelei and Panda Eyes live, and enjoyed them all immensely. Headlight have rocked up a bit since I last saw them, and got to say - AMAZING. Ewan's voice is just incredible.

Numbers were deceptively low on Friday. Just short of 150 in total, but it looked much busier than that. It was a very good night, and a great atmosphere - all the bands got a great reception, and I think a good time was had by all.

:)

I didn't think Woomble's tunes were particularly offensive, but not awe-inspiring either!

The live bands were all great. First time I've seen SOTS, Lorelei and Panda Eyes live, and enjoyed them all immensely. Headlight have rocked up a bit since I last saw them, and got to say - AMAZING. Ewan's voice is just incredible.

Numbers were deceptively low on Friday. Just short of 150 in total, but it looked much busier than that. It was a very good night, and a great atmosphere - all the bands got a great reception, and I think a good time was had by all.

Thanks man!

A good time was certainly had by all the people we brought. Encouragingly,they all had positive things to say about all the bands too, which is great, and kind of in keeping with the point of the Exposure nights!

By the way Calum, I have to say, you really know what you're doing in this department. Probably the best-organised gig I've been involved in. Hats off and all that!

By the way Calum, I have to say, you really know what you're doing in this department. Probably the best-organised gig I've been involved in. Hats off and all that!

It all went to plan on Friday - you wouldn't have said that had you been to the first two... ;)

The snow wreaked havoc in February, and Flood of Red breaking down in Dundee ballsed up last month's plans. But bands turning up at the correct times, and working with the sound engineers etc to get soundchecks done and dusted within the allocated time, meant I was actually pottering about looking for something do to instead of stressing out about where a band is, and if we'll get done before doors open etc!

So, hats off, back at the bands too.

Cheers :up:

Cheers! We much enjoyed it, agree that the organisation and sound were spot on. As for Woomble, well, he played my favourite Wilco song. So I'm happy. :)

Missed most of SotS.

Hadn't seen Panda Eyes since they first started out, back then they had a few songs I could get on board with (usually the more mellow restrained songs) but I generally thought the vocals were too out of kilter with the loud rock style of the music. This had the unfortunate effect of making the vocals seem poor when in fact MC's singing is very very good, it was just mismatched with the music. They now seem to have found their style and it is very good. The violin fits nicely.

Watched most of The Lorelei, nae my cup of tea really, too Levellers-like and I only ever got into a couple of their songsthe singer kind of irritates me but then I remember seeing The Dawntreaders years ago and he irritated me then as well.I suppose he makes a confident frontman tho. Frosty Jack doesn't look like the grimy crusty that I had in my imagination.

Never saw Headlight because I went to get the last train home.

Orinoco's DJ set was largely rubbish, Johnny Cash interludes aside. He walked past me at one point, took me a minute to realise it was him, he's smaller and skinnier than I realised and looks like someone who would clear the tables in some grotty backstreet coffee house.

I thought The Lorelei were totally brilliant. I love the fact they always get everyone dancing. They're a great live band. It's the second time we've played the same night as them and both times I've watched thinking 'Wow I wish I had their confidence' and 'Wow they look like they're having a great time'. I also dig the lead singer. He cracks me up.

I enjoyed playing the night and I felt there was a really friendly atmosphere. I've been really chuffed with the feedback from folk on the night and on here. If I'm honest I was a bit underwhelmed by Roddy's choice of music but this is a minor grumble on what I thought was a great night.

Aye, seconded on the organisation thing Calum, we had a great time. No hassles, just a nice easy time. We had a great laugh, really enjoyed ourselves. Really impressed with the other bands too. Big thanks to Lisa and Neil too, the sound was fantastic. Great night.

You did the most unenthusiastic soundcheck I've ever witnessed. Grumpy drummer... ;)

BUMP

Tickets now starting to sell for this one....

Dan Le Sac DJ set for a fiver is a real bargain!!!

Plus I doubt you'll get to see Shy & DRS for a fiver this time next year....

Added bonus of Az-I Cool + kUDAlites + DJ Massive Throne.

This is going to be a whole lotta fun!

:up: